Author Topic: My hometown floods  (Read 2743 times)

Fido

• Space Champion!
My hometown floods
« on: June 13, 2008, 04:25:14 PM »
Amazing footage of flooding in my hometown, Cedar Rapids, Iowa. This is very rough video, but some of the more dramatic video I have seen -- although flood waters have risen since most of this was shot.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAHC9A5CwsQ[/youtube]

Fido

• Space Champion!
Re: My hometown floods
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 04:33:58 PM »
This video is a little bit smoother.  It's a series of photos that are more nearly current. 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0UQrSNpS_s[/youtube]

dicebourbon

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 04:48:19 PM »
Here's my hometown flooded: http://www.claytoncountyregister.com

My wife and I went up in a plane and took these aerial shots for the newspaper we work for.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 05:20:16 PM »
All this flooding bums me out. I graduated from Iowa 2 years ago and seeing all the terrible footage and hearing stories from friends who have lost things really sucks.

Sarah

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:24:28 PM »
Plus the destruction of crops.  Not good.

kimota

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 05:31:45 PM »
Not to mention the plagues of mosquitos we'll likely be dealing with.  And all the herbicides and pesticides and dumped sewage going directly into the waterways.  If corn is under water for two days, it is ruined.  The list of stuff the flooding will affect goes on and on.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 11:12:57 PM »
I've been through your town many times, dice bourbon. Now it's hard to imagine how all this damage will be repaired and how people and businesses will recover financially, except to say that recovery seems impossible at the moment. However, I think the simple phrase at the end of the video above says it best, "We will rebuild."

It upset me greatly to see, on national television, so many familiar places underwater. In practically all of the photos and footage I watched, I could identify the location of every place in downtown Cedar Rapids and many places in Iowa City. I think I've always dreamed of my hometown becoming internationally famous, but this isn't what I had in mind at all. (Ashton Kutcher isn't either.)

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 12:32:44 AM »
I'm really sorry this has happened to your hometown. This is awful.

Do yourself a favor and do everything you can to stay out of that water. Once it rolls through Cow Country, you are going to be dealing with some scary-ass parasites. Tapeworms being the least.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
sorry Fido...that is sad

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 07:05:54 PM »
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."