Author Topic: What is the lamest expression?  (Read 30188 times)

jed

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: What is the lamest expression?
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
"Shit happens, man."
"My president is going to be one half Don West, one half the singer from Venom, thank you very much, good day sir!"

God Stewart

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2008, 10:47:31 AM »
There's a category of expressions that are really lame but that I kinda like, and use occasionally, for that precise reason:

Cripes

Yeah, I use cripes a lot. I've started saying crumbs too.  :-\

Rhode Island-centric phrases that drive me batty:

"Not for nothin' but..."
"Side by each" (instead of side by side)
"Same difference" (this may be a not so local thing)

I also hate it whenever anyone says "irregardless."

I don't care for the term "wife-beater" as a term for a sleeveless tee-shirt anymore than I care for people beating their wives.

And finally, when people say "drive me batty." What the hell was I thinking?

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2008, 12:51:06 PM »
"Shit happens, man."

which always follows something shitty not happening to the inconsiderate souls who say this. i REALLY hate that one.

Sarah

« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2008, 01:36:03 PM »
i don't remember her ever expressing "wonder" at anything, but there was plenty of disgust. tons. constantly. from christmas presents and automobiles to facial hair and the television show "perfect strangers" - more or less everything got her blood boiling. she loved cooking, cigarettes, any type of fast food beef, alcohol, her family, earrings, gambling, stealing silverware and other cutlery from restaurants, and church. everything else was a target and usually got blasted pretty thoroughly.

She sounds sort of great, though a bit scary.

In any case, I think this suggests that anyplace where God left his pants is pretty awful.  Why God leaving his pants somewhere should indicate this, I don't know. (I'm still recovering from the thought of God wearing pants at all and then doing something as prosaic as taking them off--one leg at a time, do you suppose, or in some miraculous godly manner?  Boxers or briefs?). 

Postscript:  I just Googled "this must be where god left his pants" for the hell of it, and I think I found your blog.  I feel like a spy.  Sorry.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2008, 02:55:54 PM »
Everyone knows God left his pants at The Madonna Inn.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2008, 03:11:42 PM »

Rhode Island-centric phrases that drive me batty:

"Not for nothin' but..."

I always thought that was a Hudson County, NJ thing.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2008, 03:14:15 PM »
"I'll wager dollars to donuts..." No you won't, SHUDDUP! 

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2008, 03:37:56 PM »
i don't remember her ever expressing "wonder" at anything, but there was plenty of disgust. tons. constantly. from christmas presents and automobiles to facial hair and the television show "perfect strangers" - more or less everything got her blood boiling. she loved cooking, cigarettes, any type of fast food beef, alcohol, her family, earrings, gambling, stealing silverware and other cutlery from restaurants, and church. everything else was a target and usually got blasted pretty thoroughly.

In any case, I think this suggests that anyplace where God left his pants is pretty awful.  Why God leaving his pants somewhere should indicate this, I don't know. (I'm still recovering from the thought of God wearing pants at all and then doing something as prosaic as taking them off--one leg at a time, do you suppose, or in some miraculous godly manner?  Boxers or briefs?). 

Postscript:  I just Googled "this must be where god left his pants" for the hell of it, and I think I found your blog.  I feel like a spy.  Sorry.

very intense might be a better word - but she could be scary to outsiders. when i'd show up to holiday dinners home from college, she'd grab my stomach when i came through the door and say, "you got heavy." this was her greeting, and from a woman who never weighed more than 90 pounds her entire life no less. a couple of times, completely within earshot (about 2 feet away,) i heard her say "i don't like her" about a girl my brother brought over to the house. "i don't like it" were usually the first words she said while opening a present etc.  i don't think the scenery we passed was awful at all (to her) - i just don't think she liked anything (or not much.) cooking for her family and spending time with us and going to church were her passions - everything else fell under the immense shadow of god's trousers. 

"write it on the ice" was another one. she'd say that if you asked her how much you owed her for something. my dad told me the thinking behind it was that by writing something on ice, eventually, it would melt and the record of debt be erased along with it - which made sense cause she'd never let us pay for anything.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2008, 04:16:25 PM »
I forgot about the most obvious one (to me): "I could care less"

harris

« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2008, 11:40:34 PM »
good times, fo shizzle, peace out, crazy, hot

i hate when people type 'should of' when they mean should have
or 'then' instead of 'than'

Phantom Hugger

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2008, 03:01:51 AM »
good times, fo shizzle, peace out, crazy, hot crazeehot

fixed

jed

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2008, 10:02:21 AM »

very intense might be a better word - but she could be scary to outsiders. when i'd show up to holiday dinners home from college, she'd grab my stomach when i came through the door and say, "you got heavy." this was her greeting, and from a woman who never weighed more than 90 pounds her entire life no less. a couple of times, completely within earshot (about 2 feet away,) i heard her say "i don't like her" about a girl my brother brought over to the house. "i don't like it" were usually the first words she said while opening a present etc.  i don't think the scenery we passed was awful at all (to her) - i just don't think she liked anything (or not much.) cooking for her family and spending time with us and going to church were her passions - everything else fell under the immense shadow of god's trousers. 

"write it on the ice" was another one. she'd say that if you asked her how much you owed her for something. my dad told me the thinking behind it was that by writing something on ice, eventually, it would melt and the record of debt be erased along with it - which made sense cause she'd never let us pay for anything.

It's a shame she never had a radio show, I think most of us would have been rabid fans.
"My president is going to be one half Don West, one half the singer from Venom, thank you very much, good day sir!"

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2008, 11:16:33 AM »
It's a shame she never had a radio show, I think most of us would have been rabid fans.

i don't think she liked radio either - but thinking of her doing her own show, and especially imagining what she'd call it, had me chuckling all morning. as for music - she did own 2 (count 'em - 2!) 8 tracks: "the best of louis prima" and something called "disco italiano" (which is exactly what it sounds like.)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
Andrew, I totally love that the show Perfect Strangers pissed her off.  What an awesome character.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2008, 12:22:16 PM »
Andrew, I totally love that the show Perfect Strangers pissed her off.  What an awesome character.

she would literally flip the hell out if the tv was tuned to ABC on a friday night and she caught wind of the opening theme song. and yet she loved "sanford and son."

she was a trip though and we miss her lots. we usually spend the first 15 minutes of any family holiday meal going over various stories about her. i have to laugh sometimes listening to the best show because her diet was not unlike that of our beloved local hero philly boy roy (tasty cakes, meat, alcohol, NEVER any green vegetables.)

been noticing lately that my mom is acting more and more like her as the years go on (don't all kids, to some degree, eventually turn into their parents though? yikes..) i love her dearly, but she can be, well.. intense.