Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2824218 times)

YearRoundSteve

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7125 on: September 21, 2011, 09:09:08 PM »
"First of all, Fonzy rolls into a thing for the Sweathogs? That's time travel, that's weird" - Tom

way hilarious
When I was a kid I wanted to grow up to be a Ghostbuster or a shark. True story

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7126 on: September 21, 2011, 09:12:27 PM »
JW was on fire this week.  And wasn't Tom actually singing an Aerosmith riff?

"Eat the Rich" from Get a Grip.  Joe Perry ripped that riff from Billy Gibbons.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Crusherkc

« Reply #7127 on: September 21, 2011, 09:13:48 PM »
Oh, now I notice you had the URL to the video. I'm a doof.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7128 on: September 22, 2011, 01:11:56 PM »
And to supply my two cents: I really like Anger's films but I think his book Hollywood Babylon is creepy, exploitative and vindictive, as if Anger, who was a failed Hollywood child-actor, was exercising his resentment demons toward Hollywood-in-general by "exposing" scandals, murders, deaths and failure. It's like he put a curse on the Star Factory-- like he did to Jimmy Page-- and then wanted to show the curse at work. In other words: I don't recommend the book.

See, I always got something else from Hollywood Babylon, that it was about exposing the hypocrisy and how little the the hollywood machine cared about its stars. I always thought, failed actor or not, Anger was a man in love with the magic of Hollywood. And also the magic of demon summoning.

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7129 on: September 22, 2011, 04:07:31 PM »
And to supply my two cents: I really like Anger's films but I think his book Hollywood Babylon is creepy, exploitative and vindictive, as if Anger, who was a failed Hollywood child-actor, was exercising his resentment demons toward Hollywood-in-general by "exposing" scandals, murders, deaths and failure. It's like he put a curse on the Star Factory-- like he did to Jimmy Page-- and then wanted to show the curse at work. In other words: I don't recommend the book.

See, I always got something else from Hollywood Babylon, that it was about exposing the hypocrisy and how little the the hollywood machine cared about its stars. I always thought, failed actor or not, Anger was a man in love with the magic of Hollywood. And also the magic of demon summoning.

That's a valid interpretation. But mine is stemmed in the fact that there are some gruesome, unpleasant, tabloid-esque photos in Hollywood Babylon and the fact that Anger, no pun intended, has a definite mean-streak. Also, it seems like he has a love/hate relationship with Hollywood.

Key Loser

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7130 on: September 22, 2011, 05:32:31 PM »
Pocket Pool

JRN

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7131 on: September 22, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »
Tom's lead-singer-of-Smashmouth impression, particularly when he was imagining him teasing the crowd by singing the first syllable of "All Star" over and over

and

on that weird Fonzie record: "it's almost, like, psychedelic... it's like... art"
I got you stuck off the realness
We be the infamous
You heard of us
Official Newbridge murderers

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7132 on: September 22, 2011, 07:47:19 PM »
I like the idea of Hollywood Babylon, but to know anything about the Fatty Arbuckle case and then to read Anger's account, which is practically all that most people will ever hear about it, is to conclude that he really just didn't give a damn what the facts were if the fiction sounded sleazy.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7133 on: September 23, 2011, 09:44:17 AM »
Yes Pets, I'm still around. I can't wait for my "ban" to be lifted.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DoabSxetiU
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

placeholder

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7134 on: September 23, 2011, 12:23:32 PM »
Good god, "The Fonz Song" sounds like a more grating version of something from Rocky Horror.  I didn't know such a thing was possible, but there it is.
"I came into the room/You didn't know I was The Creature."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7135 on: September 23, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »
That was just a classic, great show by the Dollar-Menu Dickens, no guest but all of The Usual Magic.  The Fonzie's Favorites bit was great; I love how incensed Tom gets about discovering that a record anyone from its own creators forward could have told him was a lame, crappy piece of suckerbait is, in fact, a lame, crappy piece of suckerbait.  But I could only imagine how Spike's heart must have been in his mouth, hearing Tom scrape the needle across all those Golden Oldies they filled it out with.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Crusherkc

« Reply #7136 on: September 23, 2011, 03:30:02 PM »
Yes Pets, I'm still around. I can't wait for my "ban" to be lifted.

So, was this your best/worst moment in the last show?  Were you even mentioned on the 9/20 show? You do know what the title of this thread is and what it means, yes?  Was there a moment that actually happened on that show that you care to comment about? And what does that scrambled youtube image read?  Oh it reads "not worth it" i.e. clicking it to find out what it reads.  Hey, have a splendid weekend.

Flick

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7137 on: September 23, 2011, 03:44:15 PM »
This week's show was pretty amazing. Definitely worthy of a second listen.

"How much pressure do you think (Frank Beard of ZZ Top) was under to grow a beard?"

TV Shows based on classic albums

"His (lead singer of Smash Mouth) bowling shirt was probably one size too small that night."

"That's time travel and that's weird."

"Dollar menu Dickens."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7138 on: September 23, 2011, 03:44:49 PM »
Spike is sort of a constant presence on the show, mentioned or unmentioned.  I love the scare-quotes he puts around "ban." It's like he can't quite accept the reality of it--that it's not a "ban," it's a ban.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7139 on: September 23, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »
Courtesy of Mark Prindle:

"Following the massive success of Fonzie, Fonzie, He's Our Man, 'Voices of two Heyettes' Julia Tillman and Maxine Willard reunited to sing backup on Peter Criss's abominable 1978 solo album. The album could only have benefited by the title Peter, Peter, He's Our Cat, but nobody suggested it and I can't go back in time now and fix it, it's too late."

Everything always comes back around to Peter Criss.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!