Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2900001 times)

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9330 on: October 19, 2012, 09:06:33 AM »
The only other time I've heard mention of James Best besides his playing Roscoe P. Coltrane is that he was Quentin Tarantino's acting teacher.  Surprised he hasn't thrown his old mentor a bone by putting him in one of his productions.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9331 on: October 19, 2012, 09:31:57 AM »
He was in a couple of Twilight Zones.

Those dogs are upsetting on at least two levels.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9332 on: October 19, 2012, 11:56:02 AM »
Finally listening to the show. The Zach call followed by this discussion of House Party is a true Two For Tuesday.

The KPAX Halloween costume is hilarious.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9333 on: October 19, 2012, 02:31:49 PM »
Clearly I enjoy the Best Show, and I don't think I've been stingy with my praise over the years.

The Frankie Teardrop talk, though, deserves to be singled out as something special. 

It's easy to pile on the podcast scene as just another version of the Morning Zoo, but how many comedians in the world could a) put together *any* bit about Suicide's first album and how scary it is b) start that bit in an unheard interview with a college student, c) carry that bit over into the main show and d) have it actually be understandable, much less hilarious?  And twelve years into a run on the same program?

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9334 on: October 19, 2012, 02:37:11 PM »
the tag line for the Algonquin Round Table reboot should be "It's Hip To Be Round!"
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9335 on: October 19, 2012, 09:29:45 PM »
now you're messin with a    Son Of A     BITCH

QuizGuy66

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9336 on: October 19, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »
Arguably the best Best Show of the year from ice cream music all the way to Tuesday becoming Wednesday.

- Evidently a lot of people took it really personally and negatively but Tom Bad Companying Ted Leo was the defined highlight
- Taylor from Denver's first date karaoke
- Tom singing BNL and Danne singing Stevie Wonder
- The hope that Spike's endorsement of Judge John Hodgman will make it on that podcast next week
- A.C. Newman working blue all night, esp. it leading to placenta

This has probably made my year :)  Thank you :)
-QG
“You can’t be George either,” he said. “You’ll have to be Railroad.”

“But I don’t want to be Railroad,” I protested.

- George Railroad Martin
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/about-george/speeches/here-i-am-again/

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9337 on: October 21, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »
The Gene Shalit sex tape (2 weeks ago).

DMX being killed by his dog while 'Frankie Teardrop' plays (Tom's DMX impression in general - like an only very slightly more articulate and self-aware Cookie Monster).

Mike's review of Neil Young's book.

Worst is Zach's ongoing calls with a low point this week being his going ahead and saying he's mainly just trying to hijack The Best Show audience to get his message out there.

I kind of liked the House Party/House Party II talk. It's funny when things get into that level of specifics ('The second album made it to 55 on the top 200') about things that trivial. Easy to imagine the guy going on the House Party forums to vent after being Bad Company'd.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9338 on: October 22, 2012, 10:09:59 AM »

Worst is Zach's ongoing calls with a low point this week being his going ahead and saying he's mainly just trying to hijack The Best Show audience to get his message out there.

I agree with everything you said except the word "message," which I would replace with "'message'."

VealCutlet

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9339 on: October 24, 2012, 11:10:22 AM »
Last night's show with Chris Elliott and Adam Resnick was one of my favorite Best Shows ever.  It was almost like a DVD commentary track for Cabin Boy and Get a Life.   Also, I also found out that this exists!

Orson Welles MOBY DICK SECONDO CIAK
That's just the tip of the ice cube.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9340 on: October 24, 2012, 02:16:44 PM »
Welles wanted bad to make Moby-Dick as a film but had to settle for a small part in John Huston's crappy version.  Huston should have played Ahab and let Welles direct.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9341 on: October 24, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »
The show was so great this week. Some of my favorite moments were:

Tom on Robert Klein hosting the Andy Kaufman tribute, "He would want my leg to not stop."

Chris on the Friedmans, "That whole family, salt of the Earth."

Chris looking back on that FOX promo guy being promoted to executive, "I shouldn't have made those fart noises." Pretty much all the stories Chris Elliot told were amazing.

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9342 on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:16 PM »

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9343 on: October 25, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »
I love that Tom brought up Moving Violations.  I've seen it about a half dozen times in my life and I cannot explain why.  It's not good, and it's kind of sad to watch John Murray try so hard to be Bill, but for whatever reason whenever HBO would run it, I would be compelled beyond all reason to sit there and watch ALL of it.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9344 on: October 25, 2012, 06:48:48 PM »
I love that Tom brought up Moving Violations.  I've seen it about a half dozen times in my life and I cannot explain why.  It's not good, and it's kind of sad to watch John Murray try so hard to be Bill, but for whatever reason whenever HBO would run it, I would be compelled beyond all reason to sit there and watch ALL of it.

I saw it so many times I can remember how the theme song goes.

Moving violation -lations -lations -lations