Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 853768 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: Why The Dems Might Lose
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2008, 06:58:30 PM »
All the Republicans I know are Federalist society/lawyer/public policy nerd types, and they are pretty open about their personal disdain for the bible belt crowd.  That's the biggest tension I see.  (Even the more religious ones tend to be "high church" types---the Catholic church is becoming hegemonically dominant among some intellectual conservatives---but I'm not totally convinced that they sincerely believe in the Deep Magic rather than trying to anchor themselves in the West.)

I sense some unease between more internationally oriented, and more "America first" oriented Democrats.  However, overall it seems they've been better able to reconcile the different interest groups that make up their base.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2008, 07:57:51 PM »
All the Republicans I know are Federalist society/lawyer/public policy nerd types, and they are pretty open about their personal disdain for the bible belt crowd.

Many who identify that way also claim 'South Park Republican' beliefs. My stepdad is that way. I can tell he wants to rip on fundamentalist conservatives just as much, but he's more comfortable ripping on airheaded celebrity liberals.

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2008, 03:32:44 AM »
I get more and more nervous about this election every day.

Here's a pretty good editorial about its international implications:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/10/uselections2008.barackobama

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2008, 08:10:11 AM »

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2008, 12:04:53 PM »

Follow through, Barack. Follow through.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2008, 12:46:38 PM »
Imagine the shower of powdery bone dust that would cover everyone if Obama followed through.

Wes

« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2008, 02:01:05 PM »

Events immediately preceding this photo:
  • Obama tells McCain that McCain has earned his respect, is tired of being enemies
  • Obama extends hand of friendship, wary McCain does not trust Obama, looks back and forth to crowd for advice
  • Crowd cheers for McCain to shake Obama's hand
  • McCain and Obama shake hands and smile to delight of crowd
  • McCain turns to walk away but Obama does not release handshake
  • Obama stops smiling, pulls McCain back towards him

A textbook Randall Savage Handshake Attack from Obama.
This may be the year I will disappear.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2008, 02:13:04 PM »
In an all-out fistfight between these two, I'd pick Obama, but in reality he's way too much of a gentleman for that. I could see McCain starting a fistfight.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2008, 02:25:11 PM »
In an all-out fistfight between these two, I'd pick Obama, but in reality he's way too much of a gentleman for that. I could see McCain starting a fistfight.

I thought McCain only attempted to fight elderly women in wheelchairs. OOOH SMEAR! 

njkaters

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2008, 02:31:06 PM »
I agree that Obama would be too much of a gentleman...In a perfect world, they would resolve their issues in a Jules Verne, "Around the World in Eighty Days" style with hot air balloons, elephant rides and such.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2008, 02:49:37 PM »
There's still time for that!

njkaters

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2008, 02:53:08 PM »
yeah, they may need to do an abbreviated one...like "Around the World in 53 days." It would fit well between "Hole in the Wall" and "Do Not Disturb" on Fox. 

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2008, 04:30:56 PM »
Man, Clinton looks like he's 70. Just think what McCain would look like after a presidency.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2008, 05:25:09 PM »
I agree that Obama would be too much of a gentleman...In a perfect world, they would resolve their issues in a Jules Verne, "Around the World in Eighty Days" style with hot air balloons, elephant rides and such.

That would be awesome.

You know what I'd like to see?  A completely unfair fight, like "Dueling Lecturers in American Constitutional Law" featuring Obama and McCain. Instead of having a fourth debate, there would be an on-the-spot, extemporaneous lecture on some aspect of Con Law, like the history of the Commerce Clause, school desegregation or the Lochner era. The topic would be drawn from a hat by Nina Totenberg, with five minutes of preparation for each candidate. That would be even awesomer.

Then both candidates would be thrown into the pit of lime green jello, and made to climb their way out.

<<<<<

« Reply #224 on: September 11, 2008, 05:34:59 PM »
It really isn't the lack of a third party that gets me, it's the decade of heavy, heavy shit going down and through it all we can't budge a 50/50 ideological deadlock??  Mind boggling.