Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 928309 times)

Sarah

Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #2220 on: February 01, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »
This talk of snow days reminds me of how great it was when I lived within easy walking distance of school in a very cold and snowy part of New York (Potsdam).  Whenever school was canceled, I felt like I was getting away with murder. 

Alex_from_the_woods

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2221 on: February 01, 2011, 08:36:47 AM »
I don't mind the snow so much. I do mind the snow hysteria. The media eats this stuff up. To see it on TV, you'd think we're all living in lean-tos (grammar police- help!), huddled around a few smoldering twigs with our stomachs growling. It's snow, people. It'll melt. You won't be trapped in you're McMansion for weeks, forced to subsist on a diet of everything you could possibly want, while watching 350 channels of TV. I promise. It'll end. Then you can go out again to the mall and scurry back home.
Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Exsanguination?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2222 on: February 01, 2011, 11:08:48 AM »
I don't mind the snow so much. I do mind the snow hysteria. The media eats this stuff up. To see it on TV, you'd think we're all living in lean-tos (grammar police- help!), huddled around a few smoldering twigs with our stomachs growling. It's snow, people. It'll melt. You won't be trapped in you're McMansion for weeks, forced to subsist on a diet of everything you could possibly want, while watching 350 channels of TV. I promise. It'll end. Then you can go out again to the mall and scurry back home.

"I do mind the snow hysteria."

Drop out the word "snow".

"I do mind the _______ hysteria."

Drop in practically any noun in its place.

"I do mind the terrorism hysteria."

"I do mind the Lady Gaga hysteria."

"I do mind the Super Bowl hysteria."

"I do mind the Dave From Knoxville hysteria."

OK, they don't all work, but still.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2223 on: February 01, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »
tea party?
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2224 on: February 01, 2011, 12:55:14 PM »
I think that becomes a more interesting game if you use both parts of the original statement: "I don't mind _____ so much.  I do mind the _____ hysteria."

"I don't mind terrorism so much.  I do mind the terrorism hysteria."

"I don't mind cell phones so much.  I do mind the cell phone hysteria."

"I don't mind Dave from Knoxville so much.  I do mind the Dave from Knoxville hysteria."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2225 on: February 01, 2011, 01:01:48 PM »
I think that becomes a more interesting game if you use both parts of the original statement: "I don't mind _____ so much.  I do mind the _____ hysteria."

"I don't mind Dave from Knoxville so much.  I do mind the Dave from Knoxville hysteria."

I am getting Andy to cross-stitch this for me.

Alex_from_the_woods

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2226 on: February 01, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »

[/quote

...or mix and match
"I don't mind the terrorism so much. I do mind the Lady Gaga hysteria."
Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Exsanguination?

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2227 on: February 01, 2011, 01:34:51 PM »
Is it true that when record store employees are hired they are told that if anyone asks for something they don't have, to say: "We actually get that in a lot but it goes quick."

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2228 on: February 01, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »

I still have one I need to send you.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2229 on: February 01, 2011, 01:55:41 PM »

I still have one I need to send you.

I ain't complaining. My Secret Santa gift for NJL is turning into a Secret Easter Bunny gift.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2230 on: February 01, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »

...or mix and match
"I don't mind the terrorism so much. I do mind the Lady Gaga hysteria."

Alex from the woods FTW!
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2231 on: February 01, 2011, 04:02:16 PM »
DISCLAIMER: DEAR YOUNG PEOPLE, PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM SAYING THAT ILLEGAL DRUGS ARE *BAD.* (SUPER MARIO KART IS SO MUCH BETTER)

I admit to having "inhaled" from time to time as a college kid.  It was usually underwhelming. I might get a little quiet and smiley, but that was about it.

Since then, I would say I have touched the stuff once every few years, and every time, it seems like it is becoming more and more weaponized.   What the shit is going on?  Where is the stuff that makes you giggle a little and eat snacks?  I don't need something created in a subterranean lab by Simon Bar Sinister.

Wow. I'm really feeling like I crossed some invisible line here.  Did I?  Or was it just not that interesting a post? I kind of hope it was the latter.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Sarah

« Reply #2232 on: February 01, 2011, 04:14:29 PM »
A lot of times people don't react to what's said in this thread.  I doubt if the lack of response to your post is any more significant than the lack of response to others.

About your weaponization comment, however, I agree.  In my pot-smoking youth, a couple of people could share a joint and get lightly high.  Nowadays it seems the goal is to make the lightest of puffs enough to render one paralytic.  I'm just glad I stopped liking marijuana when I was sixteen, so that I didn't have to fret, rage, and mourn over the changes.  I mean, I'm still upset Swiss 'n' Ham crackers were discontinued (in the sixties, I believe); imagine how upset I'd be about the evolution of the mary jane?

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2233 on: February 01, 2011, 04:18:56 PM »
DISCLAIMER: DEAR YOUNG PEOPLE, PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM SAYING THAT ILLEGAL DRUGS ARE *BAD.* (SUPER MARIO KART IS SO MUCH BETTER)

I admit to having "inhaled" from time to time as a college kid.  It was usually underwhelming. I might get a little quiet and smiley, but that was about it.

Since then, I would say I have touched the stuff once every few years, and every time, it seems like it is becoming more and more weaponized.   What the shit is going on?  Where is the stuff that makes you giggle a little and eat snacks?  I don't need something created in a subterranean lab by Simon Bar Sinister.

Wow. I'm really feeling like I crossed some invisible line here.  Did I?  Or was it just not that interesting a post? I kind of hope it was the latter.

Nah, I don't think you crossed a line, nor were you uninteresting.

I've heard a lot of talk in the media that weed is a lot stronger now than it was in the 60s or 70s, but I've always assumed that was a way for baby boomers to say, in effect, "it was OK for us to do it back in the day, but it's not OK for our kids to do it!" I personally haven't noticed a big difference between the product now and back in the 90s (my earliest point of reference).

In general, it's a good strategy to just have a little teensy bit until you know what you're getting yourself into.

Chloe inChicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2234 on: February 01, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
Motivation for moderation seems to be fickle, especially while high.

But once you find balance, what works and what doesn't for your body and mind, a hit here and there might actually be good.

I know my dad smokes to ease stress and settle his stomach. Responsibility is key.

I doubt any of what I just typed makes much sense.