Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810596 times)

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7275 on: October 07, 2011, 06:22:44 PM »
SCENIC ROUTE!!!!!!!!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7276 on: October 07, 2011, 09:26:23 PM »
"It's muffled again."
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7277 on: October 07, 2011, 09:48:58 PM »
The notion that Nevermind is some terrible hunk of garbage is pretty absurd and sick to my mind.  I've never understood why Nevermind has to be massacred in the process of picking Bleach or another Nirvana album as their best.  I don't mind Mr. Vig's production work, though I can understand the criticisms of it.  I like the songs, so I don't have much interest in analyzing the technical aspects of their recording or assessing whether the production is some sort of timeless sonic masterwork.  I'm no Greg Klot or Jim DeRoglottis!  I am, however, an unabashed fan of rock that features production that would send most people into an soundproof bunker, so there's no amount of Vig knob-twirling that would phase me.  I once told someone1 that Robert "Mutt" Lange's production on  Hysteria was "a bit too raw and spare for my taste."  I've always liked that Bleach, Nevermind, and In Utero offered different takes on the recording/production of the band with Endino, Vig, and Albino (+ Scott Litt remixing) at the helm.  Plus, the Unplugged performance/album, which is a stunning document forever haunted by the tragedy four months later.  It's great, but I have a hard time listening to it.

In general, I think one's response to and connection with Nevermind has a lot to do with the context of the initial exposure.  I can vividly recall returning home from school, securing a pack of Lance® Toastchee® Sandwich Crackers, and flipping on MTV hoping to see Skid Row's "Slave to the Grind" video (or at least Pauley Shore chillin').  It's hard to discuss "Smells Like Teen Spirit" without lapsing into drippy cliche, but I found it to be a very powerful experience.  I knew it was good and I knew it was good in a way that was different than GNR or Warrant or Ratt or Dokken or White Lion or Tesla, although I guess some of the revisionist history on this album is that it wasn't really that much different than the glossy rock of the previous era -- ear candy all the same!  Oh what a tangled web Charles R. Martin weaves!  Axl and Kurt! And based on the video, it was clear that this was clearly coming from somewhere else that was not the clubs that populated the Sunset Strip.  Tawny Kitaen was not dangling from the gymnasium rafters while wearing a wind-aided sheer nightgown.  For me, Nevermind served as a Chippert Report-level lidblower and cracked the door on the opportunity to further explore new musical worlds that had existed in parallel for years -- some completely new to me and others involving bands that I knew and liked in a more casual way without knowing that much about their origins or scene or why they didn't use potent hairspray or dress flamboyantly aside from like Bob Stinson's tutu fetish, Pete Buck's paisley shirts, Frank Black's buttless chaps. Yes he did wear those.

My experience with music up to that point was mostly rooted in  mainstream radio/MTV (during a period of time when those musical streams were actually quite varied and good2) with a focus on metal (pop/thrash/classic).  My early collection of CASSettes included MJ's Off the Wall and Thriller; Men at Work's Business as Usual; ZZ Top's Eliminator; The J. Geils Band, Van Halen, Pat Benetar, Joan Jett, William Joel, Huey Lewis, etc. The two 45s I recall owning were Terrence Cashman's "Talkin' Baseball" and Barrance Manilow's "Can't Smile Without You."  Thinking about it now, I've always had an affinity for what would be classified as "power pop,"3 although I didn't know the term at the time.  I was also exposed to heavy doses of Frank Sinatra (via my dad's enthusiasm) and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, which my then next-door neighbor spun every night for months, the sounds wafting through a half-open bedroom window as a sort of Hitchcockian lullaby4.   

So perhaps my love of Nevermind is clouded by the haze of nostalgia?  A couple weeks ago I acquired the Nevermind reissue and cranked it in my car like it was 1991 and it sounded great to me5.  I was particularly pleased by these tracks:

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" 
"In Bloom" 
"Come as You Are" 
"Breed"
"Lithium" 
"Polly"
"Territorial Pissings" 
"Drain You" 
"Lounge Act" 
"Stay Away"
"On a Plain" 

-----------

1It was my pastor, Greg.

2I don't know why I would possibly remember this but I know that one 1989 afternoon I saw an MTV 1-2-3 wallop of Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar on Me" followed by Bob Mould's "See A Little Light" followed by Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" and I'm almost certain the VJ on duty was my beloved China Kantner!  It's positively bizarre that my mind would record this specific trio as being particularly noteworthy since I'm sure there are countless examples of similar video blocks during MTV's glory days. Either way, it's interesting that there was a time that MTV would unleash this kind of stuff in their regular rotation.  Now all they show are these damn reality shows!  Where's all the music?!  Where's that Megadeth baseline?!  And most importantly, where is dearest Kevin Seal?  I heard a rumor that he now weighs 600 pounds.

