Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2828458 times)

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7440 on: November 02, 2011, 03:36:11 PM »
Just finished listening to last week's show, which is continuing to raise my suspicions that The Scourge's true identity is Sheila Larson.

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7441 on: November 02, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »
Re: Darren

Ah! Another Darren call?! This year has been nuts for we happy few who sing (and dance...) the praises of D-Plopp/Plopptron/The Plopplemeister. Can't wait to listen later tonight.

On the subject of people checking back in post-Shelia... He's gotta be the first. Also, has anyone ever checked back in after an Emerald Nightmare explosion? I think the most recent Monroe call (the one with the actor) mentioned that the politician Monroe brother "may or may not" have survived his explosion. That's the closest I can thing of, at least.
If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

MikeInManhattan

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7442 on: November 02, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
MORE SKEEVY. A beautiful composite of all the panhandling bus station loonies I have known and loved throughout the years.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7443 on: November 02, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »
Thanks CSW - you're a gent.

I in turn apologize if anybody thinks this is meddlesome, but if you've ever been on pretty much any other board ever (or this board about 3-4 years ago), you know how quickly flame wars start & how vicious they get. And we don't want that.

Go wrassle on twitter!

Sorry about that, Auntie.  I didn't know who it specifically was, or what they specifically said.  I was just trying to have a more constructive conversation about it.  I appreciate your concern.  The things being said about me personally in that thread were indeed getting out of hand, and I appreciate your actions.  Sorry for stirring things up.

-Zach (Big Z)

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7444 on: November 03, 2011, 01:49:05 AM »
This past week's show was REALLY great!  It had a little bit of everything... a beautiful Heave Ho triplet to kick off, the Eat Food With Daryl Hall show, Michael K trying again, Tom laying down the new rules, Darren obviously, and some smooth GOMPs, and a classic ending which I'll talk about next. (foreshadowing.)

..and Spike with his best call yet!  I really really liked the Spike I heard this past show. I'd love to hear more Spike now. 

Because of the No Consecutive Call rule, Jason From Huntsville couldn't call, but the show was overall so good that he didn't need to come in and charm everything back into order this time! Of course, I look forward to Jason's call next week.

The Worst part only lasted three seconds, and that was the troll that followed Darren. I guess we're lucky these types of callers are relatively rare. (knocks on wooden desk.)

mackro

« Reply #7445 on: November 03, 2011, 01:58:17 AM »
So, Skeevy.  Skeevy cannot be scored on a best to worst scale. But it has to be said. No one on Earth deserved Skeevy.

If much of the Best Show is Theater of the Mind, then Skeevy's segment was Theater of the Unwind.

One one hand, the attempt to craft Skeevy on the fly was so fragile, transparent, and combustible, that I couldn't imagine that charming pervy paper bag in the studio doing his thing. There was nothing to cling to... it was repellent to the mind.  I made sounds into my hands from my head, but I wasn't sure if I was laughing, crying, or both.

...which brings me to the 110% brilliance of Skeevy.  Going one layer out to the observers: Tom being at ground zero, the listeners, and later, Sue P, I can all but imagine what a sight it would have been to see Skeevy's operator try and keep the vehicle going for as long as it did, even if there was barely mileage.

Skeevy's voice, far less confident than it was on Hatch's last appearance on Tuesday, sounded more like someone who heard the *idea* of Ren & Stimpy and tried to do a Ren Hoek impression, mixed with the *idea* of Willie Tyler & Lester trying to do a Lester impression.  This is a cruel statement, as I'm sure Skeevy's operator is well aware of both.  But it was all about the unwinding.  It was a really long 15 minutes.  Just unforgettable.

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #7446 on: November 03, 2011, 07:20:40 AM »
I think the Skeevy segment was best summed up when Tom said "If you're still listening to this, why?" Yet, WE WERE STILL LISTENING.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7447 on: November 03, 2011, 08:03:18 AM »
Worst Parts:
-Not Vinnie Vulgar's finest call. That guy should take some lessons from Spike.

First, I think you need some respect-showing lessons, because his name is Vulgar Vinnie, not Vinnie Vulgar. Second, VV emailed me after the show (thankfully there was no attachment) to acknowledge he was a little too subdued. Thankfully, he's taking notes on Rick Perry's recent corrective measures in that regard and promises to be more animated during his next Mike Show call in 2017.

Crusherkc

« Reply #7448 on: November 03, 2011, 09:12:24 AM »
I think the Skeevy segment was best summed up when Tom said "If you're still listening to this, why?"

I think the last 20 minutes made a certain puppet we all know very happy. 
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7449 on: November 03, 2011, 09:56:45 AM »
I think the Skeevy segment was best summed up when Tom said "If you're still listening to this, why?" Yet, WE WERE STILL LISTENING.

The only thing missing was the rustling sounds of Mike working the paper mouth.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Patrick

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7450 on: November 03, 2011, 12:36:34 PM »

Also, has anyone ever checked back in after an Emerald Nightmare explosion? I think the most recent Monroe call (the one with the actor) mentioned that the politician Monroe brother "may or may not" have survived his explosion. That's the closest I can thing of, at least.

i believe that PBR has returned from Emerald Nightmare explosions.  that being said, i think PBR makes his way outta almost all of his run-in, my personal favorite was with the Amish.
you're gonna love hell, its a lot like Ohio.

betheboy

« Reply #7451 on: November 03, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »

Ah! Another Darren call?! This year has been nuts for we happy few who sing (and dance...) the praises of D-Plopp/Plopptron/The Plopplemeister. Can't wait to listen later tonight.

Darren is one of my favorites. I almost always go back and listen to the Darren calls a second and third time. The portion at the beginning of this most recent call, when Darren runs through the bands at Consolidated made me very happy. D-Plopp forever.

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7452 on: November 03, 2011, 05:00:32 PM »
Best: tender moment from the Alaskan lad. Also, Tom and Spike. After all this time, Spike legitimatley laughed with Tom. Both shocking and beautiful.

Spike, ya gotta make an appearance! Just think how cool it would be to spin a track or two of your favorite records to listeners all over the world!

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7453 on: November 03, 2011, 06:07:28 PM »
Yep, since the mystique is blown, you may as well go over to the studio! No reason not to no more.

I'll call up and we can put the Mary Tyler Moore show ladies in order of preference!
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7454 on: November 03, 2011, 06:10:26 PM »
Worst Parts:
-Not Vinnie Vulgar's finest call. That guy should take some lessons from Spike.

First, I think you need some respect-showing lessons, because his name is Vulgar Vinnie, not Vinnie Vulgar. Second, VV emailed me after the show (thankfully there was no attachment) to acknowledge he was a little too subdued. Thankfully, he's taking notes on Rick Perry's recent corrective measures in that regard and promises to be more animated during his next Mike Show call in 2017.

Vulgar Vinnie deserves props, if only for "He lost it at the movies."
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.