Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2779380 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #12465 on: July 20, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
Paul Lynde had a whole bunch of things going on, as I dimly recall.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

leeharveyosmond

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12466 on: July 25, 2018, 05:27:23 PM »
ANTHONY KIEDIS AND THE E STREET BAND

Dammit

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12467 on: July 27, 2018, 06:15:00 PM »
MUSICAL GUEST - THE ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST! FEATURING - THEIR LAWYERS!

FZ on SNL 1990: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6IX9iVgkPQ

El Drano

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12468 on: August 01, 2018, 06:27:21 PM »
Maybe it was just my mood but it seemed like there were a whole lot of dull dudes calling last nights show.  Some exceptions but mostly snooze city.   The Michael Kupperman interview was very entertaining.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12469 on: August 01, 2018, 08:35:40 PM »
Maybe it was just my mood but it seemed like there were a whole lot of dull dudes calling last nights show.  Some exceptions but mostly snooze city.   The Michael Kupperman interview was very entertaining.

The FOT chatroom was nearly dead that night.

I blame the heat.

Bull Shannon

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12470 on: August 11, 2018, 03:42:09 PM »
Best: Doot doot loo doot doot! I liked how short the show was, but I sure hope Tom's okay.

Worst: The supposed e-cigs guy, the guy who wanted Tom to tell him it was okay to quit medical school.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12471 on: August 14, 2018, 02:41:12 PM »

The FOT chatroom was nearly dead that night.

I blame the heat.

I will try to attend, tonight. I'll bring my stool to sit on.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12472 on: August 22, 2018, 12:57:02 AM »
From the FOT chat after the show ended:

(20:16:47) Krokodil_Gena: A ripoff of Death Bed, the Bed that Eats.
(20:17:36) fish: I've never bothered to watch that
(20:17:56) Krokodil_Gena: Parodied by Patton Oswalt with Rape Stove, the Stove that Rapes.
(20:18:30) Krokodil_Gena: Fish, the guy that made the film in the 1970s forgot that he'd done it.
(20:18:45) fish: I know he had a bit about that, but I don't remember that particular line
(20:19:35) fish: Wait, the director said he doesn't remember making it?
(20:19:42) Krokodil_Gena: It was from Patton Oswalt's Bush II-era album Feelin' Kinda Patton.
(20:19:53) Krokodil_Gena: 2006?
(20:20:39) fish: Yeah, I've definitely heard that
(20:20:55) Krokodil_Gena: It's on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=​01l1WIC9mBo
(20:21:03) fish: Probably more people heard that special than saw that movie
(20:22:05) Krokodil_Gena: It's one of those low-budget flicks that took a few years to make, the guy couldn't find a buyer, it was always obscure.
(20:23:37) fish: right and the bit was like if THAT movie can get made, then anything is possible.
(20:24:28) Krokodil_Gena: Manos had that problem partially - no TV station (but the most desperate UHF one) wanted to buy the movie in the 1970s. It's a minor miracle the Mystery Science guys got to see it and make an episode of it.
(20:25:25) fish: That movie is really something
(20:25:55) fish: can't say I'd ever watch it straight though
(20:26:15) Krokodil_Gena: And Manos: the "Hands" of Fate had a shadowy run in the late 1960s, probably burned through the Southern drive-in circuit.
(20:26:52) FOT-Bot: B_Buster logs into the Chat.
(20:27:53) Krokodil_Gena: fish: can't say I'd ever watch it straight though I have, thanks to the "restoration" that used the original 16mm Ektachrome workprint.
(20:29:11) Krokodil_Gena: It will never be a great movie, but it is a document of budget film-making in the El Paso area in the mid-1960s.
(20:29:53) fish: I'm sure I couldn't make a better movie
(20:35:11) Krokodil_Gena: None of them were film school graduates as far as I know.
(20:37:55) Krokodil_Gena: Pretty much Eraserhead is what those movies are like with actual talent involved - it took David Lynch a number of years to shoot that entire film.
(20:44:35) fish: Eraserhead only really works as an art film
(20:47:40) fish: That seems like a dumb thing to say
(20:47:53) fish: Ever seen Tetsuo The Iron Man?
(20:55:19) Krokodil_Gena: Yes, and it's sequel that was run at the local arthouse with the speakers turned to 11.
(20:59:27) Krokodil_Gena: Hello?-hello?-hello? (fades out) Sorry, I was out walking the garbage to the curb.
(21:00:19) Krokodil_Gena: Only saw the original Tetsuo on video.
(21:02:30) fish: I remember the sequel not being as fun
(21:04:12) Krokodil_Gena: I agree, it's sonically abusive, drably "weird."
(21:04:31) Krokodil_Gena: In other words, trying too hard.

