Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818933 times)

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #11370 on: May 29, 2015, 06:22:50 PM »
I'm curious as to if this is a long-time or recent fan. If he listened to Tom for more than a few minutes, there's no way he could ever think Tom would consider this as cute.

This is what I meant by a new kind of listener who might not have listened before but read some of the recent articles and are like, "why not? i'll call in" If more people are listening, that's good news. But what Tom described as [parphrasing] a long string of entitled, clueless white guys that called in last week could become the norm

I don't know why everyone is acting like this is some new thing. Have you listened to the bulk of the show's history? When it was on the radio, any dink off the street who happened to have the radio tuned to FMU could call in. For every interesting weirdo or funny fan there's hundreds of dumbies. Hell, the 40 something dork who wants a cool kid is the demographic of probably 80 percent of WFMU's listenership. I've heard countless goons who think they know what Tom's deal is or what he'll think is funny or cool call in. It's part of the fabric of what makes the show so great in my opinion, hearing Tom dress down a guy like the mattress dick is the best. Think of it this way, do you like Bad Companying? how about GOMPing? thank, the boring clueless dudes. If you want one big party with all perfect calls I think you're listening to the wrong show.

I've been a listener for 7 or 8 years and have listened through the whole run almost twice.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11371 on: May 29, 2015, 06:26:19 PM »
I'm curious as to if this is a long-time or recent fan. If he listened to Tom for more than a few minutes, there's no way he could ever think Tom would consider this as cute.

This is what I meant by a new kind of listener who might not have listened before but read some of the recent articles and are like, "why not? i'll call in" If more people are listening, that's good news. But what Tom described as [parphrasing] a long string of entitled, clueless white guys that called in last week could become the norm

I don't know why everyone is acting like this is some new thing. Have you listened to the bulk of the show's history? When it was on the radio, any dink off the street who happened to have the radio tuned to FMU could call in. For every interesting weirdo or funny fan there's hundreds of dumbies. Hell, the 40 something dork who wants a cool kid is the demographic of probably 80 percent of WFMU's listenership. I've heard countless goons who think they know what Tom's deal is or what he'll think is funny or cool call in. It's part of the fabric of what makes the show so great in my opinion, hearing Tom dress down a guy like the mattress dick is the best. Think of it this way, do you like Bad Companying? how about GOMPing? thank, the boring clueless dudes. If you want one big party with all perfect calls I think you're listening to the wrong show.

I've been a listener for 7 or 8 years and have listened through the whole run almost twice.

sorry, if I came off as elitist or something, that wasn't my intention, I was asking rhetorically.  I just was saying that the show has always had bad callers, and I think that's one of the things that makes the show so great.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11372 on: May 29, 2015, 06:45:50 PM »

sorry, if I came off as elitist or something, that wasn't my intention, I was asking rhetorically.  I just was saying that the show has always had bad callers, and I think that's one of the things that makes the show so great.

That's alright, man, no offense taken. No one loves a GOMP or a Bad Company more than I do. I meant the kinds of calls where after a few Tom exasperatedly asks Mike for some female callers. But Tom spins gold from all kind of floss so it's all good. I'll admit my grumpiness probably made me post about it more than necessary!

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11373 on: May 29, 2015, 06:53:34 PM »
Think of it this way, do you like Bad Companying? how about GOMPing? thank, the boring clueless dudes.
Speaking of, I was so certain Tom was going to BC the guy who was worried about his three-year-old's tastes in entertainment that I actually thought I heard Bad Company fade in a couple times. I liked how Tom dealt with it, but it seemed like the perfect candidate when the call was in progress.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11374 on: May 29, 2015, 07:08:31 PM »

That's alright, man, no offense taken. No one loves a GOMP or a Bad Company more than I do. I meant the kinds of calls where after a few Tom exasperatedly asks Mike for some female callers. But Tom spins gold from all kind of floss so it's all good. I'll admit my grumpiness probably made me post about it more than necessary!

I hear ya, I probably came on kinda strong too, maybe I'm defensive because I've been one of the flop sweat drenched flame outs so many times over the years lol
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11375 on: May 29, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
I also heard BC faintly but it seems he decided give the guy some more rope

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11376 on: May 29, 2015, 07:10:59 PM »
Anyone who has the guts to call is a priori superior to chickens like me who would never ever call!

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11377 on: May 30, 2015, 03:41:50 AM »
Anyone who has the guts to call is a priori superior to chickens like me who would never ever call!

The difference between you and some of the people who get GOMPed are that you are a true fan, and they're just in it for a momentary diversion or trolling. The guy who claimed he cared about his 4-year-old's taste was trolling, while the guy from Texas was being Mr. Entitled. Mattress Man was on another planet; seriously, that call sounded like a Brad Carter prank call setup from seven years ago. The chatroom immediately turned on that guy when he called it "cute vandalism" and I didn't help by making jokes about "less cute vandalism" being "a flaming Batman logo on a bridge." Mattress Man was like James Arness as The Thing; couldn't be reasoned with, numb, put down by the electricity of the moment.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11378 on: May 30, 2015, 12:18:26 PM »
Being a gentleman of a certain age, I was crying paroyxsmically throughout Tom's Willy Tanner impressions.

Max Wright, like Robert Reed before him, always thought that he was too good to play a sitcom father and that his career had been less than it should have been because of it. Very few actors wouldn't trade their own careers for even one multi-year run on a dumb sitcom. Although I have heard terrible things about the behavior of ALF's puppeteer.

A fellow FOT reminded me that both the creator of ALF (Permanent Midnight) and Max Wright later fell under the spell of one of the White Ladies. It was apparently rough going.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11379 on: May 30, 2015, 02:16:52 PM »
In defense of Todd Glass, he's dyslexic and has talked on his podcast a lot about his issues with reading and writing. I know he had a ghost writer for the book so maybe the publisher decided it was to much of a hassle to have him actually read it or more than likely he was just embarrassed to try. I'll admit it is very weird that they decided to go forward with an audio book anyway but I think he would've done it if he could've.

Yeah, he says he's literally never read a book in his life so... even though it is written in his unique voice  I wouldn't give him a hard time for not doing the audio book since I don't know what exactly it entails. Aside from actually reading the book of course.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11380 on: May 30, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »
"Nobody owns ALF!"

bigginsjp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11381 on: May 30, 2015, 03:03:10 PM »
"If I've got stock in Bisquick, I'm losing my shirt right now!"

Made me laugh out loud.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11382 on: June 01, 2015, 08:42:17 PM »
Re: YouTube commenters -- I'd be more concerned if you DIDN'T have haters there.  YouTube haters = quite a number of people watching the clip who appreciate it.  A lot of sad people's livelihoods are being mean on YouTube.  I would never take them personally.

I got an e-mail with this notification:
Matthew Siti
Pretty lame video. Remember the time you cried on the air?

But the comment doesn't show up, now, so I guess the coward couldn't even stand his ground as a lame YouTube hater.

-Zach

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11383 on: June 01, 2015, 08:54:22 PM »
Re: YouTube commenters -- I'd be more concerned if you DIDN'T have haters there.  YouTube haters = quite a number of people watching the clip who appreciate it.  A lot of sad people's livelihoods are being mean on YouTube.  I would never take them personally.

Matthew Siti

But the comment doesn't show up, now, so I guess the coward couldn't even stand his ground as a lame YouTube hater.

-Zach

"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11384 on: June 01, 2015, 09:17:45 PM »

Matthew Siti

-Zach

I think I can see the factory-wrapping still on.

-Zach