Author Topic: A History of Violence  (Read 2050 times)

Gilly

• Space Champion!
A History of Violence
« on: January 22, 2008, 04:05:36 AM »
I know I'm way late to the party but I want to thank Bruce who informed me in the chat that the movie was way different than the graphic novel. I would have never wanted to watch an adaptation of the novel, as good as it was. Certain frames from it still have left imprints in my head even though they were black and white comic frames and I would never want to see that reenacted on a TV screen. But, in their original context it made for an amazing story.

So, for those who have read the novel and seen the movie which did you like better? I still like the novel better but I have to say the loose adaptation was pretty excellent as well.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: A History of Violence
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 11:19:51 AM »
I saw this last month on On Demand.  I've never read the novel, but I liked the movie.  I like Vigo Mortensen pretty well and I'm always a fan of Maria Bello.

What I liked was that it was a Hollywood style movie that didn't beat you over the head with being a Hollywood style movie, and a Cronenberg movie that didn't beat you over the head with being a Cronenberg movie.  Just an interesting way to spend a couple of hours.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:28:22 AM »
I just got it from Blockbuster online (it was way down my queueueue, but all the others in front of it have a wait.)  Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Sarah

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 11:54:08 AM »
I'm glad that "queueueue" has taken off.

I liked the movie, too, though I wouldn't have minded being beaten over the head by Cronenberg a bit more, since I'm fond of his work, despite its many flaws and failings.

Laurie

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »
Did I start the "queueueueue" thing? I might have.

I liked it, but I'll confess to also liking Cronenberg's Crash. I am a fan of Viggo's craggy, rugged good looks and also James Spader's creepy hotness.

Gagneaux

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 12:10:51 PM »
I think Cronenberg is generally top notch. I'd like to see Ed Harris in another Cronenberg film.

also:

Maria Bello...mmm

Laurie

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 12:30:25 PM »
Maria Bello's good looking, but she looked kind of sallow and in need of a sandwich in A Histroy of Violence.

Sarah

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 01:15:35 PM »
Did I start the "queueueueue" thing? I might have.

I was the first to comment on how fun it is to type:

You should put The Singing Detective in your queue. 

P.S. Typing "queue" is fun.

But you ran with it:

[/quote]
queueueueueueueueueueueueueue

Also, re James Spader, I first developed a crush on him when I saw him in The Family Tree--god, twenty-five years ago now--because he bore a strong resemblance to a boy I was madly in love with in the eighth grade.  Imagine my shock and horror last year when I watched Boston Legal for the first time.

I thought Crash was trash--worse, dull, as well as immensely silly--but usually find something of interest in even the worst Cronenberg movies.  My favorite is Dead Ringers, although I will always have a very soft spot for They Came from Within, which is hilarious.

bruce

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 02:19:04 PM »
The thing about the movie is that it borrows the central idea from the book Death Of A Citizen. Love both of them by the way.