Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2823948 times)

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8205 on: March 14, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
_ from _ at 58:10 - "Hey this is really boring" response by Hatch Patch: "so are you"  This show was bee-yoo-tee-ful.  Got my hmitatine hate-buzz on. The bass player made _ from _ sound like a cult leader ("he backed me in a corner with his words").
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Greggulator

« Reply #8206 on: March 14, 2012, 12:42:50 PM »
Daniel's chatter of how it should be made clear up front in a band that no member is irreplaceable especially holds true for Mit Hamine. For those who haven't heard, they're a crummy version of low-fi Beck and Beat Happening. Literally anyone can play their music, iPhone included.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8207 on: March 14, 2012, 01:27:18 PM »
Zach From Richmond is the absolute biggest tool. I don't think he plays the role of Best Show Enemy well. I think he's just a general nuisance.

Being the absolute biggest tool and a general nuisance is the prerequisite for being the Best Show Enemy. Remember Kid Kansas, remember Mr. T, remember Hesh, remember James, remember late-period Petey, and he-who-shan't-be-named. They all have been incredibly and persistently lame.
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

Crusherkc

« Reply #8208 on: March 14, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »
"Like the pizza box says 'You've tried the Best, now try the Rest!'"

In keeping with the topic "What movie traumatized you when you were a kid and when would you know when you would 'bite it' in a horror film" I have a couple of entries.  Before that I'd answer the 2nd part of the topic "never"- I always see myself in the first 5 minutes of a slasher movie looking over the group I'm supposed to go camping with or into space with or hunting for forbidden treasure with and say "nah. I'm taking it somewhere else." My antisocial tendiencies would save me (or probably get me killed before "Directed by" pops up as a horror table-setter). 

There were two things that frightened the hell out of me as a kid, one an actual movie and another a documentary.  They're both from the early/mid 70s...the opening minute of the documentary for Alvin Toffler's book "Future Shock" :

Future Shock (1972) 1/5

It's actually a pretty interesting artifact from the early 70s hosted by Orson Welles. I'd see those two weird robotic people in the TV Guide and I'd start crying. 

And the other thing is this guy from the TV movie "Trilogy of Terror", starring Karen Black:

He also made a horrible noise my sister used to torture me with.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8209 on: March 14, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »
The bit about M___ H____'s bassist being told 'you are replaceable' reminds me of hearing about Mike Joyce and the other guy suing Morrissey. Apparently Morrissey told them they were replaceable 'like parts in a lawnmower'.

http://www.cemetrygates.com/vault/news/court.html

Gamma Gamma Ray

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8210 on: March 14, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »
Except I don't have the response to S*** H****** that I have to the rythym section behind "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now"

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8211 on: March 14, 2012, 03:01:43 PM »
There were points last night where I wasn't sure if he was simply trolling the phones or he legitimately thought that the phones were having technical difficulties and that's why he kept getting hung up on.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8212 on: March 14, 2012, 03:49:58 PM »
At the end of his life, was Orson Welles playing Orson Welles or was he playing Orson Welles playing Orson Welles?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

bigoteetoe

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8213 on: March 14, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »
Will's call was great, especially the sunglasses part. Though not specifically my favorite part, when Greggulator called in, I think the show really started to pick up/hit its stride
the pudding is delicious

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8214 on: March 14, 2012, 05:59:55 PM »
Hey FOT,
    I wanted to get on and really try to reclaim my good name, but somehow, Hatch and co. were willing to give more time to everyone's least favorite caller ever than me.  Not sure what happened, there.  I didn't hear the aftermath of my hangup, so I hope it was a truly worthy laugh for listeners and hosts, because otherwise it was baffling.  I indulged the "do it again" request, while putting out an old fear on a radio show, when it wasn't even the topic I wanted to necessarily touch on, and once I did, I didn't even get to finish the story. 

