Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810703 times)

danner

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8265 on: March 22, 2012, 09:59:05 AM »
I remember seeing a full-page ad that Police Academy IV was available on video for $89.99. I had seen it in the theater and it was the first movie I ever walked out of, so the idea that people would pay $89.99 to see it presumably more than once boggled the mind.
Yeah, I remember when The Rocky Horror Picture Show first came out on VHS in 1990 or so and seeing it for sale at a Sam Goody for around $80. Time has been very kind to home video.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8266 on: March 22, 2012, 10:21:48 AM »
Equating it with any kind of true meltdown rings false.

Perhaps that is where the humor lies.  Get it?  *Get* it??

Meltdown, feltdown - those are completely different things...like Margot and Fargo.

Drew D

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8267 on: March 22, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
Jim Belushi plays Glug, the local desert mechanic who gets beaten to death with his own tire iron and has his blood replaced with quaker state 10W-40...and stuff.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8268 on: March 22, 2012, 11:06:58 AM »
I, too, remember fondly the now-insane prices of the Police Academy movies on the shelves of video stores throughout the country. I don't think there is anyone who has watched those movies more than yours truly. I've watched them more than Steve Guttenberg and Commandant Lassard combined. I recently watched the shower scene in Police Academy 3 (where Mauser gets armpit heat and has to walk around a police station naked) in ITALIAN on YouTube.

When I was hosting my comedy show in Philly, I tried to rally the people I performed with to do a tribute to Police Academy. I made introductory entrees into approaching the woman who played the soft-spoken, meek Hooks who always screamed "DON'T MOVE, DIRTBAG" at the end (save for in Police Academy 5: Mission to Miami, when she does it early -- character development!) since she was from Philly originally. But apparently no one in Philly comedy reveres these movies to the extent that I do.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8269 on: March 22, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »
I, too, remember fondly the now-insane prices of the Police Academy movies on the shelves of video stores throughout the country. I don't think there is anyone who has watched those movies more than yours truly. I've watched them more than Steve Guttenberg and Commandant Lassard combined. I recently watched the shower scene in Police Academy 3 (where Mauser gets armpit heat and has to walk around a police station naked) in ITALIAN on YouTube.

When I was hosting my comedy show in Philly, I tried to rally the people I performed with to do a tribute to Police Academy. I made introductory entrees into approaching the woman who played the soft-spoken, meek Hooks who always screamed "DON'T MOVE, DIRTBAG" at the end (save for in Police Academy 5: Mission to Miami, when she does it early -- character development!) since she was from Philly originally. But apparently no one in Philly comedy reveres these movies to the extent that I do.

From memory:

And someday I'm gonna be captain
And ev'ry rookie will go down on his knee
And he'll say "Captain Mau-ser
Yowza yowza"
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh...
[Realizes his hands are stuck] oh... oh...
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8270 on: March 22, 2012, 04:07:08 PM »

Jon From Maplewood BROUGHT IT with the Cosell talk. The thought of him watching kids playing soccer in the background creeps me out beyond belief. I also loved the talk about Woody Paige and Skip Bayless and everyone else responsible for ESPN becoming really worthless.

First of all, thank you for the kind words.  BUT now I realize people got the wrong idea. He was not watching us/me in any creepy way. He was just watching his grandson play soccer. The pain was in me failing to stop one goal out of 30 in front of HOWARD COSELL!
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8271 on: March 22, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
I recently watched the shower scene in Police Academy 3 (where Mauser gets armpit heat and has to walk around a police station naked) in ITALIAN on YouTube.

You watched it RECENTLY, huh?  Well, you should know then that Mauser gets his hands glued to his hair and runs around the station naked, and HARRIS gets the armpit heat in  part 4, ya Police Acadummy!  Also, Lassard has a name, it's George Gaynes!  Show some respect!

-Zach (Big Z/Z-Man/Wally's Human/Whatever Else)

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8272 on: March 22, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »

Larry Sweeney delivered some of the best promos ever. His stuff with Mitch Ryder and Robbie Ellis for Chikara was transcendent. Truly a great artist, athlete, and entertainer.

The bit where he arm wrestles the kid is just awesome.

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8273 on: March 22, 2012, 09:13:09 PM »
''Who'da thunk it!''
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8274 on: March 22, 2012, 09:23:18 PM »
I recently watched the shower scene in Police Academy 3 (where Mauser gets armpit heat and has to walk around a police station naked) in ITALIAN on YouTube.

You watched it RECENTLY, huh?  Well, you should know then that Mauser gets his hands glued to his hair and runs around the station naked, and HARRIS gets the armpit heat in  part 4, ya Police Acadummy!  Also, Lassard has a name, it's George Gaynes!  Show some respect!

-Zach (Big Z/Z-Man/Wally's Human/Whatever Else)

Don't make me hate you.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

vert

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8275 on: March 23, 2012, 03:05:40 AM »
The mental image of an elderly, shirtless, devillocked and gelatinously buff Jerry Only Barking orders at Pudge to do "squat munches" takes the cake(fudge?)!

Chrissy in MN

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8276 on: March 23, 2012, 07:52:36 AM »
Tom' s Celebrity Apprentice rant made me wistful for his recaps. Enjoyed The West Wing talk as well, but I really think Toby Zeiglers breath would be much worse than Josh Lymans.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8277 on: March 23, 2012, 09:25:57 AM »
An excellent case could be made for Toby Ziegler as well... quiet guy, always on a low boil. I feel like Alison Janney's character probably snarfs a tin of breath mints a day, though. 
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Barry in Ireland

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8278 on: March 23, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »
This may be overly obscure, but I can't imagine John Goodman's president fill-in character breathing like an Alpine mint stream.

Chrissy in MN

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8279 on: March 23, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
An excellent case could be made for Toby Ziegler as well... quiet guy, always on a low boil. I feel like Alison Janney's character probably snarfs a tin of breath mints a day, though.

I always imagined Toby's beard to be smoke tinged and his breath to be a mixture of stale whiskey and old cigars. You do make a valid point about Josh, though. Perhaps there was a collective stank on the show that we can't perceive. And now I've spent way too much time on this.