Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2823969 times)

nec13

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10725 on: December 18, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »
Best:
Tom going out on top.  The sound collage (getting early years in and maybe the best Wurster call of all time -- Jimmy Crespo ("Units?"!)). Tom and Jon talking at the end. Mike being Mike.

Worst:
The feeling I'll never see/hear anything like that in my life.

I concur with all of this.

But it's not an ending, it's just the beginning. I look forward to hearing what Tom and Jon come up with next.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Nicholas Tanek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10726 on: December 18, 2013, 09:49:12 AM »
Best:
Tom going out on top.  The sound collage (getting early years in and maybe the best Wurster call of all time -- Jimmy Crespo ("Units?"!)). Tom and Jon talking at the end. Mike being Mike.

Worst:
The feeling I'll never see/hear anything like that in my life.

I agree.  While I do feel very sad that it is all over, I am thankful that I was lucky to have experienced The Best Show on WFMU with Tom Scharpling. I am especially thankful that I experienced the show while it was happening as opposed to just listening to old shows or podcasts. The show truly changed my life and brought happiness to me and the people I loved.

http://thecoolestway.com
Read

The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself
by Nicholas Tanek
Link: http://amzn.com/B00GUSAX7G

Chipped Black Nail Polish
by Nicholas Tanek
Link: http://amzn.com/B00WUNS58O

Cubmaster

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10727 on: December 18, 2013, 10:23:20 AM »
I've always enjoyed the Wally Wackiman "character."

I'm not sure what the quotes are all about, but I'll take it.  Thanks!

-Zach

Zach,

The first time I tuned in to Best Show, you and Hatch (I think) were filling in.  I thoroughly enjoyed the concept and execution of a puppet hosting a radio program.  I didn't listen again for several months, at which point I heard a couple shows in a row with Tom in the driver's seat.  It took a few more listens as I hadn't done my research and kept waiting for Wally to come back.  So, there's that.

Thanks for helping me ease into the show!

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10728 on: December 18, 2013, 11:00:08 AM »
The Best: The Best Show (in particular the Mike from Manhattan/Frank from Weehauken turf out- it was a lovely moment of normalcy amidst the heavy atmosphere and despite their love of Tom/BS they still get 'the treatment')

the worst: last night's show was so important and the show's gotten so popular that everyone had to listen to it live which meant poor lil' WFMUs streaming and chat was overwhelmed with traffic.  I was knocked out for 1/2 hour after jumping off to go to lower bandwidth right after Officer Harrups called in.  At least that was the middle of the show and not the end. 

I wonder how many listeners- online and via radio were tuned in, I bet the largest audience any listener-supported freeform radio station ever got.

I dunno if my messages got out last night in the chat but just to make sure I'd like to repeat- this is an amazing message board and chat room and I regret not coming here sooner when I first started to listen in 2007. So many good people up in this! 
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10729 on: December 18, 2013, 11:32:02 AM »
Best: Everything

Extra Best: Das Roxborough

Worst: Having to wait for what's next.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10730 on: December 18, 2013, 11:40:48 AM »
Next question. Who pays for and maintains this message board from now on? It's a question Fredericks asked me a couple of weeks ago. I certainly hope it goes forward.

The Best: The Best Show (in particular the Mike from Manhattan/Frank from Weehauken turf out- it was a lovely moment of normalcy amidst the heavy atmosphere and despite their love of Tom/BS they still get 'the treatment')

the worst: last night's show was so important and the show's gotten so popular that everyone had to listen to it live which meant poor lil' WFMUs streaming and chat was overwhelmed with traffic.  I was knocked out for 1/2 hour after jumping off to go to lower bandwidth right after Officer Harrups called in.  At least that was the middle of the show and not the end. 

I wonder how many listeners- online and via radio were tuned in, I bet the largest audience any listener-supported freeform radio station ever got.

I dunno if my messages got out last night in the chat but just to make sure I'd like to repeat- this is an amazing message board and chat room and I regret not coming here sooner when I first started to listen in 2007. So many good people up in this!

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10731 on: December 18, 2013, 11:43:55 AM »
Next question. Who pays for and maintains this message board from now on? It's a question Fredericks asked me a couple of weeks ago. I certainly hope it goes forward.

I'd gladly chip in some money to help keep the place going, as would others, I believe.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10732 on: December 18, 2013, 11:56:56 AM »
Tangential to the show, but a life-long best for me was The Nashville listening party. When Tom started talking, the really would go from a party roar to quiet focus. having never listened to a show with Anybody, it was delightful to hear the crowd break into loud laughter over and over. And so many people were nicer to me than I ever deserved, it was a blast. Thanks to Coco and Jem and Jeff for hosting at the Fabulous Fond Object, a must visit for any Best Show completist.

jäck

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10733 on: December 18, 2013, 12:39:12 PM »
The Tom Waits punchline was the best possible way the show could have ended.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10734 on: December 18, 2013, 01:31:43 PM »
Agreed- The Tom Waits into Black Flag was such a great ending after the heavy emotion of the final farewells.  The Waits was just a hilarious fake-out, and then Gimme Gimme Gimme was the true rocknroll spirit this show has always embodied.

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10735 on: December 18, 2013, 05:07:40 PM »
Philly Boy Roy's 'And We Danced' button was the perfect payoff for the character.

bigoteetoe

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10736 on: December 18, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »
All great, but I don't think the opening headphone difficulties could have been scripted any better.
the pudding is delicious

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10737 on: December 18, 2013, 05:26:15 PM »
Best:
  • Tom Scharpling
  • Jon Wurster
  • AP Mike
  • Alex Google

Worst:
  • Nothing.

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10738 on: December 18, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »
I can't be the only one who got choked up just a little when Big Star started playing, right?

Cauliflower

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10739 on: December 18, 2013, 07:18:19 PM »
The Worst:

• IDK, I don't care

The Best:
  • Tom talking about Terre
  • Tom and Jon just getting to talk to each other, without any pretense
  • Mike, in general
  • Harrups
  • Roy Jr walking out of the closet
  • Roy/Roy Jr's Great Escape
  • Selfishly, I'm going to include making it through my first call without a disaster
  • Knowing there's more in store