Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2900684 times)

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #12000 on: May 20, 2016, 10:10:34 PM »
Tompressions was a top ever Best Show moment.
Was hoping someone would throw in my new favorite Tom phrase:  can you imagine?
Also somehow was hoping someone would, in all the Brooklyn talk, work in a version of Tom's Invisible Man in Williamsburg.
"Fools!  I've got your kickball now..."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12001 on: May 20, 2016, 11:30:54 PM »
As great as the Tompressions were, my favorite moment of last night's show was when Tom suggested that Charlie and Willy Wonka should have let Uncle Joe go into the fan.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #12002 on: May 21, 2016, 01:14:02 AM »
Can't state enough how Classic the entire Tompressions episode was.

The best part was hearing how easily the Tompressionists were unraveled when Tom play-roled as a boring dude caller, because it puts in perspective how difficult it is to maintain the show quality and momentum when HE gets dud callers.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12003 on: May 21, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »
I was pretty underwhelmed after the genius of Tom Can't Complain...because impressions are hard! PC Mike's "Waah" call was perfect, though

deathdrive83

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12004 on: May 22, 2016, 11:13:42 PM »
This one didn't have the delicious tension of Tom Can't Complain, but was still fun.

I still can't believe I got the nerve to call about Death Punch and Trump on Da Best Show.  :-\

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12005 on: May 26, 2016, 03:57:02 PM »
Hats off to whoever pulled off that "YOU'RE A GHOST" deep cut.

That was BadGuyZero

mnstrfrc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12006 on: May 28, 2016, 06:38:57 PM »
Amazing string of shows. The emerging Hagerty/Scharpling relationship is my favorite thing to ever happen in entertainment history. I once dropped a "I don't like it ... I love it!" on Neil when communicating about a thing he did at WFMU, and when Tom did it on the show this week I freaked out. Can't wait for more tour check-ins.

RReynolds

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12007 on: June 01, 2016, 06:23:32 AM »
Very excited for the Heidecker/Rado Deader Than Ever album. And the arrival of my Massa's shirt. AP Merch is a licence to print money, and I hope it kicks off a series of new Best Show tee's. JW was great, as always.
Sometimes as I'm floating away I wish I could stay, Then I arrive among the dropping flies

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12008 on: June 01, 2016, 08:21:48 PM »
I recognized one of the AV Club  comments, told the guy, and this is how it played out on the auxiliary AV Club Disqus board, AV Club After Dark:

Ricky Coogin • an hour ago

My stupid comment about Chelsea Handler and her huge mouth (Vanessa Bayer's,too) ended up on The Best Show the other night. I think they were pretty disgusted about my taste in women. It doesn't deserve best comment, though...it didn't even deserve to be on their show.

8 ypvotes

HobbesMk2 Ricky Coogin • an hour ago

Fvck those guys. When they first started reading AVC comments, I simultaneously discovered their podcast and that their podcast sucks.
    8 upvotes

Ricky Coogin HobbesMk2 • an hour ago

I listened to about 45 minutes and thought, "When do these guys get funny?"
        2 upvotes

Tandy HobbesMk2 • an hour ago

Wait, this a thing they do every week? Do they ever read any comments they actually think are funny, or is it just 100% shitting on us?

HobbesMk2 Tandy • an hour ago

I don't know. Tom Scharpling started doing it ages ago, which is when the AV Club started covering it. I listened to it once then, then discovered that that segment was basically just Tom Scharpling reading comments verbatim and adding a slide whistle to the end of it. I felt no desire to continue exposing myself to it.
            2 upvotes

Tandy HobbesMk2 • an hour ago

That's pretty lazy and stupid. I can't imagine most of the people who listen to their podcast would give a shit about comments on a random entertainment website anyway.
                1 upvote

Eat Up Martha Mod Tandy • an hour ago

I am listening to that particular episode and it's just... dumb dumb dumb. Just the same as the people who think they're cool by mocking everyone in high school, will giggle and grin, and then say "Hey, just joshin' ya!"

What a couple of hacks.
                    2 upvotes

Tandy Eat Up Martha • 43 minutes ago

They got to be on the Simpsons this year. I'm pretty sure random AV Club commenters could get guest spots on the show at this point. They haven't set the bar low so much as they've just removed the entire concept of a bar.
                        3 upvotes

Eat Up Martha Mod Tandy • 37 minutes ago

I couldn't stand Scharpling's voice at all, and when they were doing their readings of comments, it was so smug. Of course AVC comments are going to come off smug to outsiders - that's any commenting community (for the most part). They're being derisive for entertainment, but their mockery is misplaced and asinine. I hope that podcast gets taken out back and smashed a few dozen times in the head with a shovel.
                            1 upvote

https://disqus.com/home/channel/theavclubafterdark/discussion/channel-theavclubafterdark/other_comment_of_the_week_thread/

claedalus

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12009 on: June 02, 2016, 04:59:57 PM »
Listened to the Best Show, and it was a gas / then I found out, AV Club has an ego of glass

*slide whistle*
Build that website brah

hairdryer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12010 on: June 05, 2016, 12:15:58 PM »
What's the episode and time stamp of the recent show where Tom was talking about Criss Angel's cousin's deli? I want to play it for a friend and can't find the segment.

I remember he mentioned someone discovering Criss Angel via the deli and he was riffing on that encounter saying "If this magician is half as good as this guy running a deli, I may have found my new favorite magician."

hairdryer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12011 on: June 05, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »
Tompressions was a top ever Best Show moment.
Was hoping someone would throw in my new favorite Tom phrase:  can you imagine?
Also somehow was hoping someone would, in all the Brooklyn talk, work in a version of Tom's Invisible Man in Williamsburg.
"Fools!  I've got your kickball now..."

My favorite part of this episode was actually the intro #duhbestshow. Godsmack, Drowning Pool, and Five Finger Death Punch. Some good badass music. Effed up. Too bad Bernie wants to take all my money.

RReynolds

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12012 on: June 05, 2016, 03:15:14 PM »
What's the episode and time stamp of the recent show where Tom was talking about Criss Angel's cousin's deli? I want to play it for a friend and can't find the segment.

I remember he mentioned someone discovering Criss Angel via the deli and he was riffing on that encounter saying "If this magician is half as good as this guy running a deli, I may have found my new favorite magician."

Last week's episode with Hayes. Dudio sends Tom the restaurant reviews just before 1:51:45.
Sometimes as I'm floating away I wish I could stay, Then I arrive among the dropping flies

hairdryer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12013 on: June 05, 2016, 05:02:11 PM »

Last week's episode with Hayes. Dudio sends Tom the restaurant reviews just before 1:51:45.

thank you!

wherman

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12014 on: June 06, 2016, 05:24:36 PM »
In case anyone is wondering, yes "Ricky Coogin" DOES have 50+ comments whining this week on Podmass.