Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810568 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7110 on: September 20, 2011, 10:12:53 AM »
I'm loving all the dark arts stuff, especially the boring demon calls from a few weeks ago and the bit about making small talk with other occultists.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7111 on: September 20, 2011, 10:32:34 AM »
I loved Hodgman's musings on Silent Running -I am always amazed that movie exists.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Chrissy in MN

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7112 on: September 21, 2011, 07:37:10 AM »
Pizza Buddies. Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks bond due to a mutual love for hot garbage.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7113 on: September 21, 2011, 09:18:18 AM »
The Fonz Album bit had me in stitches. That was probably the hardest I've ever laughed at anything.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7114 on: September 21, 2011, 09:38:59 AM »
The talk of Kenneth Anger directing "28 Dresses" and  the Let's Go Rangers, Con-jure a De-mon chant.
Also, the movie with working title Pizza Buddies should be called either "Pepperoni Pals" or "You Tried the Rest, Now Try the Best" (or for brevity's sake "Try the Best"

Thank you.

PS: Re: the Dickie Betts movie- To quote Jen Kirkman's retort to Jason from Huntsville, "Regional Pride"

"Boston Movie Trailer"
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7115 on: September 21, 2011, 09:42:55 AM »
Visits from Matthew Tompkins are always special. I just love the name drops. I get google image search ready.

I love the "_______ _______ Two Hours" show titles and any use of the words step-neice, nephew, or uncle.

vicd

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7116 on: September 21, 2011, 10:32:43 AM »
"He finds the mutilated remains of Stretch Cunningham's brother, Shrunk."

Key Loser

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7117 on: September 21, 2011, 11:42:27 AM »
Shroud whipping league

vicd

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7118 on: September 21, 2011, 11:58:04 AM »
"That was our Charles Dickens."

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7119 on: September 21, 2011, 01:47:30 PM »
...the Let's Go Rangers, Con-jure a De-mon chant.

Loved that.

I love Kenneth Anger, but there is a lot of unintentional humour in Anger's most recent work, 'The Man We Want To Hang'. The film consists of an exhibition of Alaister Crowley's paintings, with dramatic music and slow pans over his artwork. This is all supposed to be very meaningful and dramatic, but the paintings are utterly, utterly dreadful childish junk, to the point that the film almost seems like it is making fun. It is certainly proof that summoning demons is no short cut to artistic talent.

Some of his paintings, taken from http://www.argentiumastrum.org/artwork_of_aleister_crowley.htm

The Film

Kenneth.Anger.-.The.Man.We.Want.to.Hang-fitz.avi

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7120 on: September 21, 2011, 04:52:26 PM »
Is Domino's Pizza really cheap over there? In the UK, it's expensive. Like twice the cost of a standard fast-food outlet.

Chrissy in MN

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7121 on: September 21, 2011, 05:10:25 PM »
And they're like, "I've got a kid now."

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7122 on: September 21, 2011, 05:40:39 PM »
Loved Tom's super-acurate prediction of what a Smash-Mouth concert would be like, such as the teaser/stop of the first word of their dumb hit song in thinking it would pump up the crowd.

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7123 on: September 21, 2011, 07:56:08 PM »

Loved that.

I love Kenneth Anger, but there is a lot of unintentional humour in Anger's most recent work, 'The Man We Want To Hang'. The film consists of an exhibition of Alaister Crowley's paintings, with dramatic music and slow pans over his artwork. This is all supposed to be very meaningful and dramatic, but the paintings are utterly, utterly dreadful childish junk, to the point that the film almost seems like it is making fun. It is certainly proof that summoning demons is no short cut to artistic talent.

Speaking of Kenneth Anger: here's a very interesting obituary for Curtis Harrington written by friend of The Best Show Lisa Jane Persky. It describes Harrington's funeral, which Anger crashed/interrupted in a theatrical and cultish manner.

http://www.forteantimes.com/strangedays/obituaries/645/curtis_harrington.html

And to supply my two cents: I really like Anger's films but I think his book Hollywood Babylon is creepy, exploitative and vindictive, as if Anger, who was a failed Hollywood child-actor, was exercising his resentment demons toward Hollywood-in-general by "exposing" scandals, murders, deaths and failure. It's like he put a curse on the Star Factory-- like he did to Jimmy Page-- and then wanted to show the curse at work. In other words: I don't recommend the book.

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7124 on: September 21, 2011, 08:16:18 PM »
JW was on fire this week.  And wasn't Tom actually singing an Aerosmith riff?