(21:06:15) fish: I used to really love Peter Jackson's early films, and it still surprises me that he went on to do real movies
(21:07:15) Krokodil_Gena: Meet the Feebles grossed me out, especially the death of the fly.
(21:08:19) fish: oh yeah, speaking of filthy puppets
(21:09:54) fish: I was thinking more Bad Taste & especially Dead Alive/Braindead
(21:10:20) Krokodil_Gena: Meanwhile I think that Lars von Trier really never topped Europa (aka Zentropa) for making pure cinema. Was never a fan of his Dogma 95 films.
(21:11:21) fish: (I think I maxed out movie chat)
(21:11:41) fish: I don't know for certain that I've seen a movie this year.
(21:12:00) Krokodil_Gena: Dead Alive was more like an Evil Dead movie - deliberately over-the-top, gross, but not truly repellent.
(21:13:00) fish: It was probably more gross than Evil Dead (and funnier than Evil Dead 2)
(21:13:30) fish: There's a few different versions. The cut up "Rated R" version is a travesty.
(21:16:27) Krokodil_Gena: Yeah, I would say that. I think that's what's killing moviegoing - we're lacking real midnight movies made in the last twenty years. I mean there are candidates out there, like Hard to be a God, but stuff isn't grabbing people like the first real midnight movie El Topo (1970).
(21:17:26) fish: OH, I was wrong, I saw the Mike Diana documentary
(21:19:54) fish: I've met him a few times. He's a nice quiet guy.
(21:20:15) Krokodil_Gena: Interesting.
(21:21:40) fish: I have a friend who's buddies with him and Frank Henenlotter, who directed the doc and such classics as Frankenhooker and Basket Case
(21:22:16) Krokodil_Gena: I know of Frank Henenlotter, never met him.
(21:22:35) fish: nice group of fellas
(21:22:59) fish: he's like a cranky old movie nerd
(21:23:03) Krokodil_Gena: The unrated version of Frankenhooker is some gonzo stuff.
(21:23:40) Krokodil_Gena: If you make films like he does, you have to be a cranky movie nerd.
(21:24:14) fish: I've only seen it once and I don't know which version, but it was screened in a theater, which was neat
(21:24:35) fish: I don't remember stuff good no more
(21:26:06) fish: Like I know I have seen Basket Case, Brain Damage, and Bad Biology, but I can never remember which is which.
(21:26:18) fish: too many B names
(21:28:02) Krokodil_Gena: That was 1990 if you saw it fresh....I sat through films one and two of The Cremaster Cycle and it was obvious they were not made for the theater (which they weren't, they were part of director/artist Matthew Barney's museum pieces).
(21:37:51) fish: wellp, g'nite!
(21:37:56) FOT-Bot: fish rolls 1d6 and gets 6.
(21:38:01) fish: B)
(21:38:57) Krokodil_Gena: I live in a weird burg on the West Coast that has a "professional" Rocky Horror Picture Show crew, so the local art chain has to include these people and that film in their midnight screenings series every year. Which means a slot is burned up for zip. A lot of weirdo stuff could go in that space. The other 1000 lb. elephant sucking air out of the building is The Room, which is funny the first time you see it, and less funny every time after, and annoying because the drunk people* show up.

(In other words folks, interesting stuff happens in the chat if you are willing to show up.)

* The same sort of rowdies didn't help seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark in a midnight screening. Same theater.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12473 on: August 22, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »
Surprised Buster didn't comment after logging in.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12474 on: September 04, 2018, 09:09:06 PM »
Papa Johns are all bad guys?

I go along with the pizza guy and Papa Phillips, but all of them?

Papa John Creach was alright as far as I know.

Easy with that broad-brush, Thomas.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12475 on: September 04, 2018, 10:18:41 PM »

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12476 on: September 16, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »
The thing I loved most is that *this* time it really sunk on for me that Jim Harbaugh actually is clearly in love with the phrase "as much as your little belly can hold" at least as soon as he uttered it the first time, because he is right away about to repeat it but then stops himself right at the beginning of it and turns to the "types of milk" interlude. So with the actual repetition later, that's a little more than 2 utterances of that phrase.

I swear it becomes more unnerving each time I hear it.
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12477 on: September 16, 2018, 07:33:51 PM »
The thing I loved most is that *this* time it really sunk on for me that Jim Harbaugh actually is clearly in love with the phrase "as much as your little belly can hold" at least as soon as he uttered it the first time, because he is right away about to repeat it but then stops himself right at the beginning of it and turns to the "types of milk" interlude. So with the actual repetition later, that's a little more than 2 utterances of that phrase.

The nutritional advice is dubious as well.

bdb318

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12478 on: September 17, 2018, 06:56:45 PM »

The nutritional advice is dubious as well.

That's true. This is not a fiber-rich diet.

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12479 on: September 20, 2018, 09:30:09 AM »
Absolute favorite: Tom describing his family crest (depicting Tom at a cash register, Tom wiping a counter down, and Tom doing the show).

It made me think about this incredibly foul-mouthed German punk band from way back when (Die Kassierer). Still going. My God!
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!