Author Topic: Re. Starbucks, by way of explanation...  (Read 6569 times)

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Re. Starbucks, by way of explanation...
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 10:10:50 AM »
I thought you were for the working man, I guess success changed you.

You don't get to be "Rockstar" by going to Dunking Doughnuts.
"Dad gets mad."

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »
I refer to Starbucks coffee sizes with the following terms:

fart                               
shart                           
twenty minute deuce     

Farewell, Fotchan.   

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 10:27:43 AM »
When I used to barista I found that people who "came up" in Starbucks didn't know how to order coffee in a regular cafe. I can't remember anything specific, but I think macchiato's were a big confusion point. Plus they were always shocked that whipped cream and chocolate didn't come with everything.

I hate the jargon nazis though either way.

This is totally true.  Starbucks has a macchiato that's a completely different drink than the rest of the planet's macchiato.  I don't remember what either of them are anymore, except that the Starbuck's version is like some child's fantasy of a fancy coffee drink; it's like a half inch of caffeinated beverage and two inches of whipped cream and caramel or some such nonsense.  It's like some sick joke they played on the rest of the world's barristas, to have people come in and get mad at them for not having the Starbucks menu. 

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 10:45:40 AM »
I'm a jargon enforcer when there is genuine ambiguity as to what exactly you are talking about.

Another sizing issue is that number of shots of espresso in a drink needs to be an entirely separate metric than the total amount of liquid.  You should have to specify both for each order.

The other issue is that most coffee drinks totally stink and are pointless.

Another knock against the Adbusters crowd:  You can talk smack about Starbucks or Barnes and Nobles, but my hometown in NJ and most places in flyover country, before beautiful capitalism, had no way at all to get their hands on snooty big city things like espresso and trade paperbacks.  And no way to get sizzlin' fajitas before Chiles.

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 10:47:16 AM »
I know that Starbucks originally only had two sizes: short (6 or 8oz -- i believe) and tall (12oz). Once they began expanding across the country, people wanted more coffee so they introduced the grande (16oz) and eventually people wanted even more so they added the venti (20oz).

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 10:50:38 AM »
"Tall" better be tall. Like, Richard Kind tall.

Fixed.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 11:11:11 AM »
I know that Starbucks originally only had two sizes: short (6 or 8oz -- i believe) and tall (12oz). Once they began expanding across the country, people wanted more coffee so they introduced the grande (16oz) and eventually people wanted even more so they added the venti (20oz).

this is true.  have you seen people drinking coffee in old movies, especially from europe?

small cups.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 01:18:09 AM »
Another knock against the Adbusters crowd:  You can talk smack about Starbucks or Barnes and Nobles, but my hometown in NJ and most places in flyover country, before beautiful capitalism, had no way at all to get their hands on snooty big city things like espresso and trade paperbacks.

Yup, right there with ya man. I grew up in a flyover state that had only shitty coffee and not a whole lotta trade paperbacks. It wasn't easy. Now they have Starbucks and other, somewhat improved coffee, and Barnes & Noble's. Say what you will, they think it's great and I gotta say, it's an improvement.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 08:20:24 AM »
trailer to the new paul rudd has a "mis-ordering coffee" gag.
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/08/help_me_decide_if_this_role_mo.php
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 08:52:02 AM »
Ok so that movie looks pretty good. I'm a sucker for Paul Rudd.

Also... I really do love Starbucks mochas more than any other place. They use a slightly bitter chocolate and it just tastes less like candy and more like an espresso drink. I think they're stuff is more consistent so I occasionally go there.

That said, I'm pretty happy they started backing out of some of their stores and closing them up. The oversaturation is just crazy. In San Francisco there's one literally every 2 blocks around union square.
from the land of pleasant living

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 11:23:15 AM »
the only reason i have a hard time supporting starbucks is because i enjoy strictly coffee and cream- done.  i cant bring myself to spend 2-3 times more than i have to for such minimalism.  sorry.

however, that does not include the seasonal lip smacker "pumpkin spice latte"...one pump, no whip!

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 02:47:41 PM »
Now a complaint aimed at fellow Starbucks customers. If your order is more than ten words long, you should re-evaluate your life needs.  That goes double if your order ends with a temperature.* That kills me!

*Unless you're ordering for a child, and then you could just say "Not too hot please, it's for a kid"
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 03:53:53 PM »
Now a complaint aimed at fellow Starbucks customers. If your order is more than ten words long, you should re-evaluate your life needs.  That goes double if your order ends with a temperature.* That kills me!

*Unless you're ordering for a child, and then you could just say "Not too hot please, it's for a kid"

Yeah, agreed. Having worked at a Starbucks before, I was able to design my drink to my liking (certain amounts of syrup, etc), but if I were ever to order it at a store, I'd just get a regular. I'm not going to bug people by giving an order that's easy to screw up (because it's' so specific) and look like a douche when it's just a cup of tea/coffee.

I saw that new Paul Rudd trailer before Pineapple Express and am delighted to see Mr. Bobb'E J. Thompson is getting work. He's probably the best part of that trailer.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »
Also, there's absolutely no need for TWO tea bags in a large tea.  What is this, a contest?  It's tea!!

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »

Jon, you order coffee for your kids?  No wonder they look so exuberant.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.