Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2823952 times)

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8595 on: May 31, 2012, 01:15:15 AM »
"Let's just build the dumbest collection for you."

You just reminded me..."Blonde On Blonde?"

"Dump it"
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8596 on: May 31, 2012, 01:33:08 AM »
Gary: "Hey Mike, you excited about how we did 500 Best Shows?"

Mike: (voice distant, in the next room): "... well I haven't been here for the full run ..."

Gary: "You weren't? I think I was!"

(Pause)

Gary: "You're kind of a noob!"
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

vert

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8597 on: May 31, 2012, 01:51:13 AM »
I always click through friendsoftom.com when I come to this site, and I had quite the moment when I saw this gem:

"Mike Lisk ‏@APMike

Just confirmed: my answer song to @GaryThaSquirrel will have a sax solo. And as we all know: sax = sex (listen to Sade if you doubt me)."

So that is amazing.  Of course Gary's new song was the best moment of the show, but I liked Tom's take on the band as well:

"I'd rather listen to "da band", with Chopper and the crew"

My head nearly exploded over that one  ;D

RVARichmond

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8598 on: May 31, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »
The hang-up on Spike at the top was probably the most unexpected and hilarious to me among a sea of great hang-ups.

Chrissy in MN

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8599 on: May 31, 2012, 12:47:01 PM »
There's no room for fun in music, guys. This is serious business.

vicd

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8600 on: May 31, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »
I thought it was funny that Tom used John Fogerty (a man notorious for his lack of a sense of humor) and CCR as an example of "Fun" music.

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8601 on: May 31, 2012, 02:43:25 PM »
I thought it was funny that Tom used John Fogerty (a man notorious for his lack of a sense of humor) and CCR as an example of "Fun" music.

Please elaborate, because everything I've ever heard of Fogarty is the opposite.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8602 on: May 31, 2012, 04:04:05 PM »

Please elaborate, because everything I've ever heard of Fogarty is the opposite.

Possibly not so much a lack of a sense of humor as a bitterness. Fogerty got screwed over by Saul Zaentz and spent a considerable part of the 70s and 80s dealing with suits and countersuits. Ultimately he prevailed so maybe his mood has improved since.

Also Fogarty was really uptight about drugs in the 60s, so there's that.

As far as CCR's music, well, Keep On Chooglin' is a pretty fun title. Also that they were mostly pretty simple and short songs makes them fun as opposed to say the story line of 'Tommy'.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8603 on: May 31, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
Tom thinks The Band stunk because they took themselves too seriously.  I think they were great and Robbie Robertson took himself way too seriously, at least once he got struck with some weird elephantiasis of the self-consciousness gland somewhere during the making of Stage Fright. Oh well, that's what makes hoss races.  Meanwhile, I hadn't realized that Tom faves such as Led Zeppelin and Queen had such sprightly, frolicsome senses of humor about themselves.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #8604 on: May 31, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »
If you can't hear Led Zeppelin or Queen having fun with their music I truly don't know what to tell you.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8605 on: May 31, 2012, 08:37:06 PM »
Tom thinks The Band stunk because they took themselves too seriously.  I think they were great and Robbie Robertson took himself way too seriously, at least once he got struck with some weird elephantiasis of the self-consciousness gland somewhere during the making of Stage Fright. Oh well, that's what makes hoss races.  Meanwhile, I hadn't realized that Tom faves such as Led Zeppelin and Queen had such sprightly, frolicsome senses of humor about themselves.

Zeppelin wrote a number of songs about Hobbits. What's funnier than that? "Going To California" is also funny in an unintentional sort of way.

All kidding aside, I disagree with the notion that The Band took themselves too seriously. There are moments of whimsy and lightheartedness to be found in their catalog. There's more to them than just "The Weight" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8606 on: May 31, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Tom Fogerty might have something to say about John's lightheartedness.

You know, if.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8607 on: May 31, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »
Well, you know, if you can't hear Garth Hudson having fun on The Basement Tapes' "Apple Suckling Tree," or Richard Manuel having fun on the solo that closes out "Rag Mama Rag," or Levon Helm having fun singing "Strawberry Wine"-- etc. etc.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #8608 on: May 31, 2012, 09:32:15 PM »
I am shocked how hard some of you are working to convince that I should like the Band.

I don't. I have tried again and again and I don't. It doesn't work for me. If it works for you, great. There are things I like that many of you think suck. That's okay too. It's all okay, guys.

Tom.

break

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8609 on: May 31, 2012, 09:39:31 PM »

All kidding aside, I disagree with the notion that The Band took themselves too seriously. There are moments of whimsy and lightheartedness to be found in their catalog. There's more to them than just "The Weight" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."

I think you mean "The Night They Drove Old Dick C. Down".