3I think it's incredibly disturbing that PPPP had a "Popper" designed specifically for use against women. 

4I witnessed a murder taking place in the neighbor's bedroom while "The Chain" played. I didn't call the police.

5In the same week I bought the new Sebastian Bach solo album, Kicking & Screaming, a shockingly strong effort. I'm never not amazed at the staggering decline in album sales.  This album debuted at #73 on the Billboard Top 200 chart with sales of 6,600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7278 on: October 07, 2011, 10:08:56 PM »
I agree with everything you said but substitute "Siamese Dream" for "Nevermind" and "Gish" for "Bleach."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7279 on: October 07, 2011, 11:37:39 PM »
I agree with everything you said but substitute "Siamese Dream" for "Nevermind" and "Gish" for "Bleach."

Glad to hear you're digging the new Baz record!
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7280 on: October 08, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »
While I realize heeding advice is not part of the new Greggulators m.o., I offer it the same:  Careful how many victory laps you take. Eventually you're going to fall on your face.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7281 on: October 08, 2011, 05:17:13 PM »
Just so everyone knows, I locked the BANNED thread because it had taken a turn from opinion-giving, agreeing/disagreeing, etc etc over to finger-wagging & attacks. People both in the thick of the thing and on the sidelines are getting very worked up here. Whoever said it was right, we are heading into fotchan territory -- so let's ratchet back a few notches and fight nice, 'kay?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7282 on: October 08, 2011, 06:34:12 PM »
I hope your proximity to my post isn't because you think I'm being mean.  Me and Greggs are cool.  So are me and Wally. I'm an impartial observer calling 'em likes I sees 'em.

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7283 on: October 08, 2011, 08:30:51 PM »
I hope your proximity to my post isn't because you think I'm being mean.  Me and Greggs are cool.  So are me and Wally. I'm an impartial observer calling 'em likes I sees 'em.

Hugatu the Watcher.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7284 on: October 08, 2011, 08:37:22 PM »
I posted here because this is the most read thread -- this thing is playing out on 3 topics that I can think of, never mind over on the twitter ... It's quieter here than it was earlier this week, but this ban thing is still playing out here there and everywhere, everyone's weighing in, and it's sure to come up next Tuesday too. Difference is here it can be contained, yes yes? I've certainly participated in my fair share of scrappin' and scrapin' on internet boards so I'm not lording nothing over nobody, believe me. If youse guys are all cool with each other, that's great. Think of me as a referee - I threw a yellow hankie down on the field because that thread had developed a stench. Know what I mean?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7285 on: October 08, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »
I find myself conflicted regarding whether or not the ban should be reset. The real question is what exactly is the criteria for what constitutes a "good" call? Wally's call was terrible on many levels. However is there anyone out there saying that it wasn't entertaining? And isn't that really the point of the whole thing? Tom doesn't spend a half hour on bad calls. It may not have been good in the way Wally or Big Z intended it to be good, but it was compelling listening.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7286 on: October 09, 2011, 12:52:24 AM »

Yeah, I've got no beef with anyone! I don't want to clog up anymore space talking about the past two weeks.

A heel is supposed to gloat! And he's supposed to get his (eventual) comeuppance. I'm not sure when I'll call in again because I don't want to tire the audience out like the whole protege thing. I made one good call and I want to keep making them. So it's best to keep them really limited but I can be as big a jerk as I want in 140 characters or less. The last thing anyone wants is for a regular caller to get carried away even if it did lead to two weeks of pretty funny stuff.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Michael in Athens

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7287 on: October 09, 2011, 01:21:44 AM »
I don't have strong feelings about whether the ban should be reset, but it would be a shame to miss out on more calls like Wally's. One of the reasons it was great is that there was so much at stake. Would banned callers still get the opportunity to risk calling in? Regardless, from my perspective, Wally's call was in no way bad and doesn't justify resetting the ban. And, maybe more importantly, I don't think the banned-callers-risking-it-all game has gone through all the comedic possibilities yet.

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7288 on: October 09, 2011, 11:47:54 AM »

OUR NEXT PRESIDENT----in 2016.
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7289 on: October 09, 2011, 11:59:40 AM »
Well that was a sudden left turn.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling