Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 911735 times)

Bryan

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #2760 on: March 06, 2013, 09:36:03 AM »
The Jeselnik Offensive. Yikes.
Yeah, I think that guy is funny, but I only made it about 5 minutes into the first episode before bailing. Kroll Show seems to be getting better as the season goes on, though! I like that one.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2761 on: March 06, 2013, 12:44:59 PM »
Yeah, his standup can be good. But the show is trying to out-Tosh Tosh 2.0, which is a terrible strategy for comedy though probably good for money. I couldn't tell how much of the jokes were coming from writers or the comedians themselves. But that bit between him, Patton and Nick Kroll - unbearable.

You're right about Nick's show though. It's pretty weird, no laugh track, funny. And Jenny Slate is awesome.

cutout

• Space Champion!

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2763 on: March 06, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xMj_P_6H69g#!

Thank you. I feel like tons of people I respect are totally in the tank for Amanda Palmer but she leaves me cold. That whole Kickstarter tour then trying to get professional musicians to play for free for her was so sketchy. Her whole answer to that is "man, you don't know what it's like being a sidewalk artist, it's all for ART!" Yeah, well, you're no longer on the sidewalk. You need to pay professionals if you want professionals. The good of unions becomes evident when New York (with it's strong stage musicians union) was the only stop she planned on paying.

Also, it's so weird that she's married to Neil Gaiman. Kind of solidifies the stuff about Gaiman I don't like while liking a ton of things he's done (pretty much just Sandman).

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2764 on: March 06, 2013, 03:12:50 PM »
After watching some of that Amanda Palmer video, I've just realized that I think I hate TED talks.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2765 on: March 07, 2013, 03:23:13 AM »
Quoting a friend here: "TED talks are a merger of two venerable American snake-oil institutions: the chautauqua and the infomercial."
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2766 on: March 07, 2013, 03:27:46 AM »
To the point of TED talks:
JRE: Eddie Huang TED Conference Exposed

They all sound like a great bunch and Sarah Silverman also had a great time with them, right?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2767 on: March 07, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »
After watching some of that Amanda Palmer video, I've just realized that I think I hate TED talks.

If you hate TED talks, you may like this:

http://blogs.hbr.org/haque/2013/03/lets_save_great_ideas_from_the.html

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2768 on: March 07, 2013, 09:44:12 AM »
Quoting a friend here: "TED talks are a merger of two venerable American snake-oil institutions: the chautauqua and the infomercial."

A great quote, and even better after I wiki'ed 'chautauqua'.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2769 on: March 07, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »
I hate TED talks even more than i hate TED the movie.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2770 on: March 07, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »
The shadowy figure at the center of the TED movement takes his name from the two adjectives that best describe his creation:

Pat Smug

Also, didn't the Monty Python sketch "How to Do It" thoroughly anticipate TED 40+ years ago?

Alan: ... first, here's Jackie to tell you how to rid the world of all known diseases.

Jackie: Well, first of all become a doctor and discover a marvelous cure for something, and then, when the medical world really starts to take notice of you, you can jolly well tell them what to do and make sure they get everything right so there'll never be diseases any more.

Alan: Thanks Jackie, that was great.

Noel: Fantastic.

Alan: Now, how to play the flute. (picking up a flute) Well you blow in one end and move your fingers up and down the outside.

Noel: Great Alan. Well, next week we'll be showing you how black and white people can live together in peace and harmony, and Alan will be over in Moscow showing you how to reconcile the Russians and the Chinese. Til then, cheerio.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

MrGtD

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2771 on: March 07, 2013, 08:09:34 PM »
Anyone else hate Greg Gutfeld?

He's no good, but Andy Levy seems like a decent dude.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2772 on: March 08, 2013, 11:17:13 AM »
I think they're both pretty funny.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2773 on: March 08, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »
I hate the lazy jokes and story lines and the cheesy sentimentality on this season of Commuity.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2774 on: March 11, 2013, 12:09:36 AM »
My take on Amanda Palmer? It's like Avril Lavigne hired Tori Amos as her principal songwriter. And I really wanted to like it, but it didn't happen.