Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 853683 times)

John Junk 2.0

Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #540 on: October 07, 2008, 04:30:43 PM »
Our choice tonight is between the show and the debate. Which will you choose?

I'm listening to the Best Show.

If it were a regular debate, then the debate.  But a "town hall"?  Best Show by a mile.

Not only a "town hall", but one in which any questions from "regular citizens" were provided to the candidates in advance.
...via youtube.  Filmed on Main Street.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #541 on: October 08, 2008, 07:32:24 AM »
I ended up watching the debate. Sounds like I missed a good show.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #542 on: October 08, 2008, 08:21:56 AM »
You guys, I'm writing a paper right now and I used the phrase "fundamental difference." I'm thinking about putting something else.  Ugh. That, along with "Now, Look" and "My Friends" are phrases I never want to hear again after this election is over.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #543 on: October 08, 2008, 08:47:09 AM »
I ended up watching the debate. Sounds like I missed a good show.

I watched the debate, too, and afterwards felt like I should have listened to TBS instead.  There's always the podcast.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #544 on: October 08, 2008, 09:15:09 AM »
I know why I listened to the debate now. It wasn't because we're at war and all that other stuff I said yesterday. It's just that I want to see what kind of lies McCain is telling up there... I like to see what kind of BS the candidates put out first-hand instead of via the news.

So, in short, I'm a masochist.

But I can always listen to the archive today at work and it'll undoubtedly make my day go that much faster :)
from the land of pleasant living

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #545 on: October 08, 2008, 09:26:34 AM »
"That One" ended up a comfortable winner. How about the whole "not shaking hands" thing at the end?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI0iIOqPGak
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #546 on: October 08, 2008, 09:38:32 AM »
That was a great move. I initially thought he just pulled a Belichick there, but it was much slicker. I'm going to try that this week, when somebody goes for a handshake, I'll give that curt nod and point to someone next to me and give the "No, you're shaking that hand" signal instead. This is a handshake gamechanger.

What does he say after that? He says something, and Obama nods, acknowledging that the handshake isn't coming. 'I just sneezed'? 'I've lost all feeling in that hand'?

Watching it again, I think what he actually does is pull that move where you tap somebody's shoulder from behind on the opposite side, and when they turn to look, you go all "Nope, wasn't me!" Classic. I would have turned my approval dial through the roof on that one. I hope he does the one where you walk up behind somebody and hit your knees into the backs of their knees so they almost fall at the last debate.

Has anybody found any photos with the guy who looks like Jackie Martling with a moustache over Obama's shoulder yet?
This may be the year I will disappear.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #547 on: October 08, 2008, 09:52:31 AM »
It was odd how Obama stuck around and chatted with some of the audience members, while McCain left fairly abruptly after the debate, and some of the audience mentioned that afterwards. It seems like something that shouldn't matter, but considering that a lot of those people will be interviewed in coming days, it's probably a lesson learned for future candidates at events like this one.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #548 on: October 08, 2008, 10:08:47 AM »
It's just that I want to see what kind of lies McCain is telling up there...

Don't hold me to this, but I'm willing to bet that Obama lied also. 

But that's cool he stuck around. I listened on the radio, so I obviously didn't see that.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #549 on: October 08, 2008, 10:49:38 AM »
Yeah... but I tend to think of Obama's as just a little bullshitting vs bold-faced lies. Which makes me some sort of bleeding heart who doesn't care much about double standards or the true definition of "bullshit" ;)
from the land of pleasant living

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #550 on: October 08, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Elections are nothing but bullshitting and pandering, but I do think that I'd rather have Obama and Biden in the White House than McCain and Palin. I didn't really care enough about either candidate before her nomination, but the idea of Sarah Palin being that close to the presidency frightens me SO much.

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #551 on: October 08, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »
Elections are nothing but bullshitting and pandering, but I do think that I'd rather have Obama and Biden in the White House than McCain and Palin. I didn't really care enough about either candidate before her nomination, but the idea of Sarah Palin being that close to the presidency frightens me SO much.

what are you, anti-woman?

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #552 on: October 08, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »

what are you, anti-woman?

I'll have you know that there's a special place in hell for women who don't support other women.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #553 on: October 08, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »

(Jacked from the Washington Post website, and I think they jacked it from elsewhere).
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #554 on: October 08, 2008, 01:39:06 PM »
I thought the reaction to the "That One" was kind of humorless. Much like this thread! Who cares, really? No, he probably doesn't like Obama much personally, sees him as a young smooth operator. Whatever, leave it at that.

What I'm surprised by is how McCain said to that (black) audience member who asked a question, "I bet you never heard of Fannie and Freddie until this crisis came along."

I was like, what?!?  Dude might have heard of them, might not. Might be a financial analyst or an economist who understands the economy better than you, old man. Why ask the question?

My conclusion about McCain: not very socially sensitive, and probably not a good host of cocktail parties.