Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1034722 times)

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #3720 on: December 12, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3721 on: December 12, 2014, 02:58:09 PM »
are you from Oklahoma, or simply blessed with a preternatual sense of what's good?

The latter; I discovered CK in 1992 when a friend recommended Flipped Out in Singapore (I believe he saw them open for the Smashing Pumpkins on their Gish tour). I bought it at a Sam Goody at the mall!  Said Sam Goody remains one of the more baffling retail outlets I've ever encountered.  It was a chain store in a suburban mall and they had sections devoted to labels like Trance Syndicate.

that's awesome!  I've always maintained that they should have been much larger rockstars than a walk-on t-shirt in the movie Empire Records.  I think, for what it's worth, a few of the Smashing Pumpkins tried, but then one got a nasty crack habit, and the other was James Iha.

The Pumpkins were general fans of CK, and, yes, IHA and D’arcy had that Scratchie Records imprint that released CK’s self-titled follow-up to Pop Heiress.  I think that album is pretty good, but not at the level of the first three. In advance of the s/t album, Scratchie also released that “Grandaddy's Candy”/”Bones in My Teeth” single (I bought the CD single at Best Buy!).  G-Candy is a great track.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3722 on: December 13, 2014, 10:24:29 PM »
Les Satellites- Les Voisons Du Dessus

not that clay

« Reply #3723 on: December 13, 2014, 11:54:41 PM »
Tom Waits. Still getting it, still not liking it.

Biscuit Gravy

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3724 on: December 16, 2014, 11:03:02 PM »
this morning's continuation of listening to 'nothing but' The Best Show began with the episode recorded the week that Lou Reed died, and ended with (coincidentally)Tom's announcement of the final seven shows on WFMU.

being a long time Lou Reed fan, I became a little melancholy at first, thinking back to how much talent was lost, but now, given today's rebirth of The Best show, I find myself hoping that on some sort of astral plane (even if it's one reserved for junkies and freaks), Lou is also taking to the stage.

god, I hope he plays a 20-minute Sister Ray.

Mike Desert

« Reply #3725 on: December 22, 2014, 01:06:28 PM »
even though it's not raining, I'm listening to the sound of the rain...

R. Stevie Moore - Get The Job Done

euphoriafish

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3726 on: December 23, 2014, 01:47:09 AM »
I'm listening to Kazak Lullabye performed by Keiko Abe and Katarzyna Mycka on Spotify.

If you were wondering where to start listening to mallet percussion pieces, other than Frank Zappa, here's a start: http://spoti.fi/1v9JYji

I'm always looking for more mallet ensembles, mallet jazz, and mallet rock.  This isn't rock, but meditative classical.  My percussion director told me to listen to Keiko Abe in high school and I didn't have money or know where to look but I got through marching season anyway.  Now I have Spotify and can explore her music more easily. 

I'm also into jazz by players like Terry Pollard, heard here on Seven Come Eleven:
http://open.spotify.com/track/52uTtOrOBLe7MtlKXDTNgd

Looking for keyboard lute bandmates in Lord of the Rings Online to play songs from Spaced Out (Shatner and Nimoy) and any other greatest hits.  Find Percabald on Brandywine server most days 9-12 US cst, O to friend, IM to IM.  30 min maybe to new hobbit minstrel with lute.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3727 on: December 23, 2014, 09:45:58 AM »
I'm listening to Kazak Lullabye performed by Keiko Abe and Katarzyna Mycka on Spotify.

I was the first viewer of this video. It was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkRINa-24WE
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

euphoriafish

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3728 on: December 27, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »

You reminded me about my divide on love/hate for Bing Crosby.  Maybe Red Meat in The Onion, MST3K and Robin Williams "golfing with Gary" impressions, or the "My Study" scenes in Moral Orel ruined him for me-- Old Guard Patriarchy Male Knows Best While Smoking Pipe really creeps me out with his icy blue crazy eyes.  I can't bear him without an Andrews sister or a Boswell sister anymore.  It's like the female voices even out the pipe symbol memory and my psyche is ok with his golden voice again.

This is my current favorite from that ilk:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZJur7Yeev-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was so positive he was singing with the Andrews Sisters, but it's actually with Connie Boswell.  I probably had Andrews Sisters on the brain lately because I assistant directed a local community theater production of It's a Wonderful Life and we had a choral trio sing Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy a capella as an opening act to the radio version of the play.

Anyway, it's more fun to whistle than to think about.
Looking for keyboard lute bandmates in Lord of the Rings Online to play songs from Spaced Out (Shatner and Nimoy) and any other greatest hits.  Find Percabald on Brandywine server most days 9-12 US cst, O to friend, IM to IM.  30 min maybe to new hobbit minstrel with lute.

Mike Desert

« Reply #3729 on: December 29, 2014, 01:35:17 PM »
I was just listening to the Andrew Sisters Christmas special last week, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG0YKelBHe0

right now it's Tom Newman's Fine Old Tom CD

www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3176LHAmMc

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3730 on: December 29, 2014, 11:39:52 PM »

I gave Waits another try recently. Unfortunately, my opinion of him remains unchanged. He sucks. Captain Beefheart did it first and he did it better.

NP:

Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Biscuit Gravy

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3731 on: December 30, 2014, 01:57:41 AM »

Reissue - only took a month to get here, at the bottom of the world.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3732 on: December 30, 2014, 08:36:03 AM »

I gave Waits another try recently. Unfortunately, my opinion of him remains unchanged. He sucks. Captain Beefheart did it first and he did it better.

NP:

I saw Steve Gunn in the back yard at Fond Object.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Mike Desert

« Reply #3733 on: December 30, 2014, 12:48:54 PM »
Had a weird dream last night I was trying to cover this song but I couldn't figure out the lyrics and it was making me super frustrated, so now I'm listening to it since it's been stuck in my head since I woke up...

www.youtube.com//www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNWel2bx4pM

Mike Desert

« Reply #3734 on: December 31, 2014, 04:04:53 PM »
Forgot how much I liked this record when it came out

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKquzN8S_Cc
[/quote]