Author Topic: Any good M3u converters so I can listen to the show on my Ipod?  (Read 9180 times)

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Any good M3u converters so I can listen to the show on my Ipod?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 05:48:39 PM »
It's actually amazing how shitty people in general are at computers in an office/professional environment.  I'm working at a law firm this summer, and I recently saved someone about a week's worth of unbillable work by pointing out that a particular spreadsheet could be easily generated from some pre-existing data.  Or people will ask me to find something online for them, because they can't construct a google search.   They'd rather have the librarian compile and forward some emails to them every day, instead of learning how to use an RSS reader.  There's this residual aversion to "secretarial" work which is totally out of place in 2008.  I'll never understand the point of pride some people have in asking other people to do this stuff for them, when it would save *them* time in the end to just learn it themselves.  It's time for a new Taylorism!

The network in my office can't handle emails bigger than 5mb. We have an ftp server and sendspace and such exists, but people still send these emails out even though it basically shuts the network down so that no one can do any work for sometimes hours.
Its not just an aversion to secretarial aspects of work, its just a general close-minded-ness to learning how to move beyond the very basic uses of computing.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 06:42:58 PM »
The network in my office can't handle emails bigger than 5mb. We have an ftp server and sendspace and such exists, but people still send these emails out even though it basically shuts the network down so that no one can do any work for sometimes hours.
Its not just an aversion to secretarial aspects of work, its just a general close-minded-ness to learning how to move beyond the very basic uses of computing.

There's of course the amazing, fantastical inefficiency of emailing office documents back and forth rather than using something like Google docs or at least just editing something on a shared drive.  My overall view is that if you work with documents and online research all day, every day, you should take as much pride in actually learning how your tools work and how to get the most out of them as people with real jobs that use real tools.  Not everyone needs to be a hyper-nerd, but damn, you know? 

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 05:52:05 PM »
(see next post)

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 02:02:13 PM »
Update:

On a mac, installing ffmpegX wasn't really all that difficult. But, I never could figure out how to actually download a .rm file. I tried a few different download tools with no success.

So, i recorded the stream in real time with CocoaJT, used ffmpegX to encode into an mp3 and now have the October 24, 2000 show as a 110 MB mp3 on my ipod. Ugh; i hate computer stuff.   :-\

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 04:56:24 PM »
I have a really stupid Mac question: the proper program to use to listen to the archives is still RealPlayer, right? Assuming it is, I can't figure out how to download just the program- every time I try it takes me to either a free trial of one of their stupid paid radio things or a dead link.

Also, I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like the Mac program AudialHub might be able to convert .rm to mp3.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 08:49:04 AM »
I'm not going to even approach the RealPlayer issue as they do everything they can year after year to make using their products as unpleasant as possible to use and as difficult to even download.  For a while the Mac RealPlayer was missing a lot of the shit they piled into the Windows version, let's hope they're not fixing to change that.

Unfortunately no, AudialHub does not convert from .rm.

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 09:23:58 AM »
I use realplayer for the archives.

Looks like they've added that 'radiopass' thing since i've been there. i still have the free realplayergold installer as a 15MB file. PM me if you'd like it.

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 09:27:33 PM »
I think they might just have a crappy site- I just retried it and the download link worked for the first time. But thanks anyway.