Author Topic: WELCOME NEW PEOPLE!  (Read 290934 times)

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: WELCOME NEW PEOPLE!
« Reply #405 on: July 21, 2009, 10:17:53 AM »
I'll say Mag Earwig Do the Collapse even though it's the produced one that all the superfans hate

Fixed.

(Who doesn't love Mag Earwhig? DtC, on the other hand...)

Oh yeah DtC does have the Ric Ocasek thing going on. I stand corrected but I have heard Mag referred to as the go to album but I always felt that it was near the top of the heap.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #406 on: July 21, 2009, 01:25:15 PM »
(jenny)fromaway, ive thrown you on the twitter as well. 

as for gbv mixtape trades, since youre new to the board, ill direct you to the FOT Barter Thread: http://www.friendsoftom.com/forum/index.php/topic,4798.0.html

this will ensure you receive as much as you give.  if not more.  welcome to the best message board youve ever been on. 

fromaway

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #407 on: July 21, 2009, 05:28:24 PM »
It's true that sometimes greatest hits are for housewives and little girls, in the words of Kids in the Hall. I recommend starting with Bee Thousand, Pastor Josh.

Also: Thanks, iBVT! I will totally check that out! I'm a fan of this messageboard already.
she sleeps now

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #408 on: July 21, 2009, 09:22:37 PM »
It's true that sometimes greatest hits are for housewives and little girls, in the words of Kids in the Hall. I recommend starting with Bee Thousand, Pastor Josh.

Also: Thanks, iBVT! I will totally check that out! I'm a fan of this messageboard already.

"Bee Thousand, Pastor Josh" is a dumb name for an album.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Pastor Josh

« Reply #409 on: July 21, 2009, 11:38:33 PM »

"Bee Thousand, Pastor Josh" is a dumb name for an album.

I know, right?  It should be "Bee Pastor, Thousand Josh."
Who I don't have chocolate?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #410 on: July 22, 2009, 08:00:59 AM »
Pastor Josh: "Wow.  I feel I should reward you with a similar lesson in contemporary Christian pop music.

It pretty much all sucks.  Lesson over."

Preach it, brother! To paraphrase a popular saying from the 70's, why does God have all the music that sucks? This is a constant bone of contention between me and the other musicians at my church. Some of the songs that we are asked to play literally make me queasy. There is the rare exception; I recently played guitar in accompaniment of AFK's singing of a beautiful Roby Duke song called "Cathedral Walk". But really, the level of creativity in most popular Christian music really makes it easy to knuckle under to "God is dead" arguments. If that's the soundtrack in heaven, I hope to be deaf.

Sarah

« Reply #411 on: July 22, 2009, 10:09:32 AM »
In the olden days, church music was the bee's knees.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #412 on: July 22, 2009, 10:26:40 AM »
church music thats laced with serious soul is very good and sometimes overwhelming if youre in the midst of it, but its amazing to be around.  i enjoy it.

my problem with most pop music directed towards God and worship is the lack of depth in the lyrics, the melody, and the construction of any song- it makes me ill when i hear christian pop, etc. music.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #413 on: July 22, 2009, 10:50:58 AM »
In the olden days, church music was the bee's knees.

It was good when it was influencing pop music, instead of being a weak copy. 

My second biggest objection to mainstream American religion (after the regressive moral teachings but before the metaphysical errors) is that it's really tacky.  From wearing street clothes to church, to the ugly buildings themselves, to the music--come on.  I'm not saying it should all be High Church style, but protestantism used to have a number of nice aesthetics--from Quaker simplicity to Calvinist severity to the classic little white Baptist church. 

You're never going to attract dandies and aesthetes with these McMansion churches.

Sarah

« Reply #414 on: July 22, 2009, 11:07:06 AM »
I'm talking really olden times here.  Gregorian chants.  Mr. Bach.  That kind of thing.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #415 on: July 22, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »
I'm talking really olden times here.  Gregorian chants.  Mr. Bach.  That kind of thing.

Ah, I'm talking more shape note singing and gospel.

And Sarah, P.D.Q. Bach isn't a real composer.

Sarah

« Reply #416 on: July 22, 2009, 11:14:41 AM »
Whuuuuuuuuuut?!

Pastor Josh

« Reply #417 on: July 22, 2009, 11:34:57 AM »

Ah, I'm talking more shape note singing and gospel.

And Sarah, P.D.Q. Bach isn't a real composer.

Yes he is!  He invented rap.
Who I don't have chocolate?

breadharrity

• Policemans heel
« Reply #418 on: August 01, 2009, 02:09:47 AM »
this is the best place I can think of posting this since it's such a noobish thing to say, but who should I message to change my username?

Reeleyes

« Reply #419 on: August 01, 2009, 02:26:04 AM »
Just click 'profile' and I think it's 'account related settings' so I guess the answer to your question is: you.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.