Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 911715 times)

KickTheBobo

Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #2715 on: October 27, 2011, 06:59:04 PM »
the thing that annoys me about it is that it's just lazy cut-and-paste writing on the part of the ad agency. Then again, I'm a music nerd who reads waaaay too much into the media I consume.

Soon Siri will be able to just stream a hologram of Saint Coltrane right into the middle of your cocktail party!

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2716 on: October 27, 2011, 07:08:23 PM »
I never thought of it as a question of obscurity. If anything, Coltrane (and jazz in general) is always the safe go-to reference in media/advertising to represent black professionals because to a white audience, Coltrane is somehow more "dignified" than a hip-hop reference, and everybody's happy. It is annoying, but Smelodies' point is just as valid - you can't win either way. It would just as dumb if he said he said "Play some Dream Theater."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2717 on: October 27, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »
What if he'd said "Play some Marsalis"?

EEEEWWWWW.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Sarah

« Reply #2718 on: October 27, 2011, 09:41:27 PM »
Again, a similarly positioned white actor could have said Coltrane, Madonna, The Beatles, or Beethoven, and none of those choices would have been deemed stereotypical or inappropriate. 

Which artist would have been more acceptable for the African American actor to say?

White Reign.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2719 on: October 27, 2011, 09:51:11 PM »
A buddy of mine who works for Twitter mentioned that Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes stopped by their offices today. Standard jorts and hockey muu-muu for Kevin, but a fresh bob haircut for Jason -

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2720 on: October 28, 2011, 04:54:06 AM »
"Put on some Coltrane. That shit's whack, yo!"

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2721 on: October 28, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »
"Play me some muthafuckin' Luther Vandross."
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2722 on: October 28, 2011, 03:01:44 PM »
A buddy of mine who works for Twitter mentioned that Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes stopped by their offices today. Standard jorts and hockey muu-muu for Kevin, but a fresh bob haircut for Jason -

Wait, but the other one's name is bob.

snacoman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2723 on: October 28, 2011, 05:55:33 PM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but, I can't stand the "funny" Halloween costumes at Halloween stores. I went to a Halloween store last night and it seems like this year the funny costumes are all boner related. 

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2724 on: October 29, 2011, 01:15:00 AM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but, I can't stand the "funny" Halloween costumes at Halloween stores. I went to a Halloween store last night and it seems like this year the funny costumes are all boner related.

I'm going as a slutty buffcoat.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2725 on: October 29, 2011, 09:40:39 AM »

Wait, but the other one's name is bob.

Maybe Kevin Smith will get a Jay Cut

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2726 on: October 29, 2011, 09:42:31 AM »

You should experience my slutty sewage-pipe maintenance crew costume. The authentic smell and toe-cleavage.

snacoman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2727 on: October 29, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »

You should experience my slutty sewage-pipe maintenance crew costume. The authentic smell and toe-cleavage.

I forgot about the slutty costumes.  There were a few strange ones like slutty Freddy Kruger, slutty Leatherface and slutty highway patrol zombie.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2728 on: October 29, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
I was thinking about a slutty Jason from Alabama, but how do you make that any sexier?

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2729 on: October 29, 2011, 10:42:02 AM »