Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2824013 times)

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #11355 on: May 27, 2015, 03:11:50 PM »
In defense of Todd Glass, he's dyslexic and has talked on his podcast a lot about his issues with reading and writing. I know he had a ghost writer for the book so maybe the publisher decided it was to much of a hassle to have him actually read it or more than likely he was just embarrassed to try. I'll admit it is very weird that they decided to go forward with an audio book anyway but I think he would've done it if he could've.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11356 on: May 27, 2015, 03:14:47 PM »
Nothing makes me happier than Tom's love for the mighty Pet Shop Boys, the 80s Beatles. 'Disco' was the first album I ever bought.

Tom riffing on Dr Who was phenomenal. Not sure which I prefer: PSBs, Ringo or the Dice Man.

Tom pronouncing Jimmy Saville to rhyme with 'Seville'.

RReynolds

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11357 on: May 27, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »
I love all the Best Show clips people are putting up on Youtube, but man there is a lot of haters on there.
The Best Show vids getting backlash on YouTube?????
That's a shame. I noticed after I uploaded my Pizza Party video, R.Reynolds posted a ton of Best Show videos. Who could hate them???

I've been pretty fortunate so far actually. Surprisingly all positive with one hilariously weak "meh" comment on The Sleaziest Rocker of All-Time. Laughed it off. I've been hesitant to mention the clips I've uploaded on these boards because I didn't want to appear as I was self-promoting, as I'm still very much just a lurker around these parts. But I needed to find a low energy hobby while I've been laid up with back pangs recently and wanted to create short(ish), easily digestible resource materials for conversion of non-fots. I can't tell you how many times I used the "Jazzman" and "Gathering of the Juggalos" clips on my friends. Classic Tom doing Tom. 

Here's a link to the playlist of ones I've done, it kind of jumps around chronologically as I've been going back through the final WFMU years recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm3pd_v_kHM&list=PLIID_EZbLNg5UpZEOpijgYxgyf8yYRDHE 

Aside from a few big moments, I'm trying to find those small moments of Tom making jazz that might get forgotten in the colossal back catalog, and am always looking for suggestions from some of you old-timers, I'm ashamed to say I only came around in the final days of the Mach 1. I want to find a good Mike chunk for all the Mikeheads out there.

In RE: to last nights show. Another great one after Jon's call unclogged the terlet. Bebe is quietly stringing together quite hot streak of calls, was listening to an ep from 2012 the other day and hadn't realized she's been calling as long as she has. Down with dudes.
Sometimes as I'm floating away I wish I could stay, Then I arrive among the dropping flies

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11358 on: May 27, 2015, 03:34:01 PM »
The Best Show vids getting backlash on YouTube?????
That's a shame. I noticed after I uploaded my Pizza Party video, R.Reynolds posted a ton of Best Show videos. Who could hate them???
I did one a few years ago from when Tom did a review of the "Fonzie's Favorites" novelty record. About half the viewers I get seem to know what it's all about, but the other half are people who are actually looking for sincere album reviews on that thing, and they get upset when Tom disparages the stuff. I keep all the comments.

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11359 on: May 27, 2015, 03:46:49 PM »
Re: YouTube commenters -- I'd be more concerned if you DIDN'T have haters there.  YouTube haters = quite a number of people watching the clip who appreciate it.  A lot of sad people's livelihoods are being mean on YouTube.  I would never take them personally.

noah

« Reply #11360 on: May 27, 2015, 04:45:12 PM »
How was I the only one to note on the chat that Wurster's call actually had 3 horns?  Trevor Horn and two actual horns.  Side note, Trevor Horn has re-joined a Jon Anderson-less Yes to record the first original material Yes album in 10 years.  I can't wait to hear Vance's review of the album.  Levels upon levels my friends, when Tom goes off on how people will be deciphering the Best Show for years to come, that's the reason why.

Fully agree with Mackro, that show was one of the best of all time.  Tom crushed it. 

That last call by the cute-prank creep was awesome.  The immediate dog pile by everyone in the chat, and I'm assuming on Twitter, and how Tom kept pulling silk from his yarn, totally awesome.  Another completely organic, completely hilarious development that I hope becomes a mainstay, last caller gets it both barrels from Tom and all the FOT.  I hope AP Mike held that call until Tom called "last call". 

