Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 913596 times)

Sarah

Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #675 on: May 13, 2009, 01:46:43 PM »
I rather like snoring other than my own.  My father was a champion snorer, so I associate the sound with the snugness of childhood.  And the snoring of dogs and cats is one of the sweet things of life.

I do hate it when a particularly loud snort emanating from my own nose yanks me awake, though.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #676 on: May 13, 2009, 02:59:36 PM »
The snoring of a man who has been drinking beer and smokes a pack - 2 packs a day is no fun. NO FUN I TELL YOU.
from the land of pleasant living

Sarah

« Reply #677 on: May 13, 2009, 03:20:30 PM »
I used to live with such a man, erika.  The sleep apnea bothered me far more than the snoring.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #678 on: May 13, 2009, 03:32:51 PM »
I think the explanation for this is pretty simple: your average man on the street SHOULDN'T be heard from. 

Elitist.

You have no idea.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

emma

« Reply #679 on: May 13, 2009, 03:45:01 PM »
CAN EVERYONE AT MY SCHOOL STOP TALKING ABOUT PROM NOW PLEASE THANKS OKAY

(I am sorry I am in this thread so much. I am just cranky!)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #680 on: May 13, 2009, 06:43:48 PM »
Listening to Jesse Thorn interview Jello Biafra only to hear that Jello speaks in that comic font Tom and the gang were joking about last night. A seminal influence===a total goofball.

pete

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #681 on: May 13, 2009, 07:03:43 PM »
Listening to Jesse Thorn interview Jello Biafra only to hear that Jello speaks in that comic font Tom and the gang were joking about last night. A seminal influence===a total goofball.

Right??  I would have been so much more interested in what he was saying if it didn't sound like he was auditioning for a show on Nick, Jr.  I'd never heard him before. I guess I should have known he was crazy, but for some reason, it was a real surprise.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #682 on: May 14, 2009, 11:42:53 PM »
Ha! the worst case of that was that Kaufman biopic Jim Carrey was in, Man On The Moon.

When they had him doing his 'Taxi' stuff, it was all the original cast, only now they are all 90 and have various drug and substance induced problems with their fine motor skills.  Additionally, they used the most contemptible of film forms, the montage.  Pure dreck. 

I hate those contrived "Aha" moments in movies where the writers are hitting you over the head with hints about a character.

Case in point, McCoy in the new Star Trek, describing an ex-wife:

"She left me with nothin' but my bones!"

Get it?! It's the (awkwardly inserted) origin of his nickname!

What's even worse are the "hey, that's a real person!" moments in biopics, like in Ray when Quincy Jones says "My name is Quincy Jones"

Pidgeon

« Reply #683 on: May 15, 2009, 02:14:12 AM »
That phase a lot of people go through when they're fourteen and they first discover "classic rock"...and then go on about how no one else their age appreciates the classics and how any music made after December 31, 1989 is awful.

I was there.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #684 on: May 15, 2009, 03:04:46 AM »
Political talk radio, in my humble opinion, is mostly worthless drivel. It's mostly inflammatory rhetoric and is almost entirely devoid of reasonable and civilized discourse.

Yet, I can't stop listening to it.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #685 on: May 15, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
That phase a lot of people go through when they're fourteen and they first discover "classic rock"...and then go on about how no one else their age appreciates the classics and how any music made after December 31, 1989 is awful.

I was there.

Wow I'm only 30 and this post makes me feel old. What year were you born? (Why are the 80's considered classic rock?)

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #686 on: May 15, 2009, 09:15:31 AM »
I hate those contrived "Aha" moments in movies where the writers are hitting you over the head with hints about a character.

Case in point, McCoy in the new Star Trek, describing an ex-wife:

"She left me with nothin' but my bones!"

Get it?! It's the (awkwardly inserted) origin of his nickname!

To tie this into the Lost thread, there was that episode where they decided they needed to explain why Desmond calls everyone "brutha" all the time. It was because...he was briefly a monk! What? Come on. Desmond calling everybody brutha all the time doesn't need an explanation, he calls everyone brutha all the time because he's a Magic Scottish Guy and that's what Magic Scottish Guys call people. I swear, Lost, sometimes I wish you were a person so I could fight you.
This may be the year I will disappear.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #687 on: May 15, 2009, 10:01:24 AM »

I was there.

Wow I'm only 30 and this post makes me feel old. What year were you born? (Why are the 80's considered classic rock?)

When I was in high school, the coolness expiration date for music was December 31, 1979. Anything immediately after that would have been considered New-Wave pansy music. Toward the end, some people did grudgingly admit to liking U2 and REM.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #688 on: May 15, 2009, 10:10:16 AM »
It's just the idea of calling that "classic rock" that strikes me as so wrong.

scratchbomb

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #689 on: May 15, 2009, 10:23:42 AM »
It's just the idea of calling that "classic rock" that strikes me as so wrong.

I was horrified to discover that Classic Rock Radio Stations now play stuff that debuted when I was in middle school (Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, etc.). That made me feel real old real fast.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants