Author Topic: Lundi, lundi  (Read 9373 times)

Sarah

Lundi, lundi
« on: July 14, 2006, 05:05:00 AM »
Just relistened to the portion of the last show where Tom scoffed at the Mamas and Papas tune in question, and I've got to reiterate what I rather quietly observed in the chat last Tuesday:  of all the bad harmonies and false notes I've heard in my day--and I've winced aplenty--that barely ranked.  Sure, it was painful.  Sure, they probably kicked themselves afterward. But as far as sheer tin eardom goes, this was bush league.  From the kickoff point of one wrong note, they gamely attempted to achieve their usual syrupy concordance; since it was a wrong note, they failed.  Still, my ears have figuratively bled far too often from far more offensive offenses for me to count this failure among even the top 100. 

I know that I'm breaking a commandment by saying this, but it was a cheap shot.  I'm glad that it lifted your spirits the other night to evoke it, Tom, but it was still, if not a filth move, a slightly soiled one.

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

ian

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Lundi, lundi
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 06:06:54 AM »
What are some of your highest ranking bad notes?

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 06:11:00 AM »
If you dont think it ranks, that's fine.

For the record, I'm a Mamas and Papas fan. I love them, and to me Papa John has always been part of the legacy that carries from Brian Wilson to Lindsay Buckingham - the L.A. genius.

But for me the funny part isnt in the bad note. Its in complete breakdown coming off the false ending. Hearing a song we've all heard a thousand times clunk out like that made me laugh. That's it. If it didnt make you laugh, I dont know what to say. (I'll try harder? I'll run stuff by you ahead of time?)

As far as it being a 'cheap shot', Im gonna guess that the band can stomach a shot from me goofing on them hitting a bad note 39 years ago. They are free to call in and take me to task on it.

Tom.

Sarah

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 06:43:51 AM »
Tom, you have yet again proved why I proudly keep my FOT card in my wallet.  The faux-pas you mentioned no doubt represents a massively bad clanger from a band noted for its harmonies.  That I grant without quibble.  But as bad harmonies go, in a world populated largely by the tone-deaf (and even more frequently by the rhythm-free [how many times have you endured a concert, or even a figure-skating performance, during which the audience resolutely clapped off beat? {I'm sure that, given the fetching Jillian Barberie's accomplishments in the rink, you have experienced the latter more often than you care to remember}]), the hiccup you featured can only be viewed as a minor embarrassment to a combo that, over time, was almost eternally competent and occasionally sublime.  And this, as I think of it, may have been why you pointed out the lapse:  tsk-tsk'ing the accomplished for their slipups is at worst petty and at best useful commentary; chastising the inept for their inevitable failures is just bullying. And you, sir, though frequently frightening, are not a bully (although I am, I admit, a-scared of you--and the telephone).

That said, I am, of course, always available for prehearings of the show at your discretion.  Should the Kid request it, that would only be my duty as a loyal FOT.