"From the World's largest collection of Wacky Packages, to loin crushing aridity, Newbridge got it all"

kouzie

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11361 on: May 28, 2015, 05:07:19 PM »
Seeing that there was no Wurster-provided list of insane names (bands, movies, TV shows...) this week, I went back through the Best Show.net archives to see if there were any that I've missed. Nothing major, but there was a Matthew Tompkins appearance on 12/16/14 with this:

Matthew Tompkins/SHOUT Media

Movies
Korean Air Nut Rage Executive
The Island of Dr. More-ooooo’s (XXXX rated)

Stores
Ski Caperry (knit hiding hats)

Celebrities
JuTim (Justin Timberlake)
CryMart (Chris Martin)
HaySty (Harry Styles)

TV Show
Who’s America’s Next Top DJ?
24 Hours to D’Angelo
Morrison and Reed

That should get us current with TBS 2.0.

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11362 on: May 28, 2015, 06:08:56 PM »
That should probably be JuTim, no JewTim.

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11363 on: May 28, 2015, 06:54:14 PM »
Holy crow, guys, I know I say it a bunch, but this last episode was a big W. I didn't get to listen live, but I was on Twitter reading about the calls but Tom spun them into gold.

Highlights include: Tom shutting down the creep talking about his kid, Bebe's entire existence, Tom singing the highlights of the Synth Era, "Its the Doctor Who of beers.", the ENTIRETY of the Doctor Who discussion. Doctor Who is one of my all time favorite things in the world, but I'm completely aware of how goofy/bad it is, so it was nice hearing my other favorite thing in the entire world bust its beans for a while. Side note, I absolutely love Six and Twelve, both the actors and their takes on the Doctor.
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!

kouzie

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11364 on: May 28, 2015, 07:28:53 PM »
That should probably be JuTim, no JewTim.
Ha! Yes, you're totally right. I typed it before finding out the meaning. It's now been updated.

Thanks!

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11365 on: May 28, 2015, 09:34:59 PM »
Was that BeBe? They said, "Jesse from Las Vegas" and the voice was slightly different.
Bebe (sorry to break the Bowling Alley Confessions code) was the Alphaville call. Jesse called asking which member of The Eagles Tom though was most racist.
Speaking of breaking the code, it was nice to hear Emma (formerly of Toronto) on again.

Technically, I violated the BAC code of anonymity by singling her out as the best.

I just listened to the show again on podcast and after Tom first admonished him about how some guy now had to come out and haul the mattresses out of the pool possibly throwing his back out, the Mattress Manson actually uttered under his breath "Gotta lift with your knees".  The tyranny of rich suburban white kids.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11366 on: May 28, 2015, 11:14:06 PM »
Was that BeBe? They said, "Jesse from Las Vegas" and the voice was slightly different.
Bebe (sorry to break the Bowling Alley Confessions code) was the Alphaville call. Jesse called asking which member of The Eagles Tom though was most racist.
Speaking of breaking the code, it was nice to hear Emma (formerly of Toronto) on again.

Technically, I violated the BAC code of anonymity by singling her out as the best.

I just listened to the show again on podcast and after Tom first admonished him about how some guy now had to come out and haul the mattresses out of the pool possibly throwing his back out, the Mattress Manson actually uttered under his breath "Gotta lift with your knees".  The tyranny of rich suburban white kids.

That dude sounded like the real life embodiment of JW's hipster from Billyburg. His life is probably The Comedy.

kouzie

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11367 on: May 29, 2015, 07:06:08 AM »
I'm curious as to if this is a long-time or recent fan. If he listened to Tom for more than a few minutes, there's no way he could ever think Tom would consider this as cute.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11368 on: May 29, 2015, 03:19:28 PM »
I'm curious as to if this is a long-time or recent fan. If he listened to Tom for more than a few minutes, there's no way he could ever think Tom would consider this as cute.

This is what I meant by a new kind of listener who might not have listened before but read some of the recent articles and are like, "why not? i'll call in" If more people are listening, that's good news. But what Tom described as [parphrasing] a long string of entitled, clueless white guys that called in last week could become the norm

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11369 on: May 29, 2015, 04:47:19 PM »

This is what I meant by a new kind of listener who might not have listened before but read some of the recent articles and are like, "why not? i'll call in" If more people are listening, that's good news. But what Tom described as [parphrasing] a long string of entitled, clueless white guys that called in last week could become the norm

I don't know why everyone is acting like this is some new thing. Have you listened to the bulk of the show's history? When it was on the radio, any dink off the street who happened to have the radio tuned to FMU could call in. For every interesting weirdo or funny fan there's hundreds of dumbies. Hell, the 40 something dork who wants a cool kid is the demographic of probably 80 percent of WFMU's listenership. I've heard countless goons who think they know what Tom's deal is or what he'll think is funny or cool call in. It's part of the fabric of what makes the show so great in my opinion, hearing Tom dress down a guy like the mattress dick is the best. Think of it this way, do you like Bad Companying? how about GOMPing? thank, the boring clueless dudes. If you want one big party with all perfect calls I think you're listening to the wrong show.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.