Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 911666 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #2685 on: October 26, 2011, 12:24:09 PM »
Siri, play some Durst.

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2686 on: October 26, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
I also can't stand how in the new IPhone Siri commerical, the black dude has gotta say "Play some Coltrane".

Would you prefer he say, "Play some Stan Kenton"?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2687 on: October 26, 2011, 01:07:04 PM »
I also can't stand how in the new IPhone Siri commerical, the black dude has gotta say "Play some Coltrane".

"Fix a sandwich for Kenny G"

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2688 on: October 26, 2011, 01:47:36 PM »
sudo fix a sandwich for Kenny G

KickTheBobo

« Reply #2689 on: October 26, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »

I wish they would have went with the more obvious/ obnoxious "Play some 'Bird'".

Smelodies

« Reply #2690 on: October 26, 2011, 08:58:34 PM »
Now when the white guy says play some white music, you have no problem with it, but when a black guy says play some black music, it's offensive?  I'm not really getting what they should have done with this guy, enlighten me, Bobo.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #2691 on: October 27, 2011, 06:34:08 AM »
Now when the white guy says play some white music, you have no problem with it, but when a black guy says play some black music, it's offensive?  I'm not really getting what they should have done with this guy, enlighten me, Bobo.

I'm sorry, I've been away for awhile. Who the fuck are you again?

It's not offensive. I couldn't give a shit either way. It's just one of those little annoying things that a person complains about on internet message boards.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2692 on: October 27, 2011, 09:34:12 AM »

I'm sorry, I've been away for awhile. Who the fuck are you again?

It's not offensive. I couldn't give a shit either way. It's just one of those little annoying things that a person complains about on internet message boards.

I'm with KickTheBobo on this.  Any fulfillment of group stereotypes in the media are annoying. Perhaps not offensive, but annoying. Such portrayals are the enemy of the Individual.  When I see two women in a commercial do something like conspire behind their husbands' backs to go on a shopping spree, or I see an Italian family all slapping each other on the shoulder and hugging around a table full of food, or I see a guy planning out his man-cave, I shudder a little.  Nothing offensive has happened, but it is a little sad.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2693 on: October 27, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »
Like it or not, stereotypes are typically based in at least a little fact. The Coltrane thing is annoying though, for reasons I can't put my finger on.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2694 on: October 27, 2011, 10:22:26 AM »
We're not gonna fall for no banana in a tail pipe.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2695 on: October 27, 2011, 10:46:10 AM »
Like it or not, stereotypes are typically based in at least a little fact. The Coltrane thing is annoying though, for reasons I can't put my finger on.

Because of Gene Hackman in Royal Tenenbaums?

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2696 on: October 27, 2011, 11:13:52 AM »

I was not suggesting that stereotypes are arbitrary.  Heuristics (as opposed to algorithms) are the predominant decision-making tool of humans, and stereotypes are the necessary - and often beneficial - result of those heuristics.  But I do not have to like them when they are employed in advertising to target individuals, as you point out.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2697 on: October 27, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
I find it annoying he doesn't specify WHICH Coltrane tracks he wants to hear. Giant Steps? Ascension? Makes no difference, I guess.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2698 on: October 27, 2011, 11:53:52 AM »
"“Remind me to get milk when I leave work.” Milk? Jeez, could you get more predictable?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Smelodies

« Reply #2699 on: October 27, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »
Again, a similarly positioned white actor could have said Coltrane, Madonna, The Beatles, or Beethoven, and none of those choices would have been deemed stereotypical or inappropriate. 

Which artist would have been more acceptable for the African American actor to say?