Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 854044 times)

wwwes

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Why The Dems Might Lose
« Reply #360 on: September 27, 2008, 12:04:13 PM »
I totally disagree, McCain came off as an expert on foreign affairs even though he's completely wrong... and they both told their half-truths but both parties portrayed their platform pretty accurately. I'm surprised that Obama is showing up in polls as the winner... that's encouraging because it shows that the independents might have been with him before the debate even started.
People who want to hear a real discussion on the issues made up their minds after the convention or before. They've been following the news and have looked online a couple of times. People undecided before the debates don't give a damn about issues, they go by the feeling they get from the candidates and who they think has integrity. Who seems "presidential" and who they want to see interrupting American Idol for the next four years. We'll see what happens in the next few days, though.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #361 on: September 27, 2008, 12:28:29 PM »
Obama said orgy!

Sarah

« Reply #362 on: September 27, 2008, 03:10:04 PM »
And now you're going to vote for him, right? 

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #363 on: September 27, 2008, 03:33:36 PM »
88% of responders to the Fox News poll said that McCain won the debate.  Sounds like a pretty decisive victory.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #364 on: September 27, 2008, 03:44:55 PM »
88% of responders to the Fox News poll said that McCain won the debate.  Sounds like a pretty decisive victory.

Consider the source.

If anybody won, it was Obama. McCain was plenty fiesty and made a lot of attacks, but he didn't personalize them. Obama was constantly looking at McCain and saying, "John, you're wrong." McCain never threw it back in his face; he was constantly saying, "Senator Obama doesn't understand." If he had slipped "you" in there, I think he would have come off a lot better. It didn't help that McCain didn't look Obama in the eye except for the handshakes before and after the debate. He wasn't willing to engage on the level Obama was, and I think he suffered for that.

McCain won some points from me when he finally copped to the fact that it was his party who - for the most part - led us into this mess. He needed to clear the air and he made a noble attempt at it. However, any points he might've won from me were taken back minutes later, when he whined about how having access to billions of pork dollars "corrupts" politicians. Um, it corrupts you only if you let it. Apparently the American people are at fault for not electing people of more noble character, people with a backbone who could resist the temptations of all that money. Whatever "personal accountability" angle he was pushing forward slid wildly out of control on that one, for me at least. It seemed like a pretty pathetic thing to say. 
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #365 on: September 27, 2008, 04:16:26 PM »
I secretly suspect that McCain doesn't really want the job, he's just stuck in it.

I absolutely agree with this and I'm so glad to hear it expressed. I can't help thinking that John McCain has become more disillusioned with his country and party than he ever expected he would be, making his internal thoughts sound a lot like Gob Bluth's "I've made a huuuge mistake." Everything about his campaign has been so geared towards gaining poll numbers in the short term, with so little long term thinking, and I think McCain would have had it be so much different, if he was truly in control of his own run for office.

Aside from that, I cant help thinking of him as David Cross' character in this Mr. Show sketch. No more news!

Jason

« Reply #366 on: September 27, 2008, 04:24:04 PM »
I thought it was a draw and was quite surprised that they didn't go into extra time or sudden death penalties.

wwwes

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #367 on: September 27, 2008, 08:23:34 PM »
he whined about how having access to billions of pork dollars "corrupts" politicians. Um, it corrupts you only if you let it. Apparently the American people are at fault for not electing people of more noble character, people with a backbone who could resist the temptations of all that money.
Joe Biden. 36 years. Big pork guy. Maximum net worth: $277,997.
Robert Byrd. Oldest member and most notorious pork barrel spender in the Senate. Maximum net worth: $350,000.

Pork barrel spending usually isn't about the person asking for it so much as it is about the place that they serve. Nothing wrong with it as long as it's transparent. Pork barrel spending creates jobs, enhances communities, fixes roads and bridges. Each project should be better evaluated and kept in the open, but it's not something that needs to be stopped.

I think McCain would have had it be so much different, if he was truly in control of his own run for office.
In an odd way, I think that's what made him pick Palin. It was him making a stand and refusing to go with the safe candidates chosen for him. Unfortunately, it appears as if it will blow up in his face. It's so sad. Had he won in 2000, we'd probably be a whole lot better off. But he was right for 2000, not now.

Of course, we all gotta give Obama some damn credit. If we were asked in 2004 who would be running in 2008, we ALL would have said it'd be Hillary running against McCain. We might not have been certain it would have been McCain, but we would have been certain it would be Hillary. Obama is on the verge of pulling off two of the biggest upsets in political history.

wwwes

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #368 on: September 27, 2008, 08:38:45 PM »
Or to put it another way, if John McCain were in the Senate with Mr. Smith, he would be lambasting him for wanting to build a public park with federal funds.

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #369 on: September 27, 2008, 10:16:52 PM »
John McCain likes the phrase "pork barrell" too much.  "Pork barrell" this "pork barrell" that.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #370 on: September 27, 2008, 10:24:08 PM »
John McCain likes the phrase "pork barrell" too much.  "Pork barrell" this "pork barrell" that.

It makes me think of delicious pork burritos, so there's that.

wwwes

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #371 on: September 27, 2008, 11:25:56 PM »
Interesting sidenote: The origin of the phrase "pork-barrel spending" is too disgusting to mention in polite conversation.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #372 on: September 27, 2008, 11:37:26 PM »
quit being so polite.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #373 on: September 27, 2008, 11:41:15 PM »
Clearly, it was a Tor Halversom win.

Also liked that Obama said "orgy," and that McCain said "existential."
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Forrest

« Reply #374 on: September 27, 2008, 11:58:04 PM »
I liked how much taller Obama was than McCain, and I liked running into Jason Grote on the street today.