Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1022861 times)

Dan B

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2008, 02:32:12 PM »
Hüsker Düde's  cover of the Mary Tyler Moore theme song on the b-side of "Make No Sense at All".

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2008, 05:19:23 PM »
Effigies - "Body Bag", live on DJ Terre T's radio program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2008, 05:31:46 PM »
One of my very best friends has a sister, who is also a friend, who has a daughter, who is a passing acquaintance who falls squarely under the heading "seems like a good kid." She's a singer in the praise band for a mega-church somewhere in Florida. She sings on 3 of the 16 songs, and her voice is a beautiful crystalline thing, like bells ringing, with very little affectation in her voice, and the production is phenomenally good for a local band, but almost everything else about the disc is is bad bad bad. I am trying to formulate a strategy to break it to her the next time I see her, which traditionally is at Christmastime. HOOO boy. In one of the songs, a nearly note for note Coldplay rip, the band sings the phrase "Your will is my will" 64 times, at which point the lamest possible rap breaks out.

Someone help me, please.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2008, 05:47:44 PM »
One of my very best friends has a sister, who is also a friend, who has a daughter, who is a passing acquaintance who falls squarely under the heading "seems like a good kid." She's a singer in the praise band for a mega-church somewhere in Florida. She sings on 3 of the 16 songs, and her voice is a beautiful crystalline thing, like bells ringing, with very little affectation in her voice, and the production is phenomenally good for a local band, but almost everything else about the disc is is bad bad bad. I am trying to formulate a strategy to break it to her the next time I see her, which traditionally is at Christmastime. HOOO boy. In one of the songs, a nearly note for note Coldplay rip, the band sings the phrase "Your will is my will" 64 times, at which point the lamest possible rap breaks out.

Someone help me, please.

If it's produced really well, just compliment her/them on that. "it really SOUNDS good!".

you also don't have to say anything about it. were you specifically requested to do a critique? if that's the case, then make a list of strong point and weak points, with suggestion as to how maybe they could improve in those areas.

if they are a young band, they'll mature and get better as they continue working at it. Take a listen to the early Vessel recordings: yeah, you thought back in '78 that a 17-minute vocoder solo was genius, but time has proved otherwise.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #139 on: July 26, 2008, 05:50:27 PM »

Someone help me, please.

If it's produced really well, just compliment her/them on that. "it really SOUNDS good!".

you also don't have to say anything about it. were you specifically requested to do a critique? if that's the case, then make a list of strong point and weak points, with suggestion as to how maybe they could improve in those areas.

if they are a young band, they'll mature and get better as they continue working at it. Take a listen to the early Vessel recordings: yeah, you thought back in '78 that a 17-minute vocoder solo was genius, but time has proved otherwise.

Good God, KtB, how did you remember that band name? I have half a mind to post one of our horrible practice songs on the "post 1 awesome song" thread.

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #140 on: July 26, 2008, 06:31:04 PM »
You obviously think highly enough of her to compliment her very well without having to bring up the elements you do not care for at all.

I think that young, religious musical groups often find themselves torn between two worlds and it can often be difficult for them to reconcile those two worlds musically ~ particularly considering they also do not have a lot of experience making music even before the weighty social/religious aspects come into play.

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #141 on: July 26, 2008, 08:06:26 PM »
Maybe give her a CD by someone like Danielson, Soupjam Stevens or David Bazan.  There's plenty of music that deals with Christian themes without falling victim to the CCM mentality - you know, "if you liked (band from 5 years ago), you'll like (its current inferior Christian equivilent)." But I don't think it necessarily hits the megachurches.

Bonnie played in a praise band, right?  Maybe she'll have something to say about this.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2008, 08:10:10 PM »
Early King's X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Susannah

« Reply #143 on: July 26, 2008, 08:16:57 PM »
What about soul/gospel music like Mahalia Jackson or earlier Sam Cooke?  Or even Al Green, if you can get over his being "the worst."

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #144 on: July 26, 2008, 08:48:16 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I wanna hear that rap.

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2008, 09:20:04 PM »
Oh, me too.  Bad Christian rap = curiosity.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2008, 09:37:04 PM »

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2008, 09:37:45 PM »
And Omar, I love early King's X, too! Summerlaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2008, 09:41:39 PM »
Oh, me too.  Bad Christian rap = curiosity.

true, but Hiphop Gospel Mime = the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed

http://www.kkmime.com/

KickTheBobo

« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2008, 09:59:52 PM »
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rpmem0

Celebration Music rap

For what this is, I think this is pretty damn good. the production is top-notch, definitely. I actually think that the rap breakdown integrates pretty well into the song. don't get me wrong: it definitely sounds like Top-40 garbage, but that's what they are going for, right?

wow. I just did a search for "christian indie rock" and there is a TON out there (why wouldn't there be?). This band Leeland is actually pretty rockin' (granted they do have a fake Gib Benson AND the kid from Superbad in the band - talk about cred!)