Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2900182 times)

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7395 on: October 27, 2011, 02:20:46 PM »
SCRIVENER.

Thanks!  I'll be checking the A.V. Club to see:

"You're no Kumar Pallana." - Omar the Scrivener, assessing Tom Scharpling's plate-spinning skills

+

"If he was any less mobile, he would be a snowman." -- Tom Scharpling on Austin, TX, fixture Harry Knowles
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7396 on: October 28, 2011, 04:28:24 AM »
I'm only half way through the show but I have to say now that the Michael K call is probably the low light of the year so far.  (Excepting anything from the Puppet)

Any caller that wasn't a "name" (and I use that phrase very loosely) wouldn't get that long and would get GOMPd/Heave Ho'd quickly and with a flourish. It makes it worse that his only seeming reason for calling this week was for Tom to talk up his record/tour dates. I couldn't hear any other reason behind the call.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Chrissy in MN

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7397 on: October 28, 2011, 07:41:30 AM »
The Hodgmaniacs hooligans and their post-inhaler bliss.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7398 on: October 28, 2011, 11:35:45 AM »
SCRIVENER.

Thanks!  I'll be checking the A.V. Club to see:

"You're no Kumar Pallana." - Omar the Scrivener, assessing Tom Scharpling's plate-spinning skills

+

"If he was any less mobile, he would be a snowman." -- Tom Scharpling on Austin, TX, fixture Harry Knowles

You had me at European Chortle EP [Roadrunner].
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7399 on: October 28, 2011, 01:01:30 PM »
PAYDIRT

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7400 on: October 28, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »
"Whooping belch."
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

mike_b

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7401 on: October 28, 2011, 03:58:25 PM »
what's better:

Larry D. Perv saying "Monster Mash" or the Australian guy from last week saying "Dump Cop?"

Paydirt!

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7402 on: October 29, 2011, 12:39:51 PM »
what's better:

Larry D. Perv saying "Monster Mash" or the Australian guy from last week saying "Dump Cop?"
"Dump cop" is a testament to how well prepared the caller was, as nobody in Australia calls it a "dump". We call it "the tip". Because... that's where the trucks tip all the rubbish out??

(Also: yes, "rubbish")

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7403 on: October 29, 2011, 12:50:33 PM »
Tom did indeed make the quotes section in the A.V. Club's latest Podmass installment:

“Look out, New York City merchants. Here comes Todd Barry, and his pockets are bulging.” —Tom Scharpling, The Best Show On WFMU

The Best Show made the "Best" section, although they currently have the Best Show Gems logo next to it.  The write-up is incredibly limp. 
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

fletcher munson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7404 on: October 29, 2011, 02:25:27 PM »
"I don't wanna sauce that Mike makes."
veni dixie vici

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7405 on: October 29, 2011, 06:57:37 PM »
Worst: I know I will break a heart, but the caller from D.C. talking about the Wild Flag show... that seemed to take up a third of the show just to get to the part about eating someone's hair in the crowd briefly.  She sounded like a new caller who had a different plan in mind initially, so I'll cut her slack for sure, as I've been there.

Exactly. I, too, had trouble sitting through that story. Tom showed a whole lotta restraint on that one I think.

It was not a great call, but she seemed pretty nervous and I'll happily sit through Tom being nice to a new caller who means well so long as he remains a jerk to the creeps and weirdoes.

Now how Michael K made it as long as he did is beyond me.

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7406 on: October 30, 2011, 01:08:39 AM »
I can't recall anything delighting me before in my life the way Larry requesting "Da Monsta Mash" delighted me.

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7407 on: October 30, 2011, 05:17:03 AM »
''It's like having an extra cup of coffee when all you really wanted was one cup of coffee'' - Todd Barry 2011
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7408 on: October 30, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »
Tom did indeed make the quotes section in the A.V. Club's latest Podmass installment:

“Look out, New York City merchants. Here comes Todd Barry, and his pockets are bulging.” —Tom Scharpling, The Best Show On WFMU

The Best Show made the "Best" section, although they currently have the Best Show Gems logo next to it.  The write-up is incredibly limp.

Podmass is some of the worst writing I've read on the internet lately. I don't think anyone's even looking at the stuff before it goes up. They probably just let the writers stick their shit up there themselves.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7409 on: October 30, 2011, 09:57:19 PM »

Podmass is some of the worst writing I've read on the internet lately. I don't think anyone's even looking at the stuff before it goes up. They probably just let the writers stick their shit up there themselves.

I only enjoy that feature because I'm interested in reading the comments. There are very few places that allow a general and specific conversation about podcasts.