Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2900028 times)

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7410 on: October 30, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »
The Bill Riccio reference surprised and delighted me!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7411 on: October 30, 2011, 10:39:17 PM »
Tom did indeed make the quotes section in the A.V. Club's latest Podmass installment:

“Look out, New York City merchants. Here comes Todd Barry, and his pockets are bulging.” —Tom Scharpling, The Best Show On WFMU

The Best Show made the "Best" section, although they currently have the Best Show Gems logo next to it.  The write-up is incredibly limp.

Podmass is some of the worst writing I've read on the internet lately. I don't think anyone's even looking at the stuff before it goes up. They probably just let the writers stick their shit up there themselves.

I have a hard time doing more than skimming Podmass. I kind of feel like I've reached podcast saturation as it is.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7412 on: October 31, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »
That's true. I rotate in and out of podcasts b/c I haven't been able to keep up with any of the ones I like - I just go and listen to big chunks at a time every handful of months or so.

Splitsider also does a Podcast recap.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

dutch

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7413 on: November 01, 2011, 11:30:09 AM »
Worst: I know I will break a heart, but the caller from D.C. talking about the Wild Flag show... that seemed to take up a third of the show just to get to the part about eating someone's hair in the crowd briefly.  She sounded like a new caller who had a different plan in mind initially, so I'll cut her slack for sure, as I've been there.

Exactly. I, too, had trouble sitting through that story. Tom showed a whole lotta restraint on that one I think.

It was not a great call, but she seemed pretty nervous and I'll happily sit through Tom being nice to a new caller who means well so long as he remains a jerk to the creeps and weirdoes.

Now how Michael K made it as long as he did is beyond me.
Tom is too mean to Michael K IMO, Wild Flag girl's call was the platonic ideal of a long winded story with no point.

dutch

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7414 on: November 01, 2011, 11:32:22 AM »
Is it odd that I like Micheal K's calls?

I love Michael K's Kerouac like attention to detail. I usually love his calls except for this one which was kind of sad.

dutch

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7415 on: November 01, 2011, 11:34:06 AM »
"A few extra rubles never heard nyetone"

I also love these reoccuring topics
- Stephen King hates trees
- Iggy & The Stooges - Skull Ring

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7416 on: November 01, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »

I love Michael K's Kerouac like attention to detail. I usually love his calls except for this one which was kind of sad.

I've always enjoyed Michael K's attention to detail -- he seems to be very knowledgeable about the show and almost always makes a reference to something that happened during the show before his call (e.g., last week he mentioned that he didn't think American Horror Story was that bad.)
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7417 on: November 01, 2011, 01:17:33 PM »

Michael, is this you? Really enjoying Spinning Wheel Motel.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7418 on: November 01, 2011, 01:31:39 PM »
Holy Jesus, I am listening to last week's show and I just fucking lost it over Larry D. Cheever talking about Da Swimmah, dere.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7419 on: November 01, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »
Holy Jesus, I am listening to last week's show and I just fucking lost it over Larry D. Cheever talking about Da Swimmah, dere.

Larry is probably my favorite caller. He and Tom play well off of each other, and I start laughing as soon as he says, "Hello dere, Tom." Tom's "dere" wordplay has been fun as of late.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7420 on: November 01, 2011, 03:52:38 PM »

Larry is probably my favorite caller. He and Tom play well off of each other, and I start laughing as soon as he says, "Hello dere, Tom." Tom's "dere" wordplay has been fun as of late.

'A lot of game show hosts have substance abuse problems, dere'

I'm also a big fan of LDP. There was a classic moment a while back when both Patton Oswalt and Tom were giving LDP the business.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7421 on: November 01, 2011, 08:27:02 PM »
I'm only half way through the show but I have to say now that the Michael K call is probably the low light of the year so far.  (Excepting anything from the Puppet)

ANYTHING from "the Puppet"?  I get people's mixed opinions on "the feltdown", but has it really been THAT bad, all year long?  Seriously, I'm just asking for feedback.  Me and Wally could use it, especially if it's in the form of constructive criticism.  I'm always looking to improve, and when I discuss it on here, an internet forum where I'm free to express myself, it should not just always come off as over-defensive whining or whatever.  This is my creation we're talking about, and I want it/him to be the best he can be.  I am always interested in what others have to say.  Only when it's just pointless lambasting and insulting does it get too far, which I think could be said for anybody and any of their works/creations. 

I should also point out that Wally hasn't been super-involved, so much, making his calls less frequent.  Additionally, the whole Fredericks soundboard thing was within this year, too, right?  If I remember, that went over mostly prety well.  Thanks for hearing me out.

-Zach (Big Z)

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7422 on: November 01, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
THE FLASH VENTS HIS ANGER
SPIKE SHOULD CALL !!!!!
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7423 on: November 02, 2011, 12:09:25 AM »
"Everyone looks cool playing a Steinberger"

Also, looking forward to Spike in studio.
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7424 on: November 02, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
''..prancing over the toilet bowl..''
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/