Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810678 times)

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10530 on: November 01, 2013, 11:47:25 PM »
I think we should all be a little less Sammy Maudlin and more Lopez Tonight these last 7 weeks. "It's a party!"

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10531 on: November 02, 2013, 11:04:50 AM »
I think we should all be a little less Sammy Maudlin and more Lopez Tonight these last 7 weeks. "It's a party!"

Yes! In a similar vein to Tom's admission that the worst thing about Lou Reed's death was that he couldn't buy that box set without feeling like a jerk, I worry that the remaining run of the show will be dominated by boring callers who call in with their (justified!) salutes to Tom and TBSOWFMU but who have nothing else to say.

Kevin from Pittsburgh

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10532 on: November 02, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »
In the spirit of celebrating and not mourning, Please Please Please let's hear from:

The Party Doctor
Cliff Petterson
The Gorch
Skag Winesack
The Creature
Wally Wackiman and Skeevy
Marky Ramone

And Woodsy, for the love of all that is holy!  Woodsy!
Does anybody have the new issue of Wizard?  Mike is getting his issue of Wizard from his bag.

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10533 on: November 02, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »

Yes.

I'm gonna wait until December 17 to get out my cryin' rag.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

spamheat

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10534 on: November 03, 2013, 10:06:38 PM »
Anyone know the details for the Lou Reed radio performance played at the beginning of the episode?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10535 on: November 03, 2013, 11:50:09 PM »
Anyone know the details for the Lou Reed radio performance played at the beginning of the episode?

Pretty great, right? It's from a show he did in 1972, a month after Transformer was released, in Hempstead, Long Island. Featuring The Tots ("Some of the ugliest cretins ever assembled on one stage"--Lester Bangs). Apparently, as Tom mentioned, it was kinda semi-officially released much later as American Poet, but since it was broadcast on FM it had been widely bootlegged before that. I have it, minus the interview segments, as a bootleg CD called Despite All the Amputations, but the whole thing is pretty available--Google and you shall find. Much as I love the Rock 'n Roll Animal, I treasure this recording because the performances are full of life and spirit and the rapport with the audience seems very warm and genuine.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10536 on: November 04, 2013, 11:41:55 AM »

Pretty great, right? It's from a show he did in 1972, a month after Transformer was released, in Hempstead, Long Island. Featuring The Tots ("Some of the ugliest cretins ever assembled on one stage"--Lester Bangs). Apparently, as Tom mentioned, it was kinda semi-officially released much later as American Poet, but since it was broadcast on FM it had been widely bootlegged before that. I have it, minus the interview segments, as a bootleg CD called Despite All the Amputations, but the whole thing is pretty available--Google and you shall find. Much as I love the Rock 'n Roll Animal, I treasure this recording because the performances are full of life and spirit and the rapport with the audience seems very warm and genuine.

This looks like it.

Lou Reed 12-26-72 Complete Show

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10537 on: November 04, 2013, 10:56:35 PM »
If I had my way, we would hear one last time from Pudge, but I know there are too many characters to hope to hear from all of them. And stuff.

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10538 on: November 04, 2013, 11:47:53 PM »
I'm hoping we can hear one last time from Chuck in the Truck. Aside from LDP, Spike, and John from Illinois, he leaves the most striking impression on my mind, as far as callers go.
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

spamheat

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10539 on: November 05, 2013, 11:08:13 AM »

Thank you! Pretty great indeed. Some of the best I have heard those songs. If Tom mentioned American Poet and I missed it I apologize. Can't wait for tonight's show.

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10540 on: November 05, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »
Last week's episode was one of the best in recent memory, apart from the sad announcement at the end, perhaps the best episode ever. I generally skipped through the sound collages but the last one was so good I let it run. Did Tom make the music on it as well? I wonder if he's using Ableton Live, because it really sounded all synched up and great and touching. I was even thinking that everyone on here would be raving about it.

Then came the tough love.
"Is this me?"

snogrog

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10541 on: November 06, 2013, 12:14:55 AM »
"Your delivery makes Carnac sound like Daniel Day Lewis!"
He's this soulless bastard from Siberia. I once saw him shove Fred Savage's face in a toilet.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10542 on: November 06, 2013, 04:44:34 AM »
I'm hoping we can hear one last time from Chuck in the Truck. Aside from LDP, Spike, and John from Illinois, he leaves the most striking impression on my mind, as far as callers go.

What about pastor Josh, and who was the kid that was overly mannered and always called from a seal tight car parked in his  garage?

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10543 on: November 06, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »

Did you know that there is a different Chuck in the Truck who calls Shut Up Weirdo sometimes?

Also, no "I hope so and so calls in" list would be complete without the Maple Syrup Mussolini finally giving us his book report on Moby Dick.

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10544 on: November 06, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »
Wasn't Ulysses the book MSM was supposed to read?
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?