Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810594 times)

cutout

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9510 on: December 10, 2012, 12:27:18 AM »
Folks like this go to events, meetings, join groups with the apparent purpose of talking about an issue that's important to them, whether or not it's germane. Their real goal is to either split the group or create so much chaos that folks just throw up their hands and walk away. They do this to eliminate competition or just tear other people down because they're not on the approved program.

Local organic food coop meetings are a classic forum for this!

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9511 on: December 10, 2012, 04:25:36 AM »
Last kid I heard that talked like Z*** was AJ Soprano and (*spoiler alert*) I hope that if Zach jumps in a pool his daddy doesn't come home in time.

You killed the show dickwad, thanks for that.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Ojingeo

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9512 on: December 10, 2012, 07:07:49 AM »
Two dudes decided to smear their grubby thumbprints up on masterpiece.
I can hear you judging me.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9513 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:29 AM »
Two dudes decided to smear their grubby thumbprints up on masterpiece.

Did Marc Maron start that trend?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

roman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9514 on: December 10, 2012, 10:28:23 AM »
I'm actually surprised that they've let that twerp from Mfejfpofwjepr get away with this for as long as he has.  His goal has been self-promotion and running the show off the rails since the beginning.  Tom and/or Mike should have put a stop to this a long time ago.  He's been a tumor on the show since he started calling.  Good riddance.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9515 on: December 10, 2012, 11:11:49 AM »
I've been meaning to post for awhile on the Gar from Flesh call.

Many of you probably picked up on it, but for those that didn't, I think this was the Newbridgiverse's most complete homage (if that's the right word) ever - even when they've used people from real life like Marky Ramone or Gene Simmons.

JW posted a bunch of stuff elsewhere about how amazing the Peter Criss autobiography was.  Gar's book was a pretty straight-up parody (again, if that's the right word) of Peter Criss' time in KISS and the acting world and rehab. 

For example, Gar and Peter were both allowed to sing a few songs that they didn't write on their bands first few albums, both of them threatened to quit if they didn't get a song on the next album (Ruiner for Gar, Destroyer for Peter) and they scored a surprise hit with that song (Beth for Peter, Maureen for Gar).

It continues, right down to how the bands came up with their names, the reunion tours, everything.  JW is a reluctant KISS scholar.

I could go on at (further) length, but I won't. Probably everyone picked up on it and I'm just Professor John Frink-ing this.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9516 on: December 10, 2012, 01:53:33 PM »
Best: Gene Krupa of getting drunk; "Worst" (not really): did TS ever come back to discussing LZ on Letterman? I couldn't watch it, something about it felt very stilted and awkward

Yeah, I was hoping Tom would find time for the Letterman and Lincoln Center appearances. Too bad the show got derailed. Glad he got too talk about Dolenz and the Monkees, at least.

Zeppelin were obviously an amazing band, but they're not always so great at ... talking. Robert Plant is a good nominee for least funny person ever. He's got the genial spirit and delivery of a funny person, but a lot of the stuff that comes out of his mouth makes no sense whatsoever. He was infamous for his stoned hippie babble between songs during Zeppelin's 1970s reign (numerous examples can be found on concert bootlegs).
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9517 on: December 10, 2012, 02:04:10 PM »
Best: Gene Krupa of getting drunk; "Worst" (not really): did TS ever come back to discussing LZ on Letterman? I couldn't watch it, something about it felt very stilted and awkward

Yeah, I was hoping Tom would find time for the Letterman and Lincoln Center appearances. Too bad the show got derailed. Glad he got too talk about Dolenz and the Monkees, at least.

Zeppelin were obviously an amazing band, but they're not always so great at ... talking. Robert Plant is a good nominee for least funny person ever. He's got the genial spirit and delivery of a funny person, but a lot of the stuff that comes out of his mouth makes no sense whatsoever. He was infamous for his stoned hippie babble between songs during Zeppelin's 1970s reign (numerous examples can be found on concert bootlegs).

"Does anybody remember laffduh?"

Does Anybody Remember Laughter?

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9518 on: December 10, 2012, 02:34:42 PM »

Many of you probably picked up on it, but for those that didn't, I think this was the Newbridgiverse's most complete homage (if that's the right word) ever - even when they've used people from real life like Marky Ramone or Gene Simmons.

