Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1022859 times)

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2008, 05:55:33 PM »
why would there be a backlash?

Because a lot of people like them, which apparently is reason enough to hate something you once liked.

true story.  apparently its a crime for being born "after the fact" and discovering something after someone who got to enjoy it during its heyday.  or, you know, youre a different person than you used to be and now enjoy the finer things, making you a fake.

...is my bitter showing?

joanna

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2008, 06:10:31 PM »

Because a lot of people like them, which apparently is reason enough to hate something you once liked.

true story.  apparently its a crime for being born "after the fact" and discovering something after someone who got to enjoy it during its heyday.  or, you know, youre a different person than you used to be and now enjoy the finer things, making you a fake.

...is my bitter showing?

just stop hanging out with morons like that?

problem solved!

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2008, 06:22:22 PM »

...is my bitter showing?

just stop hanging out with morons like that?

problem solved!

oh no, joanna...unfortunately, these are people met on the fly who have no problem letting me know what they think of certain inexperiences i have/once had.  trust me, i make a point not to hang with crummy jerks. 

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2008, 10:14:24 PM »
Love 666 "Please Kill Yourself so I Can Rock"

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2008, 08:44:52 AM »
Love 666 "Please Kill Yourself so I Can Rock"

Angry Mr. Bungle fan?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2008, 09:27:55 AM »

You got this exactly right, MOP. I used to assist on shifts on the local college radio station, and I specifically remember that every person that worked there practically worshipped U2 until Sunday Bloody Sunday started playing on MTV, and overnight they became pariahs. We had an advance copy of The Cars debut, it was a big office favorite.....until it got released and they immediately started playing "My Best Friend's Girl" on the local commercial rock station. REM, same story. In my opinion, it's one type of bad thing to like something because all of the tattooed and pierced people do, but it's at least as bad to dislike something because you saw some some hard hat grooving to it. Look to yourself to form your opinions, not to your environment. What are you, 14?

ughwhy

• Policemans heel
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2008, 10:19:59 AM »
I wonder if "what would your music be as a hitter or as a closer in baseball?" would be one of those sports topics Tom could do without the non-sports fans rebelling.

I brought this up once during a Night On the Town and was accused of putting a "topic" on the "table."

It's a harder question than it looks, though, 'cause figure they'll only play a few seconds of it if you're a hitter, so what four seconds are going to get you the most ready to hit the crap out of a baseball?

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2008, 10:34:13 AM »
I'm listening to Beard of Stars by T. Rex.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2008, 11:07:47 AM »
You got this exactly right, MOP. I used to assist on shifts on the local college radio station, and I specifically remember that every person that worked there practically worshipped U2 until Sunday Bloody Sunday started playing on MTV, and overnight they became pariahs. We had an advance copy of The Cars debut, it was a big office favorite.....until it got released and they immediately started playing "My Best Friend's Girl" on the local commercial rock station. REM, same story. In my opinion, it's one type of bad thing to like something because all of the tattooed and pierced people do, but it's at least as bad to dislike something because you saw some some hard hat grooving to it. Look to yourself to form your opinions, not to your environment. What are you, 14?

I "I like their early work" gambit is one way to avoid blatantly changing the history of what you liked.  Unfortunately, very often a band's early work really is all that's good.

See Dr. David Thorpe for more advice on related topics.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2008, 05:20:25 PM »
"Moongirl," by Stellastarr, which got to me when I typed "Crystal Stilts" into Last.fm.  Not too shabby!
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

emdasher

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2008, 05:32:40 PM »
"Moongirl," by Stellastarr, which got to me when I typed "Crystal Stilts" into Last.fm.  Not too shabby!

Underrated! Nobody could ever talk about this band without also talking about The Cure and a million other bands that they sound like. But they were still good.

Right this very second, I'm listening to Big Dipper talk about how Tom got the band back together on Terre T's show.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2008, 05:44:02 PM »
HORses HORses HORses HORses

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2008, 10:27:32 AM »
http://www.myspace.com/furiouslovekids

"Long Time Reader"

Check it out, I love it!
from the land of pleasant living

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2008, 11:00:06 AM »
Sly and the Family Stone "Fresh".
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
Benjamen Walker's Theory of Everything on WFMU.  The song is Francois de Roubaix' "chapi chapo." Which I feel like I know from childhood.  Was it on the Muppet Show?
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.