Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2900280 times)

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #11625 on: August 20, 2015, 06:36:11 PM »
I stand by my belief that Burt Young is a hilarious joke answer to the topic and I'm pretty sure either Paul or Rob agreed because one of them laughed at it.

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11626 on: August 22, 2015, 01:51:20 AM »
Praise Him. Big W

Also, regarding the topic, I honestly couldn't think of a funny answer,  I'm THAT big of a Whovian. Yeah, I said it.
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!

SWANK MAN

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11627 on: August 23, 2015, 01:11:19 PM »
paul and rob having the full Oceanside experience(being robbed).  i lived in an apartment there near the train station until i was 7.  a sketchy town indeed.  my dad was robbed at gun point 3 separate times while taking the trash to the dumpster in the alley.   my friends on our street all sold weed(prob. worse) for their horrible parents and were always stealing my toys :/ now i learn that Oceanside stole the script for the human giant movie! CURSE YOU OCEANSIDE!!!*shakes fist*    .....but Johnny Mananas is there so all is forgiven.

paul-"it sounds like the biggest dirtbag town of all time."  lol

kouzie

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11628 on: August 24, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
Call from Mikey in Southwest Newbridge

Bands at FuzzFest `15
The Flaming Wimpers
Pizza Explosion
Fat Lisa and the Bible Stealers
Jinx Patrol
Uptight Middle Children
Los Stinkers
Face on Fire
Dumpcakes
Stromboli
David Miscavige and the Miscarriages
Arabian Necktie Sound System
The Dirt Clods
Electric Penmanship
Telephone Meatballs
Store Bought Mayhem
Schindler’s Lust
Skunk Baxturd
The Air Conditioning Eunuchs
Larry and the Panty Magicians
Sexaphone
Turdbag Jump Shot**
Dr. Marble Face
Embryonic Rickshaw
The Einstein Mutants
Hamburger Helter Skelter
Goldie’s Haunches
Ricky and the Flesh
Poppa John Smurf
Hi-ddly Ho Neighbor

Garage Rock Ventriloquist acts
Garagio and Rocky (the Midwest’s Best Garage Rock Ventriloquist act)
Freddy and the Trashman
Gory and Mort
Sky and the Saxon

Panels at FuzzFest
How to Survive as a Musician from 1969 in 2015
Is the Boss FZ2 the Heaviest Fuzzbox of All-Time
Measure Twice and Cut Once: The Quest for the Perfect Bowl Cut
My Camel Hair Vest is Itchy
Step Up to the Mic, Stacks: Guessing Your Record Reviewed in Ugly Thing Magazine**
Garage Yoga and Fuzz Meditation

First to:
Saying yolo
Eating candy bars with utensils
Calling guys bro-ham
Having a podcast
Wearing crocs
Using paper plates for Frisbees
Using hashtags
Using the phrase “fourth meal”
Doing a mic drop
Not wearing crocs
Doing a mic pick up
Wearing baggy jeans
Saying “who’s your daddy?”
Wearing tight jeans
Spraying Faygo
Liking Pet Sounds
Cleaning up Faygo
Saying things suck
Putting that picture of the peeing kid on your window
Saying things rule

**not completely sure these are correct

Flat1ander

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11629 on: August 25, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »
Is it just me or did Tom briefly refer to the best show as a tent pole show? He didn't go too deep into it but god was I hoping he would.

bigginsjp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11630 on: August 25, 2015, 01:48:22 PM »
Rob Heubel starting to give out his "credit card" number over the air

(or, runner up)

Tom reminding Rob and Paul that they haven't mentioned the fact that they live in Los Angeles enough.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11631 on: August 26, 2015, 01:13:06 AM »
I posted part of this on the chat, but here is Vulture's Bill Wyman (not the Rolling Stones bassist) cold sketch of Peter Grant from Number 71 ("Hats of to (Roy) Harper"),  "All 74 Led Zeppelin Songs, Ranked From Worst to Best":

.....Grant is an interesting case. He is a member of an important trio, along with Dylan manager Albert Grossman and David Geffen — the people who foresaw big, big money in the rock game and took steps to get as much of it as possible for their clients. The bands deserved their money, of course, but by all accounts Grant was a brute not above hiring gangsters, beating up kids he caught taping concerts, and the like. And, of course, his role in the Oakland incident is beyond the pale. (The account in the Bill Graham oral history is sickening.) Towering sweetmeats like Robert Plant aside, the world of hard rock was not known for its handsome participants. Even by metal standards, Grant looked a fright; he was an enormous blob of a man adorned with a thatch of grotesque facial hair that looked like it had been transplanted from the butt of a mangy hyena. And he spoke like one of the unintelligible supporting characters in a Guy Ritchie movie. Still, he loved Page and his band uncritically, and can be said to have remade the music business in his career. Grant died in 1995 of a heart attack, one of those rare people whose death gives the net humanity of the world a solid uptick.

