Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 917380 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #1605 on: June 17, 2010, 11:45:12 AM »
Glad to hear Pepper's doing OK, Dave.

As it turns out, Pepper has had a stroke. He's walking in circles, and seems to be off balance, but he seems to be able to find his way to his food and water bowls, and into his dog house, which is outside, but out of the sun.

The worst part was that when he first returned from the vet he seemed to not recognize us; he was not unfriendly, but did not much respond to our neck-rubbing and talking, but today he seems to be coming around. I think I even saw his tail wagging a bit when we took out the little white dog, Pippin. Most dogs make substantial recoveries from strokes. No one knows for sure, but one widely held theory is that their brain is mostly given to instinctual rather than learned behaviors, and is somehow better able to rewire itself than humans.

I will keep you posted. We're hoping he will have a good quality of life in his declining years. He certainly won't lack for love and attention. Carol especially appreciates your warm wishes.

Here's another thing I really hate; Julie from Cincinnati's trip, which started out with a shared dinner with Mr and Mrs DfK, was an unmitigated disaster. I am deeply sorry that she will associate my town forever with sickness (both to her and the third or fourth greatest dog I have ever met) and devastating automobile repair bills. It saddens me to say it, but visit Knoxville at your own peril! Anybody get me Patton's cell phone number yet?

Barry Egan

« Reply #1606 on: June 17, 2010, 01:49:26 PM »
I just got a facebook solicitation from my former drama teacher from my wealthy Fairfax County high school.

What do they need 1500 dollars for?  To procure trophies and food for a big awards show pitting high school actors against each other.

Least noble cause ever?!  Somewhere an oily pelican just squawked, "Trophies?"

Barry Egan

« Reply #1607 on: June 17, 2010, 02:47:04 PM »
And of course in my usual idiot fashion, i replied to the facebook message by completely tearing into him, only to realize that all 300 people on his list would read it.  Now I'm fighting with strangers.

I hate me for again forgetting to never have an opinion on the internet.  

Sarah

« Reply #1608 on: June 17, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
The news of Pepper's stroke makes me sad.  May he enjoy what's left!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1609 on: June 17, 2010, 03:30:58 PM »
And of course in my usual idiot fashion, i replied to the facebook message by completely tearing into him, only to realize that all 300 people on his list would read it.  Now I'm fighting with strangers.

The internet is all about having opinions. You used the internet as it was intended to be used.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1610 on: June 17, 2010, 03:32:53 PM »

this has happened to me on more than one occasion, including pre-internet days when i would angrily write a note to someone, pass it along, and have it read by everyone else they showed it to- same principle, same outcome.

you can't win, BE.  continue to do what you do.

Barry Egan

« Reply #1611 on: June 17, 2010, 03:47:41 PM »
Had I read this whole page I would've posted my rant later. 

Sorry about your dog, DFK. 

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1612 on: June 17, 2010, 03:56:26 PM »

As it turns out, Pepper has had a stroke.

Aw ... poor dog. I'm sorry Dave!
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1613 on: June 17, 2010, 03:56:54 PM »
I just got a facebook solicitation from my former drama teacher from my wealthy Fairfax County high school.

Woah - what school in Fairfax Co.?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1614 on: June 17, 2010, 03:59:27 PM »
Had I read this whole page I would've posted my rant later. 

Sorry about your dog, DFK. 

...i also did the same exact thing a few pages back when dfk's mom was going through some health issues.  

you and i are blunder brothers.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1615 on: June 17, 2010, 05:04:17 PM »

As it turns out, Pepper has had a stroke. He's walking in circles, and seems to be off balance, but he seems to be able to find his way to his food and water bowls, and into his dog house, which is outside, but out of the sun.

The worst part was that when he first returned from the vet he seemed to not recognize us; he was not unfriendly, but did not much respond to our neck-rubbing and talking, but today he seems to be coming around. I think I even saw his tail wagging a bit when we took out the little white dog, Pippin. Most dogs make substantial recoveries from strokes. No one knows for sure, but one widely held theory is that their brain is mostly given to instinctual rather than learned behaviors, and is somehow better able to rewire itself than humans.

I will keep you posted. We're hoping he will have a good quality of life in his declining years. He certainly won't lack for love and attention. Carol especially appreciates your warm wishes.

Here's another thing I really hate; Julie from Cincinnati's trip, which started out with a shared dinner with Mr and Mrs DfK, was an unmitigated disaster. I am deeply sorry that she will associate my town forever with sickness (both to her and the third or fourth greatest dog I have ever met) and devastating automobile repair bills. It saddens me to say it, but visit Knoxville at your own peril! Anybody get me Patton's cell phone number yet?

Dave, you have my deepest sympathy regarding Pepper's stroke.  I was reminded of the brain scientist who spoke about her own stroke at the TED conference.  I know dogs and humans have very brains. But, according to her story, Pepper may not recognize you but also may be in a very beautiful place.  Check it out if you haven't seen it yet.  Here's a link: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1616 on: June 17, 2010, 05:11:06 PM »
that's always been one of my favorite Ted conference speeches.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1617 on: June 17, 2010, 05:14:09 PM »

Agreed Baron.  Best explanation of the left brain/ right brain duty-split I've ever heard.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Barry Egan

« Reply #1618 on: June 17, 2010, 05:15:59 PM »

Woah - what school in Fairfax Co.?

Lake Braddock, proud home of Mia Hamm and half of The Dismemberment Plan.  
Are you from the area, AC?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1619 on: June 17, 2010, 07:07:52 PM »

Agreed Baron.  Best explanation of the left brain/ right brain duty-split I've ever heard.

Thanks Fredericks, you're the best, even if I pretend to hate you for comedic effect.