JW posted a bunch of stuff elsewhere about how amazing the Peter Criss autobiography was.  Gar's book was a pretty straight-up parody (again, if that's the right word) of Peter Criss' time in KISS and the acting world and rehab. 

For example, Gar and Peter were both allowed to sing a few songs that they didn't write on their bands first few albums, both of them threatened to quit if they didn't get a song on the next album (Ruiner for Gar, Destroyer for Peter) and they scored a surprise hit with that song (Beth for Peter, Maureen for Gar).

It continues, right down to how the bands came up with their names, the reunion tours, everything.  JW is a reluctant KISS scholar.

I could go on at (further) length, but I won't. Probably everyone picked up on it and I'm just Professor John Frink-ing this.

Peter Criss had a sitcom??

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9519 on: December 10, 2012, 03:41:54 PM »

Peter Criss had a sitcom??

He was stunt-cast in Oz.  That's sort of a sitcom, right?  Lots of laughs?

Also, check out the picture on his IMDB page.  Didn't he have to pay for that?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0188028/

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9520 on: December 10, 2012, 04:49:52 PM »
The best/worst moment for me was Tom complaining about the new version of iTunes, because I had just gone through that exact experience that day: trying to do something simple, and no longer knowing how to do it.

(Strangely enough, I was trying to put a bunch of songs onto my Amish brother-in-law's contraband ipod touch. True!)

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9521 on: December 10, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »

But doesn't funding Holy Grail kind of make up for it?

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9522 on: December 10, 2012, 07:39:14 PM »
I feel sort of responsible for Zach. My trash talk of him put an unfortunate spotlight on him. However, I do think it's pretty likely that he would have been a pest no matter what.

Anyways, he's been a good foil for Tom for a while now. He's to The Best Show what The Jesus Twins were (and Eric the Midget is) to Howard Stern. We all love the Bad Company's and the Drop Dead's the Heave Ho's. If the calls are all Jason From Huntsville and Paycheck, we don't have that. Tom browbeating Zach provided The Best Show audience with a ton of great material for a while.

Unfortunately, Zach's not in on the joke and is actually that annoying. It ran its course -- he went from "love to hate" to actual hate and it was time for his relationship with the show to end.

I do think the prattling uber-lefty using his views to push his dumb record would make for a great Wurster call.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9523 on: December 10, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »

But doesn't funding Holy Grail kind of make up for it?

pretty sure that's George Harrison

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9524 on: December 10, 2012, 08:37:20 PM »
I feel somewhat responsible for the whole Mit Hamine nonsense since I called that kid out ages ago. He probably would have still kept on keeping on but we'll never know.

Anyways, Zach did play a great foil for Tom for a while. One of the best parts about Howard Stern are when he has guests and personalities who he can battle with -- The Jesus Twins, Eric the Midget. Tom's also talked about his "love" of Bob Grant, who was pretty much the first right-wing radio guy and had a longtime show in the NYC market. Bob used to rip the hell out of callers non-stop and it used to get really combative and crazy. IMO, Zach was essentially like that for The Best Show for a little bit. Tom putting up with him has led to so many really funny moments -- Tom threatening to break his record with a hammer, etc.

But his shtick has a limited shelf life and he went from being "I love to hate this guy" to "I hate this guy" really quickly. The whole "Using far-left causes in order to shill 7-inches" thing could be a Wurster call (it's not too far away from Hammerhead) but it's completely repugnant since that's this kid's real deal.

As far as the last call -- that guy was just a dumb dumb. That was infuriating.

I feel sort of responsible for Zach. My trash talk of him put an unfortunate spotlight on him. However, I do think it's pretty likely that he would have been a pest no matter what.

Anyways, he's been a good foil for Tom for a while now. He's to The Best Show what The Jesus Twins were (and Eric the Midget is) to Howard Stern. We all love the Bad Company's and the Drop Dead's the Heave Ho's. If the calls are all Jason From Huntsville and Paycheck, we don't have that. Tom browbeating Zach provided The Best Show audience with a ton of great material for a while.

Unfortunately, Zach's not in on the joke and is actually that annoying. It ran its course -- he went from "love to hate" to actual hate and it was time for his relationship with the show to end.

I do think the prattling uber-lefty using his views to push his dumb record would make for a great Wurster call.

I wonder if the Greggulator feels any sense of responsibility for Zach's blossoming into a major Best Show supervillain.