And here is the Oakland incident (plus a pointless slam at John Bonham):

74. "Moby Dick," Led Zeppelin II. Ginger Baker of Cream pioneered the idea of the heavy, heavy drum solo; Zeppelin's unmercifully hard pounder, the semihuman John Bonham, followed suit. You want to call Bonham a psychopath, but that's almost too romanticized a word for his psyche. This is a guy whose sense of humor ran to taking a dump in a groupie's purse when she wasn't looking, such an alcoholic that he was known for drinking himself senseless and then urinating where he sat, notably on planes. Those are the sorts of stories told fondly by his "friends," like the band's longtime road manager, Richard Cole, in his memoir; from others, words like abominable, lout, and fuckhead come up. Anyway, Bonham's hard, hard, hard pounding and his surprisingly swinging attack characterized Zep's sound, and Page and various engineers in the studio found just the right dry but very broad way to record it. This grinding workout was stuck on the second album as a souvenir of the times; onstage, when Bonham would embark on an extended drum workout to give fans, their senses' benumbed, a chance to catch their bearings; and, now and again, for the other three members to get a group blow job backstage from a willing female fan. Docked 30 or so notches for Bonham's role in an infamous on-tour incident at Oakland, California, in 1979. A stagehand for Bill Graham had stopped manager Peter Grant's son from ripping backstage signs down. In retaliation, Grant and a few other thugs in the band's employ trapped the guy in a trailer and beat the holy shit out of him. Years of legal wrangling followed this deliberate and vicious assault. A footnote to the story is that Bonham had gone to the guy first — and kicked him in the balls without warning.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11632 on: August 26, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »
The last caller Emily, "The Lady Peeper", told a story about a child she had to bring to the lost room at Disneyland where she kept referring to the lost child as "it".  "I found 'it' crying."  Tom's reaction reminded me of that Monty Python bit "The Knights Who Say 'Nee'"  "I said 'it'. There I said 'it' again!"

And Shuggy's call was great.  Love the gasps.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11633 on: August 29, 2015, 12:44:03 AM »
Gary talking to Mike about yogurt killed me.

mackro

« Reply #11634 on: September 02, 2015, 12:57:09 PM »
I really really dug the Anthony Bedard/Jack Boulware/Danny Plotnick interview with Tom -- and then the alternate universe Tom-on-the-phone second half of the show!

Granted, I'm more of a music/zine guy than a film/TV guy, and this week's show was definitely heavier on the former... and I'm in the minority here on that, so of course I loved this episode.  But all three got along with Tom excellently.  I loved the Anton LaVey story, and the Stooges Wax Museum story, among many others. I missed the 2006/2007 era of the Best Show, so it was nice to catch up on how the Best Show Theme contest played out, and to hear it from the lead Theme Weaver's perspective.

Tom on the phone was great... it was like one of those "everything's opposite!" episodes, and I loved how Tom would bust the beans of Dudio and Mike even on the phone.  My favorite part of that was Tom's a cappella BadCo-ing of another call. (Sorry Adam.)  This is a no-brainer to say, but Tom is hilarious no matter how he's being beamed into the studio.

This week's show does remind me I kinda miss the more music/zine/comic based guests on the show, although I understand interviewing film/TV celebrities is what helps the Best Show the most, for obvious reasons.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11635 on: September 02, 2015, 02:37:24 PM »
Tom humming "Bad Company" during that one call was hilarious.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #11636 on: September 02, 2015, 04:49:30 PM »
A few years ago The Comics Journal ran an in-depth piece about Motorbooty. It's an extremely worthwhile read and a nice companion to discussions during last night's show.

http://www.tcj.com/motorbooty-the-better-magazine/

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11637 on: September 03, 2015, 04:52:39 AM »
Snake Oil still lives, sorta....

http://snakeoilblog.blogspot.com/

The post where they talk about the original magazine: http://snakeoilblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/old-snake-oil-zine.html

Something that has nothing to do with Snake Oil:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx7QVnHF7EY

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11638 on: September 03, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »
If Tom ever does have a chance to talk to Patti Smith again, I bet she won't even remember the Humble Pie incident.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11639 on: September 03, 2015, 09:26:05 PM »
If Tom ever does have a chance to talk to Patti Smith again, I bet she won't even remember the Humble Pie incident.
Maybe she'll apologize for playing dumb.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."