Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2828882 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8325 on: March 30, 2012, 10:42:04 AM »
I'm an old fart and I agree completely.  About WFUV too.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8326 on: March 30, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »
There is no greater hell than being stuck in traffic in a car driven by your uncle who LOVES the classic rock station.

Much like how Jason made "Y'allbegone Pond" you should make a series of "Greggulator's Tales of Horror" with this as your initial episode...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8327 on: March 30, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »
Whenever I think of the Eagles now, I think of this gem of comedy The H is O!
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

Crusherkc

« Reply #8328 on: March 30, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »
There is no greater hell than being stuck in traffic in a car driven by your uncle who LOVES the classic rock station.

"I'm getting closer to my home
I'm getting closer to my home
I'm getting closer to my home... [repeat endlessly]"

Who did that, Grand Funk?  ugh. Seriously classic rock, gives us a 'McArthur Park' or a 'Cowboy Star' every once in awhile for laughs.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8329 on: March 30, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
"ew... I don't want to hear your weird Richard Butler erotic fiction!"

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8330 on: March 30, 2012, 12:18:49 PM »
"You... eat like that."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8331 on: March 30, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »
Also, I really enjoyed Tom taking the piss out of the classic rock guys. I can't think of a more condescending, crypto-racist fandom.

Yeah.  Those guys typically go..."Now let me tell something about REAL music..." meaning, I don't understand modern life, can we talk about things from when I was young?  And funny, when they talk about 'classic music' it's never soul, funk, or motown.  And certainly not disco!

Maybe. But by implication, aren't you saying the same thing about the music you happen to like over the music they happen to like? I wish I could live long enough to see how many of you will behave when you get a lot older and things start not making sense to you. As hard as it is for me to imagine, I bet there will be a lot of "Now let me tell something about REAL music.....RZA, Deerhunter, Mastodon...".

Crusherkc

« Reply #8332 on: March 30, 2012, 01:24:38 PM »
Also, I really enjoyed Tom taking the piss out of the classic rock guys. I can't think of a more condescending, crypto-racist fandom.

Yeah.  Those guys typically go..."Now let me tell something about REAL music..." meaning, I don't understand modern life, can we talk about things from when I was young?  And funny, when they talk about 'classic music' it's never soul, funk, or motown.  And certainly not disco!

Maybe. But by implication, aren't you saying the same thing about the music you happen to like over the music they happen to like? I wish I could live long enough to see how many of you will behave when you get a lot older and things start not making sense to you. As hard as it is for me to imagine, I bet there will be a lot of "Now let me tell something about REAL music.....RZA, Deerhunter, Mastodon...".

Words of wisdom, Mr. from Knoxville.  Words. Of. Wisdom.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Greggulator

« Reply #8333 on: March 30, 2012, 01:57:08 PM »

I grew up doing that trying to push my tastes upon my less-than-tasteful friends. Isn't that why Pavement exists?
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8334 on: March 30, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »
So, who's this Alex character? He called in saying he was calling from Detroit @ 2:38:34, then called back as Alex from Anchorage @ 2:47:57. I remember that he's been calling a couple of times in the past, but the only specific instance I could identify was as "Alex in Bitters, Arkansas" @ 0:36:39 from the January 31 episode.

FWIW, he's a regular caller on Shut Up Weirdo as "George"…

The callers who call all shows are really freaky. Until I listened to old Best Show episodes, I had no idea who the Kansas creep was that called into Seven Second Delay a couple of times. I also didn't fully get the way that Ken made fun of him.

Spike is one of the more normal "all FMU show" callers and that should tell you all you need to know right there.

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8335 on: March 30, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »
It's not as weird listening to "his" past appearances on the show as I thought it would be. I'm just laughing.

If you say "his" name, you'll have to spin around three times and spit over your left shoulder! j/k

"He" is still and probably will remain a funny guy. But, considering everything, I have icky reservations about him.

Alex P.

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8336 on: March 30, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »
It just feels weird typing out his name, I don't understand myself.

RVARichmond

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8337 on: March 30, 2012, 03:03:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure the doofus doing the muppet voice asking Tom about the fund-raiser was Zilch, had the same bone-headed inflection and lack of talent oozing from the voice. Also, I feel like I pretty much only get on here to talk about him, I clearly need to reflect on my life.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8338 on: March 30, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »

Well, but I'm already there, pretty much.  I'm a tail-end baby boomer; unlike many in my cohort, I didn't stop being interested in new music when I hit 25, but I can no longer claim to be much interested in what The Kids are listening to.  The obnoxious thing about the Classic Rock attitude is its premise that "REAL music" is distinguished by, among other things: a) instrumental virtuosity; 2) comfortable fit within a mostly blues-based tradition; and 3) the chronological accident of having been made during the 60s and 70s.  It's one thing to have come to a point in life where up-to-the-minute pop culture no longer speaks to you all that much; it's another to hold the smug attitude that it's inherently less legitimate or "real" than it was in the old days that these kids are sadly deprived for having missed.

Oh yeah, another obnoxious thing about the Classic Rock attitude is that a huge proportion of the music it venerates blows chunks.

"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8339 on: March 30, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »
It just feels weird typing out his name, I don't understand myself.

I understand. I was just goofing on you with the first part.  :)