Author Topic: TV = snob  (Read 1977 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
TV = snob
« on: July 18, 2008, 10:15:03 AM »
"Scripted series, from "I Love Lucy" to "Dallas" to "Friends," traditionally netted some of the biggest audiences in television history. But now TV's comedies and dramas are, with a sprinkling of exceptions, becoming expensive diversions for the cultural elite, akin to opera in the 19th century or foreign films in the 1960s. Critics may love shows such as "Mad Men," FX's "Damages" (seven nominations) and HBO's "The Wire," but not many other Americans have caught the fever. Even popular network dramas such as ABC's "Lost" and NBC's "Heroes" have far fewer viewers than comparable series even a few years ago."

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-et-emmysmad18-2008jul18,0,6434225.story

Andy

• Space Champion!
Re: TV = snob
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:04:38 AM »
could it be because there are 5000 channels now with on-demand content and the internet?
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:11:05 AM »
But now TV's comedies and dramas are, with a sprinkling of exceptions, becoming expensive diversions for the cultural elite, akin to opera in the 19th century or foreign films in the 1960s.

I knew things were getting out of hand when Criterion announced they were releasing The Complete Poochinski.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »
I got tickets to the premier of Cop Rock at the Metropolitan Opera House.

Floor seats.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 11:41:57 AM »
That's only because the other strong trend in TV seems to be reality bullshit... I can't believe someone would complain that TV is too smart.
from the land of pleasant living

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 02:48:48 PM »
"Scripted series, from "I Love Lucy" to "Dallas" to "Friends," traditionally netted some of the biggest audiences in television history. But now TV's comedies and dramas are, with a sprinkling of exceptions, becoming expensive diversions for the cultural elite, akin to opera in the 19th century or foreign films in the 1960s. Critics may love shows such as "Mad Men," FX's "Damages" (seven nominations) and HBO's "The Wire," but not many other Americans have caught the fever. Even popular network dramas such as ABC's "Lost" and NBC's "Heroes" have far fewer viewers than comparable series even a few years ago."

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-et-emmysmad18-2008jul18,0,6434225.story

The reason Lost and Heroes have fewer viewers is because it's hard to get into the shows and many people are not tuning in because they think the shows have issues with the long-term stories. All shows that have continued storylines tend to do poorer as time goes on, ratings wise. People don't have time to catch up during regular airings and we're now in an age where people will just DVR, download on iTunes, or buy DVDs.

Look at The Wire, Arrested Development, and even Lost. They have fan-bases and acclaim but the average TV viewer is more interested in watching something they can only casually follow and that ends in a resolution in 60 minutes (CSI, reality tv).

I wonder what other shows this reviewer had in mind aside from Mad Men, Damages, or the Wire. Especially the TV comedies. I love my 30 Rock and Always Sunny, but when I think cultural elite sitcoms, I think of unfunny adult-oriented schlock like Frasier.

I really like Mad Men but the only reason Mad Men got 16nods is because they spent that $25million on a huge ad campaign for Season 2, which probably includes a lot of Emmy For Your Consideration promo stuff.