Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 928251 times)

slipperyslope

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #1470 on: April 21, 2010, 11:52:13 AM »
I hate walking into the men's room and seeing some guy standing at the urinal arms akimbo with both hands on his hips, like he's some kind of superhero of peeing or something.

(I fully admit that this is probably the worst thing I've ever posted here.)

I hate it when they do that AND have their pants and underwear down to their ankles at the same time.

Is this a common thing? I was using the bathroom once (the stall, of course) and when I made my exit, a guy was standing at the urinal with his pants down past his buttocks. He was staring at me, which was a little creepy. I honestly thought he was coming on to me, but maybe I was too quick to judge.

The ONLY time i've ever seen this was when I was a child in a school that had an integrated so-called "special needs" program where kids with various handicaps and disorders and things would do half a day with the rest of us. In an innocent non-bully sort of way, it was very funny to us to all line up at the urinals, thinking we were just shorter versions of grown up men doing our business, and then watch this one guy from the special needs do his thing with the same (if not more) confidence, but with his pants basically on the floor.

slipperyslope

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1471 on: April 21, 2010, 11:57:16 AM »
A zealot is by definition a fanatic.  I do not believe DfK, or Bonnie, or Pastor Josh qualifies as such.

I respectfully disagree. Not with the latter, I don't know these people enough to call them crazy :)
But "zealotry" and "zeal" refer, more or less, to operating in significant, perhaps even nearly unwavering devotion.

I think you're talking about something typically called "overzealous"

Sarah

« Reply #1472 on: April 21, 2010, 12:04:53 PM »
You presume too much.

"Zealot:  1 cap : a member of a fanatical sect arising in Judea during the first century A.D. and militantly opposing the Roman domination of Palestine 2 : a zealous person; esp : a fanatical partisan <a religious ~>" (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th ed.).

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1473 on: April 21, 2010, 12:05:53 PM »
A zealot is by definition a fanatic.  I do not believe DfK, or Bonnie, or Pastor Josh qualifies as such.

I respectfully disagree. Not with the latter, I don't know these people enough to call them crazy :)
But "zealotry" and "zeal" refer, more or less, to operating in significant, perhaps even nearly unwavering devotion.

I think you're talking about something typically called "overzealous"

In the context of religion at least (which I think is it's original usage) I think Sarah's right. Someone who's not a fanatic is merely "religious". If you're a "religious zealot" that means you're a fanatic.

edit: ...but Sarah got there before me, and with the references to back it up.

Sarah

« Reply #1474 on: April 21, 2010, 12:09:10 PM »
The mood I'm in today, I needed that, Bryan.  Thank you.

slipperyslope

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1475 on: April 21, 2010, 12:12:40 PM »
But those refer to something completely different. When a pastor says he's zealous (typically, anyway), he's not saying he's part of an ancient group of fanatics, nor is he saying he's a modern religious fanatic. I guess he could speak for himself though ;)

The definitions you pulled from MW aren't where the word's usage end. For example, a lot of "religious" persons read and speak of a "zeal" that isn't fanatical at all. You can be zealous about something without being insane.

mahgeetah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1476 on: April 21, 2010, 12:16:34 PM »
I'll take a self-righteous religious zealot over a self-righteous atheist any day.

Why so?

The conversations I've had with religious evangelists has been more bearable than the ones I've had with atheist evangelists. The religious types have been more interested in a semi-coherent philosophical discussion and are at least open to the possibility that I'm not going to walk away having been converted. The loud-mouth atheist types, on the other hand, mostly want to listen to themselves yammer about how much smarter they are than all the rubes out there.

Of course, I'm obviously generalizing based on a handful of people I've met. And keep in mind I'm talking about self-righteous loudmouths, trying to sort out what seems like a two-way tie for last.
I'm in my late 50's.

slipperyslope

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1477 on: April 21, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »
I'll take a self-righteous religious zealot over a self-righteous atheist any day.

Why so?

The conversations I've had with religious evangelists has been more bearable than the ones I've had with atheist evangelists. The religious types have been more interested in a semi-coherent philosophical discussion and are at least open to the possibility that I'm not going to walk away having been converted. The loud-mouth atheist types, on the other hand, mostly want to listen to themselves yammer about how much smarter they are than all the rubes out there.

Of course, I'm obviously generalizing based on a handful of people I've met. And keep in mind I'm talking about self-righteous loudmouths, trying to sort out what seems like a two-way tie for last.

Yeah, it's been my experience too most of the time. At their worst, those atheists seem to want to spend more time insulting innocent people's intelligence than anything else. The most troublesome of the religious evangelist types i've met like to ask too many questions or throw guilt around. Which is tolerable to a point by comparison.

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1478 on: April 21, 2010, 12:46:18 PM »
Imagine you were among adults who literally believed in Santa Claus, that a bearded guy came down everybody's chimney once a year.  Would you question their intelligence? 

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1479 on: April 21, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »
I hate walking into the men's room and seeing some guy standing at the urinal arms akimbo with both hands on his hips, like he's some kind of superhero of peeing or something.

I hate it when they do that AND have their pants and underwear down to their ankles at the same time.

Is this a common thing? I was using the bathroom once (the stall, of course) and when I made my exit, a guy was standing at the urinal with his pants down past his buttocks. He was staring at me, which was a little creepy. I honestly thought he was coming on to me, but maybe I was too quick to judge.

The ONLY time i've ever seen this was when I was a child in a school that had an integrated so-called "special needs" program where kids with various handicaps and disorders and things would do half a day with the rest of us. In an innocent non-bully sort of way, it was very funny to us to all line up at the urinals, thinking we were just shorter versions of grown up men doing our business, and then watch this one guy from the special needs do his thing with the same (if not more) confidence, but with his pants basically on the floor.

99 pages in, I'd just like to say: I LOVE THIS THREAD.

I'm warning you with peace and love.

Sarah

« Reply #1480 on: April 21, 2010, 04:50:12 PM »
But those refer to something completely different. When a pastor says he's zealous (typically, anyway), he's not saying he's part of an ancient group of fanatics, nor is he saying he's a modern religious fanatic. I guess he could speak for himself though ;)

The definitions you pulled from MW aren't where the word's usage end. For example, a lot of "religious" persons read and speak of a "zeal" that isn't fanatical at all. You can be zealous about something without being insane.

I was talking about the word "zealot," as were you, till you moved on to "zeal" and "zealous."  "Zealot" carries far different, and more ferocious, connotations than either of those two.  If I ever heard a preacher describe himself as a zealot I'd either be a-scared or question his command of the English language.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1481 on: April 21, 2010, 08:03:49 PM »
People trying to bully you with 'you're going to hell lol' and people bullying you with 'you r stupid lol': 2-way tie for last. Fortunately, they are a pretty small minority in either group.

I have gotten crap in workplace situations for being a non-believer that I doubt I'd have gotten if I were, say, Mormon, though. Of course, those were some Mayberry type workplaces. They had so much wrong with them that that was just a blip anyway.

What was I talking about again?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1482 on: April 21, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »

There was a kid in my 1st grade class who did this. He wasn't really a special needs kid, although he did kind of have a special need to learn to function without his mother around.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1483 on: April 21, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »
Some of you may be interested to learn you've unwittingly earned yourselves forced, Clockwork Orange-style screenings of Ben Stein's EXPELLED.

slipperyslope

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1484 on: April 22, 2010, 03:09:19 AM »
Some of you may be interested to learn you've unwittingly earned yourselves forced, Clockwork Orange-style screenings of Ben Stein's EXPELLED.

Please! I'm cured!