Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 911656 times)

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #660 on: May 12, 2009, 11:40:34 PM »
Although G.I. Joe was before my time and I have no nostalgia for it, I hate the trailer for the new movie. I thought G.I. Joes were supposed to be soldiers, not flying Iron Man robots. So why even bother naming it G.I. Joe?

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #661 on: May 12, 2009, 11:42:40 PM »
I hate those contrived "Aha" moments in movies where the writers are hitting you over the head with hints about a character.

Case in point, McCoy in the new Star Trek, describing an ex-wife:

"She left me with nothin' but my bones!"

Get it?! It's the (awkwardly inserted) origin of his nickname!

Pidgeon

« Reply #662 on: May 12, 2009, 11:51:18 PM »
Overused smarmy nicknames for people/things (found a lot on the Huffington Post comment section), like:

AmeriKKKa
Eurabia
John McSame
RePUGS
Micro$oft
Church of $cientology

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #663 on: May 12, 2009, 11:54:14 PM »
Overused smarmy nicknames for people/things (found a lot on the Huffington Post comment section), like:

AmeriKKKa
Eurabia
John McSame
RePUGS

Don't forget Libtard, Demonrat, and RINO, all of which are used extensively on Free Republic.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #664 on: May 12, 2009, 11:59:08 PM »

AmeriKKKa
Eurabia
John McSame
RePUGS
Micro$oft
Church of $cientology

Yeah, that stuff just reminds me of like an awful Maureen Dowd column. Huffington Post might have the worst commenters on the internet, even worse than YouTube. I remember watching a video on HuffPo of something like Joaquin Phoenix's Letterman appearance. I scrolled down to look at comments and people would insert anti-Bush rants for no reason. They'd say "No wonder he's going mad, we had Bush in the White House for 8 years!" and then they'd get positive comments from other people.

Pidgeon

« Reply #665 on: May 13, 2009, 12:02:36 AM »
It's exactly like Tom was saying: I agree with a lot of the Huffington post guys, but I just HATE the way they say things.

I was reading an article about polar bear hunting. I agree 100% that it's wrong, but it just steams me to see the comment section. "Humans are the most vilest of animals, not like the noble polar bear, etc etc" It's just that horrible whining.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #666 on: May 13, 2009, 12:02:59 AM »
Huffington Post might have the worst commenters on the internet, even worse than YouTube.

That is impossible. The comments section of YouTube is a breeding ground for some of the worst that humanity has to offer. There are some real troglodytes there. But Huffington Post is really bad.

erechoveraker

« Reply #667 on: May 13, 2009, 02:53:16 AM »
I dunno, the Huffpo commenters are a mix of the worst AICN type talkbacker with a touch of the mutanity that is a Newsarama fanboy poster to boot. It's amazing how easy it is to troll people over there too, not a single one of them has the slightest bit of a sense of humor, let alone any idea what irony means.

Youtube comment threads generally start off with insults, devolve to curses, maybe some no u r type internets, and then come the racial slurs. That's all pretty standard and expected, especially considering how many video results you get by typing "gets kicked in the" there. Huffington's is supposed to be a little more, what though? High brow, learned? Although they do let that dude from Wings try to tell us all how it's supposed to be, so maybe I'm totally misreading that place.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #668 on: May 13, 2009, 10:02:50 AM »

I thought "Bones" was a shortened form of "sawbones," i.e. old-timey slang for a surgeon.

Sarah

« Reply #669 on: May 13, 2009, 10:26:29 AM »
I was just going to say that, Bryan.  And I suspect we are right.  Bu I suppose it's possible the makers of the new Star Trek movie are unfamiliar with the term and so made up this idiotic explanation. 

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #670 on: May 13, 2009, 10:38:14 AM »
And if they don't use money in Star Trek, I don't see why you'd be forced to join Starfleet after a divorce.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #671 on: May 13, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »
I dunno, the Huffpo commenters are a mix of the worst AICN type talkbacker with a touch of the mutanity that is a Newsarama fanboy poster to boot. It's amazing how easy it is to troll people over there too, not a single one of them has the slightest bit of a sense of humor, let alone any idea what irony means.

Youtube comment threads generally start off with insults, devolve to curses, maybe some no u r type internets, and then come the racial slurs. That's all pretty standard and expected, especially considering how many video results you get by typing "gets kicked in the" there. Huffington's is supposed to be a little more, what though? High brow, learned? Although they do let that dude from Wings try to tell us all how it's supposed to be, so maybe I'm totally misreading that place.

I think the explanation for this is pretty simple: your average man on the street SHOULDN'T be heard from. 
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #672 on: May 13, 2009, 12:07:21 PM »
I think the explanation for this is pretty simple: your average man on the street SHOULDN'T be heard from. 

Elitist.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #673 on: May 13, 2009, 12:23:35 PM »
I hate SNORING SNORING SNORING.
from the land of pleasant living

Pidgeon

« Reply #674 on: May 13, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »
I hate those contrived "Aha" moments in movies where the writers are hitting you over the head with hints about a character.

Case in point, McCoy in the new Star Trek, describing an ex-wife:

What's even worse are the "hey, that's a real person!" moments in biopics, like in Ray when Quincy Jones says "My name is Quincy Jones"