Author Topic: Inglorious Bastards  (Read 40485 times)

Sarah

Re: Inglorious Bastards
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2009, 02:31:18 PM »
So it's no Shock Waves, eh?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2009, 03:08:05 PM »
It's easy to be let down by a Zombie Nazi movie.  I think I'd like to see a Zombie Hippie movie instead.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

AndrewVDill

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »
It's easy to be let down by a Zombie Nazi movie.  I think I'd like to see a Zombie Hippie movie instead.

So the hippies would be mindless and slow moving?  Interesting take on things.
You'll like it in hell; it's a lot like New Jersey.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2009, 03:19:24 PM »
It's easy to be let down by a Zombie Nazi movie.  I think I'd like to see a Zombie Hippie movie instead.

So the hippies would be mindless and slow moving?  Interesting take on things.

Yeaaaaahhhh, maaannnnnnn.

HIPPIE 1: Hey, man.  Is that Freedom Rock?
HIPPIE 2: (Hard to hear) Yeah, man!
HIPPIE 1: Well turn it up, man!

[youtube]jKDk-mg1J9Q[/youtube]

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »
Anyone else see this? I expected to hate it, but wound up liking it a great deal.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Creekmore_Banks

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2009, 02:54:06 PM »
Anyone else see this? I expected to hate it, but wound up liking it a great deal.

I enjoyed it. I'm interested in how well it will hold up on a second viewing. During the first time around, I was a little disoriented by how slow-paced it was in several parts. It felt like he repeated the awesome, slow-moving opening scene a few times throughout the movie.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2009, 03:02:51 PM »

I enjoyed it. I'm interested in how well it will hold up on a second viewing. During the first time around, I was a little disoriented by how slow-paced it was in several parts. It felt like he repeated the awesome, slow-moving opening scene a few times throughout the movie.

Weird, I don't think I'll like it either; I wonder if that means I will once I see it like you guys did.

Saw the trailer though, and Brad Pitt's accent is appalling. It's like 5 minutes before shooting, someone dared him to do the whole part in a Foghorn Leghorn voice. I'm not sure I can deal with that thru the whole movie.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »

Weird, I don't think I'll like it either; I wonder if that means I will once I see it like you guys did.

Saw the trailer though, and Brad Pitt's accent is appalling. It's like 5 minutes before shooting, someone dared him to do the whole part in a Foghorn Leghorn voice. I'm not sure I can deal with that thru the whole movie.

He's only in the movie for about 45 minutes. (The movie is 2 1/2 hours long.) I also found the accent pretty terrible when I first watched the trailer, but within the context of the movie, it didn't bother me one bit. It's meant to be comedic, and I thought it paid off pretty well, especially when (*KINDA-SPOILER ALERT!*) Pitt's character attempts to pass as Italian.

That said, the exploits of the "Inglourious Basterds" made up less than a third of the film, and were (for me, anyway) the least interesting aspect of the story. The second chapter of the film (the only one of the film's five chapters that focuses exclusively on the Basterds and their brutality) is easily the most "Tarantino-esque" part of the movie, and is kind of a wash. The rest was, I thought, pretty great.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2009, 03:30:08 PM »
My wife chose it as one of the 2 or 3 movies that we'll get to see in the theatre this year. I'm skeptical.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2009, 05:51:31 PM »
My wife chose it as one of the 2 or 3 movies that we'll get to see in the theatre this year. I'm skeptical.

Did the two of you have a child recently? Congratulations!

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »
The second chapter of the film (the only one of the film's five chapters that focuses exclusively on the Basterds and their brutality) is easily the most "Tarantino-esque" part of the movie, and is kind of a wash.

And so far it seems like this is the part I've heard ALL about, to the point that I thought that this was basically the movie.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »
I thought it was great.  Slow, engrossing, extra creepy through a good 50% of it, and over-the-top.  Why anyone would take Tarantino "seriously", other than just appreciating him as a guy who clearly loves film, is beyond me.  He has always had little tricks in his works, and this one is FULL of them.  

I enjoyed it quite a lot.  

Next up:  Big Fan, Moon, and District 9.

Most anticipated movie of MY ENTIRE LIFE:  The Road.  
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2009, 06:31:21 PM »
Here's an even better question: why does Tarantino get a pass for recycling junk? If anyone else did it, surely no one would pay attention to him. But because this idiot "loves film" so much, everyone loves him.
See God, Kai

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2009, 07:13:10 PM »
This was fine.  His dialogue didn't make me cringe, for a change.  Who knows what the future holds, but this was a respectable unrespectable effort.   

chrisfoll577

« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2009, 08:26:25 PM »
I saw 'Basterds' today, and thought it was a Tarantino movie if Tarantino made a movie specifically for my taste.  I'm not one for crime dramas or gangster films, but World War II movies are right up my alley... thoroughly acknowledging that the subject's been beaten into the ground for over sixty years.

It wasn't a great film, but I saw the Tarantino treatment of WWII as kind of an anti-Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers that cleansed the palate of the overly mournful and solemn Second World War epics we've seen over the last ten years or so.  It was kind of cathartic and thoroughly suspensful... even though I'd like to see the actual 'Basterds' characters fleshed out a little more.

Another aspect that I appreciated was the contrast between profound, sickening brutality and the shallow glamor of Nazi imagery through fashion, cinema and celebrity throughout the film.