Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 853751 times)

John Junk 2.0

Re: Why The Dems Might Lose
« Reply #420 on: September 30, 2008, 02:37:30 AM »
yesno, I appreciate your last post.  I'm inclined to agree with you because in general you seem way smarter and better informed than me.  On the other hand, I just have so little faith that it will actually be worth it if executed by the particular group of assholes running this particular country at this particular moment in time.

I think the point of a lot of the outrage stuff is that they pushed for something so fast, seemingly out of nowhere, that people like me haven't even had time to figure out what the fuck is going on, and in a so-called democracy, that's very upsetting.  So you need like more than a week and for something to happen that actually dramatically shits on the stock market and makes everyone mad before someone like me can actually be bothered to go and research and digest what is actually going on with the bailout thing.  I think there was a panic in the way this was proposed and brought to the American people, and I think, rightfully so, that the American people are just not fucking buying it from this Administration anymore.  There's just no more trust left (little bit of parroting of washington post happening right now on my part).  Okay, that's all.

I guess I have to admit that I'd rather have a bailout then to have my dad never be able to retire. 

The thing that fucking sucks is that in the supposed "good times" of a year ago, my dad's retirement was not entirely guaranteed then either.  That's the bullshit I mean. 

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #421 on: September 30, 2008, 03:24:15 AM »
From what I've learned the bailout is just a patch and a guess. If it doesn't work we're going to be in a real bad place for an extended period of time. We know what we're getting if we don't bailout... it's going to be real bad for a little bit, but we get the chance to clean things up and when we get out of it America will be better off. I'd rather take a near certainty than a gamble when it comes to this because I don't think anything is going to change if the bailout happens. Our country should be doing a lot better than it is but it's not because we keep patching things so we can live above our means. I think to get out of Reaganomics you have to let it implode on itself to make people realize this system hasn't worked for years. We can keep saying we need to do this first, we need to let these people retire first, some people need to get paid first. But, it's not going to change until we come to the realization that our economy sucks, stop patching it up and take the necessary steps to fix it.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #422 on: September 30, 2008, 03:43:01 AM »
Bottom line: Sweden! Sweden! Sweden!

Right?

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #423 on: September 30, 2008, 04:43:47 AM »
Trickle down economics...
it's all based on hating black people.

It's crazy how deep the hate goes, and they were the ones wronged.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #424 on: September 30, 2008, 06:41:35 AM »
I heard somebody yesterday (I think it was Robert Scheer) mention that fat cats will argue 364 days a year about the need for de-regulation and the importance of "letting the market work", but on that 1 other day, when they've destroyed the market, they want to be pulled into your boat, arguing that otherwise, America's economy will collapse.

It's as if your neighbors came over to your house with pick-axes and begin to beat away at the base of your house, telling you after 3 or 4 days that you'd better pay them to prevent further damage to your home, when what you really should do is just shoot the bastards.

Only 1 billion dollars worth of mortgages fall per day; 700 billion would float failing home-owners, who were welcomed into loans they could not handle, every day for 2 years. And since every dollar injected into the economy is supposedly worth seven dollars by the time it's changed hands throughout its life cycle, that path would inject the equivalent of 7 billion a day into the economy every single day.

Or we could give it all to Pat Paulson.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #425 on: September 30, 2008, 08:20:45 AM »
Yeah, if Trig had been female, the name they picked was Sussudio.

now you're thinking in the right direction.  the US Political System is the new WWF.

is that Sarah Palin's husband?

Unlikely, I hear he's a separatist.

I think that's her son, Genesis.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #426 on: September 30, 2008, 09:08:12 AM »
Now that Drudge's headline is not red I no longer think the issue is urgent.

Sarah

« Reply #427 on: September 30, 2008, 09:44:46 AM »
Yeah, if Trig had been female, the name they picked was Sussudio.

now you're thinking in the right direction.  the US Political System is the new WWF.

is that Sarah Palin's husband?

Unlikely, I hear he's a separatist.

I think that's her son, Genesis.

