Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 920990 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #1920 on: August 20, 2010, 09:13:30 AM »
Jim Morrison's poetry. Also...Jim Morrison.

Also...people in their late-teens/early 20s who want to model their life after Jim Morrisson.

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1921 on: August 20, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »

Also...people in their late-teens/early 20s who want to model their life after Jim Morrisson. .

Matt Braunger does a bit about Morrison that is spot-on.Toilet NSFW Talk Matt Braunger Effinfunny Stand Up - Driving Mr. Morrison

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1922 on: August 20, 2010, 11:21:31 AM »
C'mon! 

"The west is the best?"  Never have more profound words been written or uttered.

I once called the show and relayed to Tom the story of when I badmouthed Morrison at an office party, and it turned out the new guy next to me was in a Doors cover band.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1923 on: August 20, 2010, 02:31:38 PM »
C'mon! 

"The west is the best?"  Never have more profound words been written or uttered.

I once called the show and relayed to Tom the story of when I badmouthed Morrison at an office party, and it turned out the new guy next to me was in a Doors cover band.

I'm afraid to ask, but what was their name? I know 'Crystal Sh**' is already taken...

jolkow

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1924 on: August 20, 2010, 03:00:21 PM »
C'mon! 

I'm afraid to ask, but what was their name? I know 'Crystal Sh**' is already taken...

LOL

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1925 on: August 20, 2010, 11:43:34 PM »

Agreed.  I gave all their albums a shot, but they're just not that good.  When I was a college freshman, all the girls had Val Kilmer dressed as him on the walls.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1926 on: August 20, 2010, 11:51:12 PM »
When I was back there in seminary school
There was a person there
Who put forth the proposition
That you can petition the Lord with prayer
Petition the Lord with prayer
Petition the Lord with prayer
You cannot petition the Lord with prayer
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1927 on: August 21, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »
Jesse Thorpe's fashion blog which encourages us to dress like the jagoffs in Esquire.

http://putthison.com/

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1928 on: August 21, 2010, 03:10:45 PM »
Jesse Thorpe's fashion blog which encourages us to dress like the jagoffs in Esquire.

http://putthison.com/

Yeah, high quality artisan made clothing woven cut and sewn in America is total jagoff. Looking like an informed adult while purchasing things that will LAST sucks too. I hate a good pair of shoes that I can have resoled 3 or 4 times.

Quality is quality whether it is a book or record or movie or pair of pants. Jesse Thorne likes to look like he takes pride in his wardrobe choice.

robertc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1929 on: August 21, 2010, 09:34:19 PM »
Yeah I have a hard time hating on a podcaster who cares about his appearance, even if I question his taste from time to time.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1930 on: August 21, 2010, 09:47:45 PM »
No problem caring about yr clothes and such, but the 'dress like a grown-up' condescending tag phrase I can do without.

Also I've never made it thru an episode of 'Jordan, Jessie, GOOOOOO!'

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1931 on: August 22, 2010, 01:42:18 AM »
the 'dress like a grown-up'...

(or 'informed adult')

...condescending tag phrase I can do without.

Yep. That was really the gist. I enjoy his podcasts fine.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1932 on: August 23, 2010, 09:28:15 AM »
I'm not sure what it is about this that I hate, so I'm going to describe the scenario and let you decide:

I have an acquaintance who becomes obsessed with things for a very short period of time. The thing is, she's a PR lady, so she lives everything. The usual arc goes something like this (played out in twitter):

2 months of: "hey y'all, I've always wanted to learn acoustic guitar. Anyone know where I can get one for $50? Anyone got one I can borrow?
1 month of: "I love practicing. I know 4 chords, but they go to a death cab song so they're the only ones I need. This is never going to get old"
1 week of: "It's finally happening. I'm getting up on stage to sit in with my friends cover band. Everyone come out and support me."
Then there is the inevitable disaster, followed by:
1 night of: "AMAZING! I love being on stage. It didn't go as well as I had hoped, but I'm going to stay with it"
Followed by a month of nothing
Followed by a lifetime of "I used to play around a little bit with my friends band, I'd love to do it, I just don't have time, but we were really good"

Like I said, I don't know why it bothers me so much. Part of me wonders if I'm jealous that she's getting out there and trying things, but I really think what she's doing is disrespectful to people who really do these things. I also now that she ropes people in to participating in things like this (some of which are group activities) and then doesn't follow through and leaves them holding the bag while she goes on to the next thing.

Yuck.
Bingo- I'm havin' a time

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1933 on: August 23, 2010, 09:30:35 AM »
Also, I was being generous on the one month of practice. It's literally a week and a half on this one
Bingo- I'm havin' a time

Sarah

« Reply #1934 on: August 23, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »
Are you allowed to make fun of her and call her a liar when she makes claims along the lines of "I used to play around a little bit with my friends band, I'd love to do it, I just don't have time, but we were really good"?  Or are you required to pretend to believe her?