Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 928161 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #1590 on: June 15, 2010, 08:18:55 PM »
Our large dog, Pepper, has vanished. He's old, and he has some struggle with arthritis or something similar in his hips. He lives outside, in an invisible fence set-up. This morning he seemed a little sluggish, but that's not all that unusual. During the day there was a terrible thunderstorm; when we got home, he's nowhere to be found.

We are hopeful that the battery on his collar ran down, allowing him to run for the hills when the lightning started striking; he definitely hated loud noises. But Carol is concerned that he snuck out into the woods to die; the invisible fence would allow him to go about 120 yards from the house.

With luck, he will limp back home tonight.

dave

Sarah

« Reply #1591 on: June 15, 2010, 08:22:22 PM »
Oh, Dave, that is awful.  I hope he comes home.  It's terrible to think of a rickety dog (he sounds like he has Bandit's hips) on the loose.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1592 on: June 15, 2010, 09:19:23 PM »
These weasel stories are reminding me of the 'humane raccoon relocation' business in 'The 400 lb. CEO'.

DoodleJump!

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1593 on: June 15, 2010, 10:49:31 PM »
Our large dog, Pepper, has vanished. He's old, and he has some struggle with arthritis or something similar in his hips. He lives outside, in an invisible fence set-up. This morning he seemed a little sluggish, but that's not all that unusual. During the day there was a terrible thunderstorm; when we got home, he's nowhere to be found.

We are hopeful that the battery on his collar ran down, allowing him to run for the hills when the lightning started striking; he definitely hated loud noises. But Carol is concerned that he snuck out into the woods to die; the invisible fence would allow him to go about 120 yards from the house.

dave

That's always worrisome...I hope for the best for him!
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1594 on: June 16, 2010, 06:25:30 AM »

dave

That's always worrisome...I hope for the best for him!

Here's the deal with Pepper. I went out around 9 with a flashlight; honestly I was afraid I was looking for a body. He's black with a white chest and tail; I was hopeful that I would not find him dead, but knew that white chest would pop in the flashlight if he was.

Wandered the streets of the neighborhood by car, calling and whistling for him. Came back home and started combing through some of the wooded areas close to the house. There's a natural creek that runs close to the house. On our property we have let it remain wild (that's my rationale for being too lazy to tame it); I fought through that for a while, staying close to the creek. No luck, but when I came to the edge of our property, the going got easier, and I decided to stay close to the creek, thinking that maybe when he got away from the house, he would have to have water at some point (the heat index was about 104 yesterday.)

Got a couple hundred feet into the third neighbors yard, and there he was, standing in water about 6 inches deep. He had gone into the creek, and then apparently his gimpy legs were not strong enough to get him out. Worse, there's nowhere in the creek that's shallow enough for him to put his head down, so he'd been standing there for God knows how long.

I jumped in the creek and tried to fish him out; he is a 75-pounder, and I am a notorious weakling. The third attempt I got about 2/3 of him above the creek bed, and sort of flipped him up (gently) and onto the ground. By that time the neighbor had come out to see what his dog was barking about. Thank goodness for that, because he had an oversized wheel barrow, and together we got the dog into it and back home.

I was a little worried because Pepper would not stand up, but I think he was just exhausted. Later when I took the little dog Pippin out to visit, Pepper at least stood up, so we are going to see if he's walking this morning, and take him to the vet to be checked out.

Our theory is that he ran off during the awful thunderstorm, and when he ran, found out that the collar on his invisible fence was not working (when the battery goes out, we often don't find out for a while, because he doesn't ever really try to leave the house anymore anyway) and ran for the hills. Or in this case, the steep watery valley.

Thanks for all the nice notes and tweets I got. So far so good!

Sarah

« Reply #1595 on: June 16, 2010, 06:40:51 AM »
Poor Pepper (and you and Mary and AfK and anyone else who was worried, of course).  I hope he recovers from his ordeal.  Since he managed to stand up the very night you found him, I bet he will. 

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1596 on: June 16, 2010, 09:11:57 AM »
Glad to hear you found Pepper, Dave. I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Stan

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1597 on: June 16, 2010, 09:20:04 AM »
Good to hear that, Dave.

Has anyone heard from Andy from OK since the flooding down there?
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1598 on: June 16, 2010, 09:27:42 AM »
Andy's fine, save his toe.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1599 on: June 16, 2010, 09:30:58 AM »
Glad to hear Pepper's doing OK, Dave.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1600 on: June 16, 2010, 09:32:15 AM »

Just think, Frank Zappa could have picked any of these articles.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1601 on: June 16, 2010, 03:31:12 PM »
Andy has toes with a mind of his own.

I really hate that so many women out there chemically straighten their hair like curly hair is some sort of curse :( And most of them dont' even have an unruly fro like I do!
from the land of pleasant living

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1602 on: June 16, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »
Andy has toes with a mind of his own.

I really hate that so many women out there chemically straighten their hair like curly hair is some sort of curse :( And most of them dont' even have an unruly fro like I do!

i agree with this.  and the fact that breast augmentation will solve all their self esteem issues*

*i'm not making assumption here; it has actually been said by women i know.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1603 on: June 16, 2010, 09:35:07 PM »
curly hair is gross.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Matt C

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1604 on: June 17, 2010, 11:44:01 AM »
My stupid neighbors mowing their lawn at 9:30-10 PM.  What the Fuuuu