Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2828777 times)

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9825 on: April 05, 2013, 02:14:27 PM »
Mike -

That Pixies show was indeed the best I had ever seen them. And I liked it more than I expressed on the radio. It's just that they became SO bad SO fast and yeah, they seemed SO BORED and above it. I still don't like any of their records outside of a song here and there; they were major coattail riders back then - other people simply did it better than them before them - something that has gotten lost as time has rolled on.

break

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9826 on: April 06, 2013, 08:10:49 AM »
The brief discussion of the pleasures of beating an overly opportunistic record store owner at his own game.  It really is a special joy when a guy has good stuff but it is absurdly priced, and then you dig some collectible oddity out of the $3.99 bin.

mcsea

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9827 on: April 06, 2013, 10:27:51 AM »
I really want to know who this comedian-turned-enemy is that cannot be discussed!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9828 on: April 06, 2013, 11:22:30 AM »
I really want to know who this comedian-turned-enemy is that cannot be discussed!

Artie Johnson

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9829 on: April 06, 2013, 11:30:53 AM »

His casual racism was always a great addition to The Best Show. I hope he and Tom mend fences.
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

Crusherkc

« Reply #9830 on: April 06, 2013, 12:11:52 PM »

Everyone knows it's Elayne Boosler.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9831 on: April 06, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »

Artie Johnson
You sure? I swore it was Henry Gibson.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9832 on: April 06, 2013, 12:47:01 PM »
Bud Abbot. He finally just couldn't take Tom's snarking on the "Who's on First" routine anymore, and... words were spoken in anger.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

mcsea

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9833 on: April 06, 2013, 06:56:06 PM »
I get it, I get it. I will be quiet now

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9834 on: April 07, 2013, 03:39:18 AM »
I been travelling around a bit lately and I've noticed that The Best Show is a great travelling companion.
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9835 on: April 07, 2013, 03:30:38 PM »
I will never tire of Robin Williams talking about Reddit.

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9836 on: April 07, 2013, 07:37:13 PM »
I could listen to Tom and Andy entertain each other for hours.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9837 on: April 08, 2013, 09:35:50 AM »
I been travelling around a bit lately and I've noticed that The Best Show is a great travelling companion.

That's how I got started.

Re: The Pixies, a couple years back they were touring and I listened to a recording of their performance in Indianapolis. There was maybe one moment where they interacted w/ the audience, and it was to tell an incredibly uninteresting but mercifully brief story about performing in Fort Wayne back in the old days. They may as well have asked the Indianapolis audience 'Hey Fort Wayne! Are you ready to rock?!'

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9838 on: April 08, 2013, 09:36:41 AM »

His casual racism was always a great addition to The Best Show. I hope he and Tom mend fences.

I hate him because I envy his teeth.

Greggulator

« Reply #9839 on: April 08, 2013, 10:23:14 AM »
The Pixies stuff was such an interesting discussion. They and Pavement were pretty much the two bands I listened to the most in college. I always really wanted to see a Pixies reunion and then when it actually happened I could have cared less. Anytime I revisit The Pixies (and Pavement) I just get bored. I just bought Doolittle at the Princeton Record Exchange and didn't even bother to put on Side 2.

A lot of this is because my music tastes expanded over time and there's bands of the era I like a lot more. And some of it is that I had such a weird time of music fandom in college in that I went from loving pop-punk/ska into The Pixies and Pavement and then the more pretentious indie of the era (since I wanted that cred for my awful record reviews). And then I remembered afterwards that I got into going to shows and record shopping because music was fun. So I relistened to all of the Ramones and Queers and Clash (who are as serious as it gets in terms of politics but obviously loved playing music -- every type of music -- to entertain people) and DK (Jello Biafra is on par with Jonathan Swift as a social satirist) albums I had in high school. And then I got into The Who (see: The Clash) and Queen (the goofiest, most ridiculous band that still has amazing musicianship) big time. And then The Pixies and Pavement just seems so forced and shoehorned and calculated. They (and stuff like Built to Spill and The Archers of Loaf) still have songs I like a lot but I don't love them anymore.

As far as the episode goes -- Sue Costello was a giant awakening for me. I always knew who she was and her style -- the rough blue collar Bahstan -- isn't someone I'd expect to hear with Gary The Squirrel ever. But it worked AMAZINGLY WELL! She rolled with the punches and was hysterical!
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com