Author Topic: Cute New Novel I'm Writing  (Read 1687 times)

Petey

Cute New Novel I'm Writing
« on: July 15, 2008, 09:56:44 PM »
I'm wondering if this plot synopsis is as bad as a Geoffrey chain email. Can you bros and sistas please assure me that it's not?

I'm writing this new book which will be titled Salmon Head Rising Above Water, which is the definition of the Miwok (native american tribe) word Lise. Reasons why I chose this title will remain ambigious, but Salmon does taste pretty fucking good. The story takes place on a little island in a fictional world where humans are the only land creatures, while the rest of the animals and plants live in the sea. Humanity is divided into different castes in order to secure order. Kind of like bees, the workers are separated from those that reproduce. Unlike bees though, the King in each "colony" is the father of an entire generation.
   The people of this world worship a giant man in the sky, who they deem as their God, probably because they see him every day looking down at them. The majority of the population spends their days harvesting the only land plant. They throw the fruit they harvest into the sea in order to purify the water. The giant man in turn drinks it, spits it up, and makes it consumable. Although they do this to survive, the main reason for human existence is to keep the population of the sea animals in check. Besides this, all the animals in the ocean live in harmony with each other for eternity.
   Anyway, now that I took care of the setting, the story concerns the soon to be king, Prince Chogan, and his initiation into Kinghood. While this is happening, a disease ravages the mainland and kills everybody, and Chogan is left to propagate human life as the only ruler of the last human colony.

love pd

Trembling Eagle

Re: Cute New Novel I'm Writing
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:53:30 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eusocial

I like the idea of a eusocial human community, but I think you should consider making the leaders female.

Trotskie

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 08:27:43 AM »
I'm curious enough to read more.

One thing to watch out for (maybe?)...  Sometimes I think stories like this tend to skew towards anecdote and away from a more contemporary/conversational narrative; one that is more in tune with modern readers thought patterns.  Anecdotes always seem kind of dried on the vine to me; lacking a sense of propulsive animation which would keep them fluid in the attention span of the reader.

I've always thought that this was one of your (public persona's) strengths: the ability to channel imagination through a unique, frustrating, but somehow endearing use of language.  It... tricks me into listening maybe...makes me care enough to make me want to figure out what the fuck is going on.  Gives the raw imagination an empathetic personality.

I'm not sure why I have an opinion on this, but there it is.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 08:45:42 AM »

Petey

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:45:33 AM »
I'm curious enough to read more.

One thing to watch out for (maybe?)...  Sometimes I think stories like this tend to skew towards anecdote and away from a more contemporary/conversational narrative; one that is more in tune with modern readers thought patterns.  Anecdotes always seem kind of dried on the vine to me; lacking a sense of propulsive animation which would keep them fluid in the attention span of the reader.

I've always thought that this was one of your (public persona's) strengths: the ability to channel imagination through a unique, frustrating, but somehow endearing use of language.  It... tricks me into listening maybe...makes me care enough to make me want to figure out what the fuck is going on.  Gives the raw imagination an empathetic personality.

I'm not sure why I have an opinion on this, but there it is.

yeah i know what you mean about it becoming an anecdote. I was just going to try to make good characters I guess and have interesting conflicts, the setting and the idea of the world wouldn't be that important. I just wouldn't want it to be completely stupid.

I want the book to be a kind of fairy tale. Most Hans Christian fairy tale ideas are dumb but they're written really well.