Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 860598 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #1935 on: April 30, 2012, 12:19:39 PM »
The further good news is that somewhere between several and many prominent local conservatives have taken positions against the amendment because of its overly broad language, which will kill the idea of civil unions for both gays and straights, as well as make life difficult for companies and municipalities that want to offer benefits.

Many people who are for the amendment are also for civil unions - they just don't understand what the amendment does.  And 10% of likely voters believe the amendment will LEGALIZE gay marriage.

One key learning here is that it should be harder to alter the North Carolina Constitution.  However, in all fairness, all this is driven by the GOP takeover in 2010.  The NC Democrats picked the worst year ever (redistricting, a weak governor) to give up decades of one party rule.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Kormod

« Reply #1936 on: April 30, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »

Kormod

« Reply #1937 on: May 02, 2012, 09:28:19 AM »
Mitt Romney saved someone's daughter:

Saved

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1938 on: May 02, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »
However, in all fairness, all this is driven by the GOP takeover in 2010.  The NC Democrats picked the worst year ever (redistricting, a weak governor) to give up decades of one party rule.

I've been surprised to find that a lot of the Southern States have been Democratic until not very long ago. A lot went Republican from the late 1990s on out.
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1939 on: May 02, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
However, in all fairness, all this is driven by the GOP takeover in 2010.  The NC Democrats picked the worst year ever (redistricting, a weak governor) to give up decades of one party rule.

I've been surprised to find that a lot of the Southern States have been Democratic until not very long ago. A lot went Republican from the late 1990s on out.

That's because the Democratic Party was the Party of Horrible Racism in the South until the 1970s - because of Lincoln.  Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond were Democrats until the 70s.

North Carolina is still more conservative than, say, the Northeast, but 1) an influx of people from around the country and the world, 2) rising urbanization, and, 3) let's face it, the daily dying off of people who were once segregationists and birth of people for whom gay rights is just common sense have moved us in a more moderate direction.

Also, North Carolina in specific was more chill than the other states throughout the Civil Rights era - NC is associated with (successful) lunch-counter sit-ins rather than fire hoses.  Even the angry oldsters are mostly on-board with maintaining some of that reputation.

Still...

N.C. Preacher Tells Parents to Crack Wrists, Punch Effeminate Children

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1940 on: May 02, 2012, 08:49:35 PM »
Jim Hightower says:

Stand Up for Main Street gives you a chance to join some real characters — funny folks like Ray Romano, Marc Maron, Dana Gould, Wendy Liebman, Rick Overton, Erik Rivera and Morgan Murphy — in support of Public Citizen’s fight against the corporate greedheads and the political boneheads.

It’s all happening this coming Sunday, April 29, in Los Angeles, California.

Last year, the event sold out, so rustle up your tickets right now!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1941 on: May 03, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »
Jim Hightower says:

Stand Up for Main Street gives you a chance to join some real characters — funny folks like Ray Romano, Marc Maron, Dana Gould, Wendy Liebman, Rick Overton, Erik Rivera and Morgan Murphy — in support of Public Citizen’s fight against the corporate greedheads and the political boneheads.

Uhhhh....

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1942 on: May 03, 2012, 12:39:02 PM »
Jim Hightower says:

Uhhhh....

Haven't you heard of time machines? Jeez.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1943 on: May 03, 2012, 09:29:55 PM »
Jim Hightower says:

Uhhhh....
My paste is very slow.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1944 on: May 04, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »
Fair enough. Sometimes I leave tabs open for weeks before getting back to them.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1945 on: May 04, 2012, 10:35:06 PM »
Re: the North Carolina marriage amendment and our failed experiment in democracy:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/05/marriage-amendment-still-leads-by-14.html

Facepalm quote:

The problem for opponents is that only 40% of voters actually know that the amendment bans both gay marriage and civil unions. With those voters the amendment is failing by a 60-38 margin. But with voters who think all the amendment does is ban gay marriage, 27% of the electorate, it's passing by a 72-27 margin. And with voters who admit they don't actually know what the amendment does, 26% of the electorate, it leads by a 64-28 margin. The more voters understand the full implications of the amendment the less likely they are to support it, but the clock is ticking.

"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1946 on: May 04, 2012, 11:47:24 PM »
Further, 10% of voters believe it will *legalize* gay marriage.  That is not a joke.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1947 on: May 05, 2012, 03:48:35 PM »
Well, finally some good news! Florida justices seem finally to be showing some doubts about the principle behind that "Stand Your Ground" law!

Uh...when the shooter is black, that is.  And the victim is her abusive husband: http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/24/justice/ac360-stand-your-ground-law/index.html

"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1948 on: May 06, 2012, 07:59:06 AM »
Well, finally some good news! Florida justices seem finally to be showing some doubts about the principle behind that "Stand Your Ground" law!

Uh...when the shooter is black, that is.  And the victim is her abusive husband: http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/24/justice/ac360-stand-your-ground-law/index.html

On the plus side, her ex-husband sounds like a real peach.

puppycity

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1949 on: May 08, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »
NC'ers, get out and vote on Prop 1 NOW! Polls close at 7:00 PM and I have no catty comment to follow up with.