Isn't this one of the Geico cavemen?

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #428 on: September 30, 2008, 09:49:17 AM »
Trickle down economics...
it's all based on hating black people.

It's crazy how deep the hate goes, and they were the ones wronged.

You're not actually voting in this election, are you?
from the land of pleasant living

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #429 on: September 30, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »
You can afford to say that Emma, sittin' up there in Toronto, all smug and having a good laugh at the Americans and their foolishness. Oh, I bet you and your compadres are having a few good belly laughs right about now. And I can't blame you. I would too, if I were you.

Well, times are hard this side of the border and they're about to get a whole lot harder.

I'd say most Canadians are just about as worried about the U.S. elections as U.S. citizens are. We depend on you, and we like you, so we take it all pretty personally.

Plus, we're embroiled in our own nasty little election, and up here, the good guys have about ZERO chance of winning. Our Prime Minister is a G.W.B. Jr., and he's in the process of solidifying his power here. So that pretty much sucks.

BUT, at least hoagies are finally getting their due in election coverage:
CHEESESTEAKS, PAKISTAN AND DEBATES

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. -- Palin ventured out for cheesesteaks Saturday night, taking a break from her debate prep to get the city's specialty sandwich, wit whiz.

Palin went to Tony Luke's in South Philly, bypassing two better known establishments: Pat's, where John Kerry asked for a cheesesteak with provolone in 2004, and Geno's, which has run afoul of local groups for a sign on its exterior demanding patrons order in English.

Palin ordered a cheesesteak for herself and daughter Willow, with Cheez Whiz and fried onions. She told a pool reporter she watched Friday's debate.

“McCain did awesome," she said. "He was great. He was absolutely on his game.”

She also said she was excited for her debate with Biden on Thursday.

“Look forward to it," she said. "Look forward to getting to speak to Americans through that debate, absolutely.”

Palin spoke to one patron's friend on his cell phone, and answered a couple of questions on Pakistan from another. Michael Rovito asked her specifically whether U.S. forces should cross the border from Afghanistan to Pakistan.

“If that’s what we have to do stop the terrorists from coming any further in, absolutely, we should," she said.

[...]

On Pakistan, McCain had to answer for them on ABC’s This Week. "This business of, in all due respect, people going around and -- with sticking a microphone while conversations are being held, and then all of a sudden that's -- that's a person's position, this is a free country, but I don't think most Americans think that that's a definitive policy statement made by Governor Palin,” McCain said. “And I would hope you wouldn't, either."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/28/1462079.aspx

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #430 on: September 30, 2008, 10:20:32 AM »
It might bring a painful recession, but it will be quick. What the bailout will bring is a long, mid-level recession with the dollar in the gutter when we get out and if Obama gets elected, that will be his legacy...

On what basis do you claim that the recession will be "quick?"

And one what basis do you claim that the bailout will bring a "long, mid-level recession?"

chrisfoll577

« Reply #431 on: September 30, 2008, 10:23:46 AM »
BUT, at least hoagies are finally getting their due in election coverage:

Including the time when John Kerry ordered his Cheesesteak with Swiss Cheese, Hoagies and Steaks have always been a factor in politics in The Birthplace of America:

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #432 on: September 30, 2008, 10:56:15 AM »
Pelosi's speech seemed to have had more impact than originally thought:

It was perhaps the costliest ad lib in political history, 90 seconds of ill-judged, ill-timed bile that helped to kill off any hope of consensus on Capitol Hill.

That was the charge against Nancy Pelosi after Congress’s rejection of the $700 billion Wall Street bailout plan yesterday, a rejection that Republicans blamed directly on her aggressive and overtly partisan speech shortly before the vote.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #433 on: September 30, 2008, 11:00:20 AM »
Isn't that just partisan nonsense? The content of her speech wasn't terribly controversial. The Republicans are just trying to blame the Dems for this mess. Weak.

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #434 on: September 30, 2008, 11:01:34 AM »
Wait wait wait... a political party blaming another political party!? I am shocked and appalled!