Author Topic: Comedy Central's Roast of Bob Saget  (Read 12133 times)

jbissell

• Space Champion!
Comedy Central's Roast of Bob Saget
« on: August 04, 2008, 06:36:40 PM »
You can follow all the action here:
http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/cc_insider/the_comedy_central_roast_of_bob_saget/index.html

Roastmaster: John Stamos

But where the hell is Dave Coulier?

I'm hoping for a full rundown from Tom after this airs.

chrisfoll577

Re: Comedy Central's Roast of Bob Saget
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 07:36:58 PM »
The Dais List:

Susie Essman
Greg Giraldo
Artie Lange
Tracy Morgan
Jeffrey Ross
Gilbert Gottfried
Jon Lovitz
Norm Macdonald
Jim Norton
Scott Bakula
Greg Behrendt
Alonzo Bodden
Andrew Dice Clay
Chris Fairbanks
Jennifer Finnigan
Rex Lee
Lori Loughlin
Kathleen Madigan
Wendi McLendon-Covey
Brian Posehn
Paul Provenza
Jonathan Silverman
Jodi Sweetin

This last name creeps me out to no end... I can only imagine the more tasteless than usual jokes that are going to be thrown aound at this horrorshow.

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
The people who get roasted at these things are always horrible, but I'll still turn in to see people like Patton be funny.

This one looks especially bad though. Saget's a horrible choice for a roast (they've usually stuck to roasting veteran comedians or B-list celebrities) It doesn't help that they ripped off those Tourette's Guys clips for promo ads on Comedy Central where people are shouting "SAGET" like a swear word.

noise.light

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 11:32:36 PM »
The Dais List:

Susie Essman
Greg Giraldo
Artie Lange
Tracy Morgan
Jeffrey Ross
Gilbert Gottfried
Jon Lovitz
Norm Macdonald
Jim Norton
Scott Bakula
Greg Behrendt
Alonzo Bodden
Andrew Dice Clay
Chris Fairbanks
Jennifer Finnigan
Rex Lee
Lori Loughlin
Kathleen Madigan
Wendi McLendon-Covey
Brian Posehn
Paul Provenza
Jonathan Silverman
Jodi Sweetin

This last name creeps me out to no end... I can only imagine the more tasteless than usual jokes that are going to be thrown aound at this horrorshow.

Ugh!  I just realized who that is.  There is no way that I'll be able to stay away from this (you put it best) horror show.

But, Scott Bakula?!?  Why?  Seems totally random. 

erechoveraker

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 12:14:05 AM »
Wow I am suddenly really excited to see this, given that list. Horror show indeed, with some goodness sprinkled in, but mostly the horror.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 02:13:47 AM »
I remember hearing that Joe D. Sweeten had turned heavily to the meth pipe at some point in her life, so I think she'll manage a night of dick jokes ok. Now if they invite Candace Cameron and call her a c**t*, I'll watch. How Tracy Morgan and Brian Posehn got talked into this, I cannot comprehend.

* Those asterisks denote my respect for you.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 02:22:06 AM »
How Tracy Morgan and Brian Posehn got talked into this, I cannot comprehend.

I was mostly shocked that Jonathan Silverman was available.

chrisfoll577

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 06:14:51 AM »
I remember hearing that Joe D. Sweeten had turned heavily to the meth pipe at some point in her life, so I think she'll manage a night of dick jokes ok.

I'm more worried about jokes pushing the boundaries of taste with regard to her when she was on Full House... along with the obligatory Olsen twin jokes. 

When I was 8 I liked Full House a lot. Of course now I recognize it as sappy drivel, but I guess it meant the beginning of the weekend etc. to a little kid... but this flogging of how the man behind Danny Tanner swears a lot now goes way beyond the common complaint of ruining one's childhood pop culture touchstones.

This roast is either going to perpetuate the whole 'Isn't it funny that Bob Saget has a filthy mouth?' gag to the few dozen people who don't know it already or it will result in a D-list star supernova where everyone in America finally decides not to give a crap about him and the rest of the Full House cast anymore.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 06:25:52 AM »
No Lisa Lampanelli? I thought she existed solely to participate in these things.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Satchmo Mask

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 06:40:15 AM »
No Lisa Lampanelli? I thought she existed solely to participate in these things.

She's busy berating LL Cool J in between Date My Mom and Parental Control.
"I LOVE HONEY BUNCHES AND OATS,BUT THE LAST THREE TIMES I WAS EATING IT,T EXSPIRIENCED SEVERE ABDOMINAL PAIN AND ACID REFLEX PROBLEMS.SO THIS CEREAL IS OF MY GROCERY LIST" - Monika54

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 07:44:06 AM »
When I was 8 I liked Full House a lot. Of course now I recognize it as sappy drivel, but I guess it meant the beginning of the weekend etc. to a little kid...

True story: I was staying the night at a friends house the night TGIF! premiered, because that kind of thing was a very big deal to my friend and I at that time (I was in mid grade school). About 3 minutes in to the pilot of Full House, my parents called to let me know my grampy died and that we were leaving first thing in the morning for the funeral in Sag Harbor.

While I was waiting to get picked up, I just sat there and watched the show with this super uncomfortable family, just sort of in shock because he was the first close person I knew to die. Because of that I've always associated that show with the horrible, awkward feeling that surrounds death, which probably isn't too far off what everyone else associates it with, now that I think about it.

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 08:51:05 AM »
She has a HBO pilot that she is working on. (true story)

There are 5-7 people on that list that are generally funny and a few that are fun to watch roast people, for a Comedy Central roast thats a great ratio.  I watch highlight clips of these roasts and always enjoy them. I'd watch more but it gets a little boring to hear so many jokes that are 'I haven't seen this many ____ since ____'.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 09:46:29 AM »
I'm predicting the pinnacle achievement of this roast will be the long awaited Gottfried/Saget "The Aristocrats" comedy battle.

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 09:48:47 AM »
How did Stamos not bring in Mike Love for this? He'd alienate everybody in the room, then sue most of them, and the second someone made a captain's hat joke, we'd have an all-out brawl.
This may be the year I will disappear.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 01:22:47 PM »
I'm predicting the pinnacle achievement of this roast will be the long awaited Gottfried/Saget "The Aristocrats" comedy battle.

I thought the same thing. If there's a reprise of these performances, that could take up half the show, but can Comedy Central do that kind of material?  I really don't know the answer.

I love a good roast, apparently regardless of who's being roasted.  I made it all the way through the Pam Anderson roast, an event built around someone I don't care about at all.

Some of the names on the dais list are completely puzzling, maybe making the show somewhat interesting.