Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2823979 times)

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9585 on: January 12, 2013, 11:14:16 PM »
Was Tom pulling Sarah from Chicago's leg when he said flushing the public restroom toilet with your foot was commonplace? I'm familiar with the practice, but I just assumed the people who did it were weirdos and germaphobes.

If you ask me these are the people who get hit hard by the flu. Those of us who flush willy nilly get a little more exposure to germs so we're better equipped to deal.

That lengthy discussion on toilet flushing was worse than Randy from NC's call.

Ojingeo

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9586 on: January 13, 2013, 12:33:28 AM »
Also, I thought the discussion was pretty funny. Maybe because I AM one of those weirdos who foot-flush. And I wouldn't consider myself a germaphobe.

The next chapter in the ESL book I'm using is themed "Cleanliness." I should use that call for a listening exercise. I would love to center all of my classes around the Best Show.
I can hear you judging me.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9587 on: January 13, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »
Soon to be ripped off paid homage in Quentin Tarantino's DINKLAGE UNCHAINED:

Trailer - For Your Height Only
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9588 on: January 13, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »
Was Tom pulling Sarah from Chicago's leg when he said flushing the public restroom toilet with your foot was commonplace? I'm familiar with the practice, but I just assumed the people who did it were weirdos and germaphobes.

I dunno if he was serious, but I have heard stuff on the show before that suggests he's pretty scared of cooties. I can not condone people spreading whatever is on the bathroom floor onto the toilet flush lever via their shoes. That's mind-blowingly gross.

I do think her suggestion of public toilets with flush levers at floor level is pretty smart.

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9589 on: January 13, 2013, 06:10:55 PM »
Get with it, germaphobia isn't irrational. We've all been assaulted by germs countless times. If you aren't willing to foot flush, use your elbow or wrist or a wad of toilet paper... amything but your filthy digits.  And while you're at it wipe down your doorknobs and computer keyboards.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9590 on: January 13, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »
Alison S.

St Petersburg, FL 7/31/2011 1 Check-in Here
I enjoyed the talk about The Emerald Bar.

From a review:

Yes, people are smoking. BUT Yes, it's a much needed injection of filthy, dirty rock 'n' roll, of several kinds!

I personally did not smell any foul, BO riddled youth. Maybe the lingering cigarette smoke canceled that out or I had enjoyed enough of their beer to not notice or really give a damn. The bartenders were very busy, and working hard but remained very pleasant.

The most important and surprising factor in this equation is that the bathrooms were not as dingy as I assumed they would be and there was a constant supply of toilet paper... and soap... and paper towels. Whaaaat?! Yes a full supply at all times. Crazy I know.

My husband and I were always skeptical of the Emerald and the sketchiness that may occur. It's not that we read the cover of that book entirely wrong but let's just say there were several nice surprises within the pages.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9591 on: January 13, 2013, 06:40:03 PM »
Central Avenue in St. Pete is where it's at. Leafy Greens Cafe, Daddy Kool Records, The Spot... had we known about the Emerald Bar... what the hell, why not?

Can anybody explain the popularity of Yuengling in Tampa/St. Pete?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9592 on: January 13, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »

Can anybody explain the popularity of Yuengling in Tampa/St. Pete?
Brewed in Tampa.  Word has it, the water gets shipped down from Pennsylvania.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

narwhale

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9593 on: January 14, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
I'm sure this was covered in the chat on show night, but the other whiny pop-punk band Tom was talking about ('I don't want to waste my time...') was Sum 41.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9594 on: January 14, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
Wait! Fredericks has a WIFE??!!??

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9595 on: January 14, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »
their talk of shitty 90s whine-rock bands "Tarkington 44" (I think Booth 44 is more plausible, meself): "all the...small things..." and "some-bo-dy..."
I know it was intended to sound annoying, but Tom's voice when he was aping those bands was so unpleasant it triggered my fight-or-flight response. The road conditions were the only reason I didn't punch my iPod.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9596 on: January 14, 2013, 09:09:44 PM »
I chaperoned my SO's then-pubescent son on his first date to a rock show: Green Day and Sum 41 at Madison Square Garden. Tom's impersonation of Sum 41-esque vocalese was distressingly memory-inducing.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

break

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9597 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:22 PM »
"Life of Pie: The Chris Christie Story"

Lookit

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9598 on: January 15, 2013, 08:33:45 AM »

If you ask me these are the people who get hit hard by the flu. Those of us who flush willy nilly get a little more exposure to germs so we're better equipped to deal.

I was somewhat confused by the flusher setup when I first moved to the USA. I pretty much assumed you were supposed to press it with your foot. Why is it so low down if not for that reason?

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9599 on: January 15, 2013, 01:51:31 PM »
Wait! Fredericks has a WIFE??!!??

Consider me also very surprised. I assumed he had at least two.

8)
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!