I'm sure it was done in fun, but I was still a little let down, especially having worked with all involved on the show, before.  It was tough enough, driving home, letting the phone ring for over ten minutes, with no call screener or hold show to keep up with the discussion, trying to call in to support my fill-in friends, just to get hung up on like that.  I know I probably just sound whiny, but it just bothered me a little, especially considering there's a major tool getting tons more attention than he rightly deserves, just for being a major tool.  Thanks for hearing me out.

-Zach (Big Z)

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8215 on: March 14, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »
Zach --

I looked up that Sesame Street pyramid skit and appreciated hearing about it and hearing your memories of it. But come on, dude, it's the Best Show.* Nobody is immune from a random gomp-ho. Hatch was cutting off people left and right, including AP Mike. I'm not sure why you should feel especially singled out in that regard. Sure, you were at a disadvantage in that you weren't in a place where you could follow the flow of the show. But them's the breaks.Your call was good, I think you were given a reasonable chunk of time. And then at the end, Hatch was just funnin' you a bit by getting you to repeat the "Ernie laugh" and then cutting you off in the middle of it. Come on, Big Z. Look at the bright side of things.

*(Technically, it's "the Rest Show", but you know what I'm saying. Many of the Best Show traditions are firmly in place).

I know I probably just sound whiny, but it just bothered me a little, especially considering there's a major tool getting tons more attention than he rightly deserves, just for being a major tool ...

Richmond Z--- from Moot Ham'N'Cheese was very generously given a chance to redeem himself and then he totally blew it by saying a profanity (from what I could gather). After that, he was gomped on every single time he tried to call back. It all made for good radio drama. Keep things in perspective.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8216 on: March 14, 2012, 08:47:09 PM »
Hey,
   As you said, though, it's NOT technically The Best Show.  I just don't think that stuff that Tom works his magic with so well should need to feel so strictly stuck with when it's not Tom.  They let the MH Richmond Z talk and talk and were offerring to actually play a song.  That is very unlike Tom.  Sure, you can be respectful to the show you're filling in for, but you don't need it to emulate every bit of it.  If it weren't for the one guy getting his chance on the air to be obnoxious and self-promoting (who would have guessed?), and the fact that I've been there doing one of these shows with them (albeit it, with Wally), a hang-up wouldn't have hit home as hard.  I just would have liked to at least get through the story that was pulled out reluctantly, rather than kind of making me the butt of a joke, just to hang up.  Just my POV.  I still like everyone, don't get me wrong, but I just didn't like how the call ended.

-Zach (Big Z)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8217 on: March 14, 2012, 08:50:42 PM »
When Mike told about having the "big heart-to-heart" with his Mom about what the word "masturbation" meant, I have to admit it crossed my mind to wonder who was telling whom.

Also, Zach? You got to RROLLLL with it, Baby. Don't stop and lose your touch, oh no, Baby. Come on and just roll with it, Baby.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Kormod

« Reply #8218 on: March 14, 2012, 11:15:38 PM »
Hey,
   As you said, though, it's NOT technically The Best Show.  I just don't think that stuff that Tom works his magic with so well should need to feel so strictly stuck with when it's not Tom.  They let the MH Richmond Z talk and talk and were offerring to actually play a song.  That is very unlike Tom.  Sure, you can be respectful to the show you're filling in for, but you don't need it to emulate every bit of it.  If it weren't for the one guy getting his chance on the air to be obnoxious and self-promoting (who would have guessed?), and the fact that I've been there doing one of these shows with them (albeit it, with Wally), a hang-up wouldn't have hit home as hard.  I just would have liked to at least get through the story that was pulled out reluctantly, rather than kind of making me the butt of a joke, just to hang up.  Just my POV.  I still like everyone, don't get me wrong, but I just didn't like how the call ended.

-Zach (Big Z)

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8219 on: March 14, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »
Yeah Zach, you gotta roll with it. A guy from austin who might of been famous or something got hung up on in the same fashion and I think Mackro(I could be wrong) was also hung up on. They got to keep the show moving.